Glock 42

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by loc, Aug 18, 2018.

1. loc

loc

magguts?

Reliable or not so much.

Risk you life on an extra round?

slamdunc likes this.
  2. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

You answered your own question. If it's a range toy, great, if you depend on it for your life, not so great.

Lawdog3 likes this.

3. Toni77

Toni77

A couple of 380 to the face at close range is more than enough.

ILeft likes this.
  4. wlkjr

wlkjr

I shoot about 12 GSSF matches a year and I have Pearce +1's on all my mags. They are completely reliable and I have them on my self-defense mags too. I'm not concerned at all.

Lawdog3 and GlockyQ like this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I carry MagGuts +1 in my G42. They have been 100% reliable for many thousands of rounds, 5K+ with all bullet profiles, including Lehighs. I haven't had the same luck with them in my G43, but since I modded the ejector, they have been 100% even in that application.

6. ILeft

ILeft

I've been carrying my G- 42 most of the summer, conceals easily under a t-shirt.
    I think getting your gun in the fight and getting shots on target are more important than caliber.
    The G-42 is reliable, and I'll be honest. I buy 1 kind of ammo for it, CCI blazer brass 95 grain fmj.

michael_b, WeeWilly and HEXE9 like this.
  7. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

MagGuts in all our 42 mags and never a single hiccup thru many thousands down range.

I trust them every bit as much as a stock 42 mag.

DonGlock26, Lawdog3, -JCN- and 3 others like this.
  8. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

Yup. I prefer these extensions as well. More purchase for the hand equals more accuracy.

9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

For you. For me, I actually shoot my subcompacts, etc. better with no extension. Probably some grip defect that sciolist could fix right up if we were shooting together.

G19Cfan likes this.
  10. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Out hiking right now, will post a pic when I get back to a bigger screen. ;)

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

The mod is to eliminate some of the bottom corner of the ejector that presses down on the head of the top round, helping limit the canting of the top round. In my G43 (and also the guy who came up with this mod, GunQuest), the top round presses hard enough into the bottom of the ejector that the round cants to the left (nose left). With OEM springs (at least fresh ones), the spring presses hard enough that even on the last round, JHP's will feed fine.

When I tried the MagGuts +1 kit, I found last rounds of my favored HST and Gold Dots, would snag on the chamber side going in and cause a feed failure. The MagGuts spring in the G43 kit uses a leaf spring which is softer than wire wound springs, so it doesn't press the top round quite as hard into the feed lips, straightening the round in time before the mouth of the hollow point misses the chamber mouth.

By taking the inside corner off the ejector, you don't get as much top round cant and thus, no feed problems. It should be noted that not all G43's even see this issue. It seems to be a tolerance stacking thing that only some guns have the problem.

GlockyQ, ObiJuan and Dr glock19 like this.
  13. Dr glock19

Dr glock19

I personally don't like mag extensions I would much rather just use a factory mag with bigger capacity like a g17 mag in a g19 for a carry gun,but like slam said range is ok,mag spring strength is critical in a glock more important than most realize,its not worth the +1 imo,I'd just carry a extra mag, but to each his own,for carry the only mag going in my gun is a fully metal lined factory mag

14. peepaw

peepaw Armed Ole Fart

I've only tried the Magguts kit in my 43. So far it has run perfectly. Almost 400 rounds through that mag.
    No problem so far.

GlockyQ likes this.
  15. powernoodle

powernoodle

Hitting a moving 6" x 9" oval while someone is trying to kill you is probably more difficult than one might think. In fact, trying to do anything under those circumstances - including bladder control - would be quiet daunting.

Incorporate the running machete man shoot-the-face drill in your next training exercise:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txTtF3_7f2s

Many of you have had good results after tampering with your magazines, and I appreciate Mr. Willy's extensive testing and data. But I have never had an OEM mag fail in a defensive encounter (because I have never had a defensive encounter), so I'll stick with what works. Plus you gotta drop $150 in carry ammo to make sure that extra round always goes bang, and for me that does not pass the cost/benefit test. But I enjoy reading about you guys who do it.

16. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Yes sir. I always test what I'm carrying BEFORE things have a chance to go bad.

17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I won't comment on the merits of "standing your ground" and working The Mozambique on a charging male with a machete, but do think your point regarding modifying your Glock is a good one.

Some of us have a lot of mechanical appitude, so understanding the details of this stuff comes pretty naturally. I have enough confidence in my own aptitude and can make simulator loads to my carry loads that testing throughly is not a strain on the budget. A normal pratice session with a shot timer is roughly 400 rounds, so if I didn't have the ability to make my own at pennies on the dollar, none of that would be in the cards.

Anyone who has the slightest doubt about what all this is about, would be very well advised to follow your lead and stick with stock, all the way.

GlockyQ, Lawdog3 and slamdunc like this.
  18. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

I have used Magguts since the 01 was the newest magazine revision and I have never experienced a failure I could attribute to them. They leave enough slack for the magazine to be inserted on a closed slide. I look at that as a barometer of whether a magazine is pushed past it’s limit or not. I carry my 42 every day every where in a smart carry with a spare magguts installed 7 round factory magazine. It’s basically the modern day 38 snub nose with two reloads (15 rounds), that I can shoot quickly and accurately. When all I had was a 19, 26, and 27 there were days and places I wouldn’t carry because of the inconvenience or the ungun friendly environment. With the 42 in a smart carry, as long as there are no pat downs or metal detectors, I’m armed.

GlockyQ likes this.
  19. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

i have three mags with the pearce plus one and one mag with plus two from MaGills.
    no issues.
    for my sw bg, the magguts didnt work.

20. loc

loc

I’m guessing that magguts are fine for everyday carry. I will test them out with a couple of mags of carry rounds and a few boxes of round ball and see my results and such. Thanks for everyone’s input.