·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Wood
Trigger Wood
Metal
Metal
Need help. My Glock 42 slide is rusting. I have already send it back to Glock once for rusting and all they did is put some bluing on it and sent it back. What can I do? Glocks should not rust on slide. This is what it looks like after I wiped off the bright orange rust spots.

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Squeaky wheel/Grease.

I would contact them again and politely tell them that you feel this Glock slide is simply not up to Glock's fine reputation and standards. I would explain it was sent in for this same issue earlier, and the physical touch up did not address the underlying problem and your concerns, and ask them to provide suggestions for resolution.

That is assuming there are not exceptional circumstances surrounding this gun and the rust issue (you scuba dive with it and don't wash off the ocean water, you haven't filed, damaged, or abused it, etc.).

Good luck. I am sure it could afford to rust like that for decades without impacting function, but I wouldn't want it on my firearms, either!

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Oil it! I wipe down the outside of my guns really heavy with a hopped saturated rag. Then take a clean cloth and remove all I can. You will never get it all off. You might need to this often depending on how you carry. Even stainless will rust it takes longer but it will.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I see nothing of concern. I always apply very lightly Break Free-CLP (used by the US military for decades) to the external surfaces of metal components on my weapons. Any residual wetness drys up in short time. After 23 years of multiple Glock ownership I've never had an appearance of rust.

Welcome to the active posting community of General Glocking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil it! I wipe down the outside of my guns really heavy with a hopped saturated rag. Then take a clean cloth and remove all I can. You will never get it all off. You might need to this often depending on how you carry. Even stainless will rust it takes longer but it will.
I have always wore my pistols IWB. I have worn a pistol daily for 26 years. I am a retired LE and I have never had a gun to rust. I take care of my pistols. This is simply unsatisfactory. I carried a blue steel Jframe for years and it never rusted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have
I see nothing of concern. I always apply very lightly Break Free-CLP (used by the US military for decades) to the external surfaces of metal components on my weapons. Any residual wetness drys up in short time. After 23 years of multiple Glock ownership I've never had an appearance of rust.

Welcome to the active posting community of General Glocking.
I never had a Glock to rust either. This slide was obviously not treated properly. I wish they would go back to using Tenifer on all glocks.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have the exact same thing on my carry G19. Right at the back left of the slide where the sweat guard ends and at the left front edge where the muzzle is open. Sweat seems to wick in between the holster and the slide. It's been less of an issue since I started wiping the pistol down with bullfrog anti-rust wipes every month or so... Though I actually had a friend think his truck was leaking antifreeze do to the sweet smell of the anti-rust treatment on my pistol. lol.

·
Premium Member
42,437 Posts
I’ve owned Glocks since 1992. Never had one rust. The only ones I’ve seen rusted were carry guns that were neglected and left in leather holsters, carried everyday for months and not wiped down and oiled often.

A Glock WILL corrode if neglected.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
You can try mil-tec they claim that it treats the pores of the metal. I don’t know if this is just a marketing gimmick. I was given a bottle and used it on my all metal rock island baby rock and so far so good but I don’t carry and sweat on it either. The instructions say to heat the metal before applying so I did.

Whatever you try it wouldn’t hurt to keep complaining to Glock maybe they will get tired of hearing from you and replace the slide. Good luck

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Hate learning of this. My former Ruger LCP rusted on the slide big time.
I removed it with steel wool, and some rust product. Re-oiled and sold that sucka!

Reactions: Stkman252

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,070 Posts
The outline you provide is limited and suggests warranty without limitations.

If you had no influence on the negative imprinting of the rust, suggest you again submit to Glock for inspection.

I’ve have and had, many Glocks and have had no negative issues. Fortunately I’ve not dealt with the Gen 4 and newer models so take comment for any value. Good Luck.

·
1 WILD PIG
290 Posts
I have always wore my pistols IWB. I have worn a pistol daily for 26 years. I am a retired LE and I have never had a gun to rust. I take care of my pistols. This is simply unsatisfactory. I carried a blue steel Jframe for years and it never rusted!
Yep... I carried a blued steel 1911 IWB without a holster when working plain clothes narcotics and never had any rust issues either... BUT, I did keep it wiped down more often too. Maybe your body chemistry is changing and your sweat is more corrosive than before ??? ... sorta surprised that Glock didn't at least refinish the slide.

Kinda looks like it gets rubbed against something in those areas... I guess either call it "character wear" and wipe it down more often or give Glock another shot at it... Although sort of a hassle to use, car wax use to keep the shiny blued guns looking good too... I wonder how the modern polymer spray waxes would do on the Glock finish ???

I've mostly been carrying a G26 IWB for the past 15 years and only ever wipe it down with WD-40 when I take it apart to clean it out... maybe every month or so... or whenever it gets fired... but it only rubs against skin and clothes or in a leather holster every once in a while when riding my Harley. Best of luck !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A
The outline you provide is limited and suggests warranty without limitations.

If you had no influence on the negative imprinting of the rust, suggest you again submit to Glock for inspection.

I’ve have and had, many Glocks and have had no negative issues. Fortunately I’ve not dealt with the Gen 4 and newer models so take comment for any value. Good Luck.
Agreed. I have never had any issues with my Glocks until this one

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Yep... I carried a blued steel 1911 IWB without a holster when working plain clothes narcotics and never had any rust issues either... BUT, I did keep it wiped down more often too. Maybe your body chemistry is changing and your sweat is more corrosive than before ??? ... sorta surprised that Glock didn't at least refinish the slide.

Kinda looks like it gets rubbed against something in those areas... I guess either call it "character wear" and wipe it down more often or give Glock another shot at it... Although sort of a hassle to use, car wax use to keep the shiny blued guns looking good too... I wonder how the modern polymer spray waxes would do on the Glock finish ???

I've mostly been carrying a G26 IWB for the past 15 years and only ever wipe it down with WD-40 when I take it apart to clean it out... maybe every month or so... or whenever it gets fired... but it only rubs against skin and clothes or in a leather holster every once in a while when riding my Harley. Best of luck !
Just a word of warning for anybody thinking about using wd40 on a non Glock blued gun. Not a good idea because anything like wd40 that is like a solvent will actually remove blueing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.