Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 42 since late last year and have just picked up a 43. I've really enjoyed the size and weight of the 42 vs my Shield 40. The 43 is more similar in size and weight to the Shield than the 42. Anyone with both decide to carry the 42 more than the 43?

· Registered
2,184 Posts
I've had the G43 for two range trips now and I don't see much reason for the G42 anymore.

The G43 seems more reliable. I encountered the premature lock back problem with certain ammo in the G42, though I think by sticking to ammo with better geometry, this can be avoided. The G43 has been 100% through it's first 650 rounds, and I'll be carrying it once I get a smooth faced trigger on it. I could not get the G43 to malfunction, though I tried mightily.

The G42 is a little lighter and has less recoil, but not much on either. In fact, I've been surprised how little recoil the G43 does have as a 9mm in this size - it's very manageable and comfortable to shoot. I did blister my trigger finger the first time out with 400 rounds, but a smooth trigger shoe will fix that.

For personal accuracy, I still have the most trouble shooting the G42 well among all my Glocks. The G43 hit the target much better from the start, though it will take a lot of practice before it works as well as the G26. Given the better round and cheaper ammo you get with 9mm, The 43 is it for me.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
I had a first release G42 and later, I got a G43. I absolutely loved shooting the G42, and because of its size compared to my other carry guns, I never left home unarmed.

The G43 is fun to shoot but like other Glocks, it gives me Glock knuckle which the G42 didn't give me. As in other threads, I turned my beloved G42 over to my sister in Houston to jumpstart her into getting her CHL due to an event in her life.

So if I had both still, I'd probably only carry the G43 due its higher level of effectiveness in a similar sized package.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Can you conceal the 43 comfortably in the same manner as you carry the 42, and still be able to draw as quickly and cleanly?
I had a kydex holster made by one of the sergeants in my agency. I really liked it but even though it was well made and was stealthy(didn't print), its retention was only enough to keep the pistol from falling out during a sprint. Drawing from it was great.

I have a Safariland holster for my G43(I can't remember the model) which has relatively good retention and it is still easy to draw from. An allen wrench controls the retention, and I have it pretty tight just so it won't fall out during a wrestling match. The only drawback from the Safariland and the custom made kydex is that it does print but not nearly as bad as my full sized carry weapons-G23 and H&K P2000.

· Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a G42 and the size is IMHO perfect for a BUG. The G42 last summer was used when needed depending on clothing. During the winter I used the G42 as a BUG in a Galco Ankle Glove. I purchased my G43 at the of April and have been using it as a EDC. I will probably switch back to my G26 for the winter but will continue to use the G42 as a BUG. Both the G42 and G43 are great shooters and typically Glock

· Registered
20 Posts
I had a first release G42 and later, I got a G43. I absolutely loved shooting the G42, and because of its size compared to my other carry guns, I never left home unarmed.

The G43 is fun to shoot but like other Glocks, it gives me Glock knuckle which the G42 didn't give me. As in other threads, I turned my beloved G42 over to my sister in Houston to jumpstart her into getting her CHL due to an event in her life.

So if I had both still, I'd probably only carry the G43 due its higher level of effectiveness in a similar sized package.
Agreed. Sold my 42 and carry the 43 every day. It is a rather amazing little pistol....

· Registered
2,184 Posts
Can you conceal the 43 comfortably in the same manner as you carry the 42, and still be able to draw as quickly and cleanly?
Nearly, but the G42 is slightly thinner. I use the same Remora holster for the G43 that I had made for the G42 (appendix carry).

If you pocket carry, the G42 is probably easier to handle, but I never do.

· Registered
118 Posts
I have both, and find both very easy to carry either IWB or OWB, Both have been 100% reliable I have kept the 42 as it is replacing my 238 which I ankle carried, My 43 replaced my 3rd gen S&W 3914
my 42 shoots like a laser with the Remington 88gr JHPs and reloads from Georgia arms. the 42 is just fun!
Both are keepers in my book

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Agreed. Sold my 42 and carry the 43 every day. It is a rather amazing little pistol....
I came out as a LEO back in '91 and our duty weapons were 9mm S&Ws at the time. A year or two later, our policy changed so we could carry Glocks so I was the first to carry one. The same thing happened for .40 S&W so I was the first to carry a .40 in my agency a couple of years later. I've had 9 different duty weapons since '91.

During our early training, we were turned off by 9mm with real world and testing data even though that's what we carried early on so that's who I jumped at carrying the "new" .40. Now, with all of the hoopla about bullet technology, 9mm being more controllable, 9mm being less expensive and higher magazine capacity than a .40, I'm warming up to the 9mm more and more.

Also, I believe I can be effective with a .380 if I had to use it in a critical situation because of my training and temperament. I don't recommend it to everyone if they want it for personal safety because of its lower level of effectiveness. Still, the .380 is no slouch and it is far far better than having just configuring your index finger and thumb into the shape of a handgun in a critical situation.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
I've had a 42 since late last year and have just picked up a 43. I've really enjoyed the size and weight of the 42 vs my Shield 40. The 43 is more similar in size and weight to the Shield than the 42. Anyone with both decide to carry the 42 more than the 43?
That would be me.
For my body and my clothing (business casual), the G42 pocket carries as comfortably and stealthily as an Airweight J-Frame.
The G43's slightly greater size and weight make it both significantly less comfortable and less concealable, for me.

In a belt holster, I can't tell any difference but then I can barely tell the difference with my G19, so that's what gets carried when I'm wearing a belt holster.

My G42 sits in my pocket, my G43 sits in my safe.

YMMV.

· Registered
124 Posts
That would be me.
For my body and my clothing (business casual), the G42 pocket carries as comfortably and stealthily as an Airweight J-Frame.
The G43's slightly greater size and weight make it both significantly less comfortable and less concealable, for me.

In a belt holster, I can't tell any difference but then I can barely tell the difference with my G19, so that's what gets carried when I'm wearing a belt holster.

My G42 sits in my pocket, my G43 sits in my safe.

YMMV.
Exactly my case too! Figured I was not alone. I almost feel guilty leaving the G43 at home, but the G42 is more pocketable. I've had round nose lock-back issues, but as noted earlier by others, with the right ammo - it's 100%.
Recluse horse hide pocket holster, and it goes everywhere. Very easy to draw for me too. Herm

· Registered
104 Posts
I recently picked up a 42 and I do like it. I had a 43 when they first came out, however I ended up selling it as it was not drastically different in size compared to my 27. IMO, I think the 42 fits a different void with it being a good bit smaller than the 27 and somewhat smaller than the 43. In the end go with what you feel fits you best.

· Registered
23 Posts
Of the two, probably the 43, if a 43 than a 26 in the mental evaluation.
Sold the 43 and kept the 42 because the 42 just fits my hand better and is a softer shooter for me. The 42 can be a pocket carry for me in some pants, but the 43 was a bit too large for pocket carry.

9mm vs..380 isn't an issue for me since I figure either at close range (20' or less) will be sufficient.

Just my opinion but I love my 42 and haven't looked back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.