Glock Talk banner

Glock 42 the most precise mouse gun ever?

2637 29
I'm not a great shot by any means, very low B class USPSA shooter and got Sharpshooter (that's like a "C" in most sports I think) the one time I did the IDPA classifier. Due to that I won't even use the term "accuracy", as I'm certain I shoot none of my pistols to their mechanical limit of accuracy.

Still dang.. every time I go out with my Glock 42 I'm just amazed at how precise I can be with it at close range, and even what it can do at longer range. I have put a Ghost connector in it to drop the trigger pull down the same as my other Glocks, but other than that totally stock. It basically replaced a Ruger LCR and LCP as my smallest carry guns. Those two basically I had half A zone hits at 25 yards and the rest looked like buckshot pattern. With the 42 it seems on autopilot and unable to break into the B zone accidentally if I wanted it to.

I'm guessing it's just the super low recoil and low blast from the 380 round, and it being on the larger side of it's competitors (long slide target version of a mousegun maybe?), but anybody else impressed in this regard?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I have not spent much time with the G42 but I do not doubt it is very capable. Maybe it is just me, but usually if I like a gun alot I tend to shoot it better and shoot it more often (perhaps each leads to the other.)

· Registered
907 Posts
I like how my G42 shoots too. It could be the best of pocket guns in .380 (*). However, I get better results with the PPK, primarily because of its SA trigger, I suspect. It is, however, larger and heavier than a typical "mousegun". Even larger still is Browning Black Label 380, you might want to try that too.

(*) On second thought, P238 is a better range gun.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
I love my G43 but for some reason I always grab my G42 and throw it in my pocket everyday.

· Registered
847 Posts
I'm not a great shot by any means, very low B class USPSA shooter and got Sharpshooter (that's like a "C" in most sports I think) the one time I did the IDPA classifier. Due to that I won't even use the term "accuracy", as I'm certain I shoot none of my pistols to their mechanical limit of accuracy.

Still dang.. every time I go out with my Glock 42 I'm just amazed at how precise I can be with it at close range, and even what it can do at longer range. I have put a Ghost connector in it to drop the trigger pull down the same as my other Glocks, but other than that totally stock. It basically replaced a Ruger LCR and LCP as my smallest carry guns. Those two basically I had half A zone hits at 25 yards and the rest looked like buckshot pattern. With the 42 it seems on autopilot and unable to break into the B zone accidentally if I wanted it to.

I'm guessing it's just the super low recoil and low blast from the 380 round, and it being on the larger side of it's competitors (long slide target version of a mousegun maybe?), but anybody else impressed in this regard?
Morning Ranger357

I can't say impressed but it is definitely acceptable for a pocketable .380.

My G-42 has slightly better accuracy at 15 yards than either of my LCP's, about on par with my .380 bodyguard, & worse than my Walther PPK.

It takes one heck of small .380 to beat the PPK or PPKS for accuracy as the light short single action PPK trigger & fixed-to-the-frame barrel makes accuracy a thing to behold on the PPK, PPKS.
But the PPK isn't all roses either as the little devil is heavy, the recoil spring is strong (it's a blow back design), & the worst part is that the slide bites the heck out of my hand in recoil.

· M62/76
14,795 Posts
I wouldn't call any .380s that I've encountered "precision guns" (although I'm sure bac has some rare, match-grade 380 sitting in his collection somewhere) but I do agree that it is very smooth and accurate. I have it and a SIG P232 and will reach for the 42 every time given the choice.

· M62/76
14,795 Posts
They really are nice little guns. I think one of the reason for the precision is the soft recoil. I was simply amazed by that.
I agree. The 1st time I fired one I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the recoil was and bought one later that day.

· Registered
131,353 Posts
I wouldn't call any .380s that I've encountered "precision guns" (although I'm sure bac has some rare, match-grade 380 sitting in his collection somewhere) but I do agree that it is very smooth and accurate. I have it and a SIG P232 and will reach for the 42 every time given the choice.
Match grade 380's are not all that common. Match grade 32ACP pistols are around.

Not that "match grade" really means much of anything.

· Registered
10 Posts
I've been through several .380 pistols (NAA, LCP, etc.), and the only one to shoot as accurately as my G42 is my Russian commercial Makarov, and that's only "after" I get past that bear of a double action first shot. Couple that with the non-pocket friendliness of the Makarov (weight and size), and there's really no other .380 in the same league as the G42.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.