Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one of the first 42's and it had many FTE with all kinds of ammo. My cert. Glock gunsmith, after he fired it with same FTE, told me the 42 had a lot problems and to get a 43, which I did. I still like the size of the 42, are the earily problems now fixed? And what did they do to fix it.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
My early production gun had issues with the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag. At a gssf match armorer replaced a few parts with newer versions, and advised me to send my early mags to glock for replacement with the latest 03 revision. No issues since

·
Wut?
2,627 Posts
My brand new G42 is making its first trip to the range tomorrow, and I'm expecting that everything will go well. I was looking for an ultra-concealable companion for my G26, and after shooting both the 42 and 43 at my LGS, I went with the 42.

According to this article, the LAPD requires the use of CCI 95gr FMJ with their officers' backup 42s, and that's what I'm going with tomorrow.

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/380-acp-ammunition-comparison/

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Mine jammed when rookie shooters limp wristed.
Keep your wrist and arm locked on all semi auto's.
Ever see some shooters actually "recoil" their hand when they pull the trigger???
I carry 95 gr FMJ but just bought some Federal HST.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I bought a "used" Range Rental 42,...and the only issues were the "cheap-junk" Field n Stream ammo that would fail to feed at least twice per mag.
Other than that,with name brand ammo,Feocchi Remington Winchester Blazer....no problems.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I bought mine the first week they came out. After a couple hundred rounds and a thumb adjustment the issues cleared themselves. I did go ahead and make the parts updates later but not due to ongoing problems.

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
The 42 is too big for the dismal .380 and the early ones were fraught with problems. The 43 is just a tiny bit larger and carries a far superior round. Neither ones are true pocket pistols, even though I'm sure several will respond that they pocket carry all the time. I can fit a can of Coke in my pocket with the right pants.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Had ours for years. Got it not long after it came out. Never had a problem. Maybe you got a lemon?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think Tom probably got one with the bad extractor. Those were super early, AABxnnn series guns. It was even before the more subtle problems with the slide stop started to crop up, and Glock fixed those extractors almost immediately. I have an ABCxnnn gun that had the old slide stop and came with 02 mags. As it turned out, the slide stop worked just fine (remember, it's the random tolerance), but 03 mags were necessary. Of course, the extractor was okay too.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
The 42 is too big for the dismal .380
Too big? No. Its a pleasure to shoot -and control - a .380 with more than just your thumb and trigger finger as with the micro guns. Smaller guns (LCP II) go bang, but are more difficult to shoot accurately. Its just physics.

Dismal .380? No. I guarantee it would alter your behavior and mine as well.

The 43 is just a tiny bit larger
The difference in size and weight is noticeable on both the belt and in the pocket.

Neither ones are true pocket pistols
I asked my pocket, it said the 42 is a fine pocket gun. Many people on GT and elsewhere carry them in the pocket. I'm carrying a 42 in a thin kydex holster from PJ Holster right now, and had to check to make sure it was actually there. But I'm wearing 5.11 Tac-lite Pro pants, and not yoga pants, so its not a problem. When I wear yoga pants (to Wal-mart, Home Depot, weddings, etc.) I employ the Crack Carry method which is self-explanatory. It takes practice, but you spin away from the threat, grab your ankles, and fire away. If the dismal .380 doesn't dissuade bad conduct, your technique will. Trust me.

http://www.meninyogapants.com/

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
The 42 is too big for the dismal .380 and the early ones were fraught with problems. The 43 is just a tiny bit larger and carries a far superior round. Neither ones are true pocket pistols, even though I'm sure several will respond that they pocket carry all the time. I can fit a can of Coke in my pocket with the right pants.
I pocket carry my G42 quite frequently, my G43 is too big to pocket in most of my pants.

I shoot the G42 really well, like my G35 with gamer loads well, so putting rounds on target very fast is very easy. My carry round in my G42 is a 90gr XTP going 1200fps at the muzzle. Nobody want to take a 90gr XTP going 1200fps (actually, nobody want to take a 90gr XTP going 800fps).

When I want to pocket carry, the G42 is a great option. When I need to pocket carry even smaller, my P380 is a great option, if IWB works for what I am going to be wearing and where I am going, my G43 or Kimber MP9 are great options. When I am in the sticks, my G29 or G20 are great options.

It is great to have options.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Too big? No. Its a pleasure to shoot -and control - a .380 with more then just your thumb and trigger finger as with the micro guns. Smaller guns (LCP II) go bang, but are more difficult to shoot accurately. Its just physics.

Dismal .380? No. I guarantee it would alter your behavior and mine as well.

The difference in size and weight is noticeable on both the belt and in the pocket.

I asked my pocket, it said the 42 is a fine pocket gun. Many people on GT and elsewhere carry them in the pocket. I'm carrying a 42 in a thin kydex holster from PJ Holster right now, and had to check to make sure it was actually there. But I'm wearing 5.11 Tac-lite Pro pants, and not yoga pants, so its not a problem. When I wear yoga pants (to Wal-mart, Home Depot, weddings, etc.) I employ the Crack Carry method which is self-explanatory. It takes practice, but you spin away from the threat, grab your ankles, and fire away. If the dismal .380 doesn't dissuade bad conduct, your technique will. Trust me.

http://www.meninyogapants.com/
You know as well as I do that by, "Internet Commando Standards",...if'n you ain't carrying a full bling .50cal with 100 rounds in your camo "Happy Stick" you ain't S#it,...and yur gonna be dead by sundown tonight.

Edit:....at 50 yards weak handed.....

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I gotta wonder where you buy those pants. We have an LCP, LCP II and a Bodyguard, in addition to the 42 and 43. Most people that won't or can't shoot the first three, can enjoy the 42. The size, namely, the thickness make it much easier to control. Women that have fired my wife's 42, won't go beyond one shot from my 43. Also, the size and recoil difference is considerable between the two. I can easily pocket the first four and have. My Bodyguard has been my constant companion for probably six years, now. I can get away with pocket carrying my 43 with some pants, but I don't. I find it more suitable for IWB. If you think the 42 is huge, you should see the S&W Shield 380 EZ. It's actually bigger than the 43. It's not for me, but I'm sure it will satisfy the needs of some others. I have three special ladies in mind for that one.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
I pocket carry my G42 quite frequently, my G43 is too big to pocket in most of my pants.

I shoot the G42 really well, like my G35 with gamer loads well, so putting rounds on target very fast is very easy. My carry round in my G42 is a 90gr XTP going 1200fps at the muzzle. Nobody want to take a 90gr XTP going 1200fps (actually, nobody want to take a 90gr XTP going 800fps).

When I want to pocket carry, the G42 is a great option. When I need to pocket carry even smaller, my P380 is a great option, if IWB works for what I am going to be wearing and where I am going, my G43 or Kimber MP9 are great options. When I am in the sticks, my G29 or G20 are great options.

It is great to have options.
90xtp @ 1200 are reloads?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts