Glock Talk banner

Glock 42 serial numbers

28921 28
Does anyone know what the new revised Glock 42 serial numbers start at? The changers were to address the ammo feed problems.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Does anyone know what the new revised Glock 42 serial numbers start at? The changers were to address the ammo feed problems.
I don't know of any frame issues related to FTF, so all serial numbers are equally good. They changed the magazine somewhat some time im mid-to-late 2014. That is all.

If you're buying an old one used, throw new mags with "02" on it, and you're all set. I'd change the captive recoil spring assembly too, in case.

{Correction: Use "03" magazines, not "02". It was a typo. Thanks to member tampashooters.}

· Registered
2,184 Posts
The premature lockback problem was due to certain rounds with sort of a long bullets hitting the slide lock tab as they came out of the mag. The slide lock lever was modified. Some people fixed there own guns by filing down the tab. I remember at the time you couldn't go strictly by serial number - mine is AASZ and has the mod but some with later serial numbers did not. You should be safe with a test fire date later than May 1, 2014. They also changed the magazine around the same time. It's possible there are/were other problems I'm not aware of.

· Registered
6 Posts
So I'm new to Glock and recently purchased a G42 with an AAPW serial number and a test fire date of January 2014. I'm having a terrible misfire/double-feed problem. The gun shop told me it was either an ammo or limpwrist issue. How can I tell if I have the older magazine?

· Registered
584 Posts
So I'm new to Glock and recently purchased a G42 with an AAPW serial number and a test fire date of January 2014. I'm having a terrible misfire/double-feed problem. The gun shop told me it was either an ammo or limpwrist issue. How can I tell if I have the older magazine?
The gun shop is probably right, the G42 requires full power ammo and a good grip or ejection problems can ensue.
The latest mags are easy to identify as they are labeled 03 on the spine.
Your early production G42 is in need of several updated parts if they have not already been changed none of which really address FTE or FTF malfunctions that I am aware of.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
As usual, the gun shop is probably full of it.

I had a pair of early production G42's with AAxxxxx serial numbers.
Neither of them could get through a single mag of any kind of ammo with any shooter, without a failure to feed, double feed, or premature lockback. The slide stop would jump up during recoil, or a bullet nose would hit the inside tab while feeding; either situation would cause the slide to lock open with rounds still in the mag.

After a year of producing terribly unreliable guns, Glock finally made some changes in the G42 and the new ones perform perfectly. I've got probably 5,000 rds through a pair of newer ones with only a couple of misfeeds that resulted from letting the slide bump against a barricade while shooting.

Here's what you need in your gun:

Newest style magazines with a "3" underneath the part number 33249 on the back of the mag.
Newest style slide stop with a small coil spring at the front to keep it from jumping up during recoil. Current parts catalog will have the part number.
Newest style trigger connector with a small/faint "-" (minus) sign stamped on the side, which won't change reliability but will drop the trigger pull down to be about like other Glocks with the standard connector.

If you contact Glock, they might even do the upgrades for free; and lucky people get free shipping both ways (usually if less than one year old).

Yes, crummy ammo or limp wristing can cause malfunctions. But if you don't have the new parts in your gun, I'd bet big money on a parts problem rather than a shooter problem.

· Shellback
5,853 Posts
I don't know of any frame issues related to FTF, so all serial numbers are equally good. They changed the magazine somewhat some time im mid-to-late 2014. That is all.

If you're buying an old one used, throw new mags with "02" on it, and you're all set. I'd change the captive recoil spring assembly too, in case.
Actually, the new magazines are 03

· Registered
6 Posts
As usual, the gun shop is probably full of it.

I had a pair of early production G42's with AAxxxxx serial numbers.
Neither of them could get through a single mag of any kind of ammo with any shooter, without a failure to feed, double feed, or premature lockback. The slide stop would jump up during recoil, or a bullet nose would hit the inside tab while feeding; either situation would cause the slide to lock open with rounds still in the mag.

After a year of producing terribly unreliable guns, Glock finally made some changes in the G42 and the new ones perform perfectly. I've got probably 5,000 rds through a pair of newer ones with only a couple of misfeeds that resulted from letting the slide bump against a barricade while shooting.

Here's what you need in your gun:

Newest style magazines with a "3" underneath the part number 33249 on the back of the mag.
Newest style slide stop with a small coil spring at the front to keep it from jumping up during recoil. Current parts catalog will have the part number.
Newest style trigger connector with a small/faint "-" (minus) sign stamped on the side, which won't change reliability but will drop the trigger pull down to be about like other Glocks with the standard connector.

If you contact Glock, they might even do the upgrades for free; and lucky people get free shipping both ways (usually if less than one year old).

Yes, crummy ammo or limp wristing can cause malfunctions. But if you don't have the new parts in your gun, I'd bet big money on a parts problem rather than a shooter problem.

· M62/76
14,795 Posts
I have AASX12X (March 2014 mfg) and have luckily never had any issues. Like zaitcev said, I believe mid-2014 is when Glock began to make small changes to solve issues that some were experiencing.

Reactions: Lyn6305

· Registered
26 Posts
Today I purchased a G42 S/N AASA99X from the original owner, who states it was only fired a couple of times. I took it to the range and fired 50 rounds flawlessly. A few years ago I purchased another one, S/N AAUF875, and could never even get through 1 mag without FTF issues. Judging by the S/N, both were older models. IDK if my 'new' one has been revised or not, but it showed no problems. I even allowed slight limp wristing on a couple of shots just to see if that would cause a problem, but it did not. I'm just curious whether the S/N would indicate if my 'new' one has had revisions done to it. It does have the more 'jagged' magazine, with NO 03 on it.

Reactions: Lyn6305

· Registered
6 Posts
So I disassembled my G42 and lubricated it, and also had my gunsmith take a look. I put about 50 rounds through it with only a couple of misfires this time. I did contact Glock, who wanted me to return the G42, and "they would take a look". Not comfortable with their attitude. My magazines are the oldest style (33249 w/o a number underneath), so it looks like I should search for the updated ones with an 03.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
The early G42 had a bunch of problems.
To my regret I bought 3.

One thing I dislike about Glock, the company, is they will put out guns and expect the buyers to be free "bata testers".
Then instead of having a recall, like any decent company does, the buyer keeps spending a lot of time and money trying to get the gun running reliably.

Mine have uncounted thousands of rounds through them and they still won't fire 100 rounds without a malfunction.

"I did contact Glock, who wanted me to return the G42, and "they would take a look"."

Yeah I called Glock and I was told the same BS.
It I pay the shipping, they will "take a look" at the guns.
Screw them. Why should I have to spend more money on the guns, to maybe, get them doing what they should have been doing when Glock sold the things.

The last couple months I've been shooting the two G42's a LOT.
I can't trust them for pocket carry, but I do like to shoot them.
The G42 is the only Glock, of the five I have, that I like shooting.

· Registered
60 Posts
I bought a G42 a few years ago. It also had all the symptoms described. I put it away for a few years since it was junk. I recently contacted Glock about correcting the problems after reading about the fixes. Mags were 01's also. Glock CS rep said to send in but since I told him I bought the gun several years ago he said I had to pay for shipping there. I should have left that part out of the conversation. I wasn't too happy but found an LGS that shipped it for $35. It came back in just under a week. It had two new 03 magazines and several upgrades. Now it functions like a Glock should. I highly recommend sending yours in if you want a functioning gun.
regards...

· Registered
26 Posts
I bought a G42 a few years ago. It also had all the symptoms described. I put it away for a few years since it was junk. I recently contacted Glock about correcting the problems after reading about the fixes. Mags were 01's also. Glock CS rep said to send in but since I told him I bought the gun several years ago he said I had to pay for shipping there. I should have left that part out of the conversation. I wasn't too happy but found an LGS that shipped it for $35. It came back in just under a week. It had two new 03 magazines and several upgrades. Now it functions like a Glock should. I highly recommend sending yours in if you want a functioning gun.
regards...
I agree. I got mine 1 week ago today, emailed Glock that night, they replied the next morning with a label (I pay - UPS, $15.00) and instructions to send it in. I sent it Tuesday, they got it Thursday and turned it around Friday. It's scheduled for delivery back to me Tuesday, but looking at tracking I may have it tomorrow - 6 days after I sent it to Glock. I'm looking forward to seeing what they did. I'm unbelievably impressed with the quick response and turnaround and am looking forward to trying it out (it was working fine, this was just a precaution to ensure proper parts/magazines).

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Mine was purchased in 2016 and I went straight from Smyrna Police Distributors to Glock, Inc Smyrna for $57 Glock Night Sights.

The serial number is ABYPxxx

The tech said it had all the latest updates including new frame design. I know it was a post Sept 2015 Glock because it did not include the dated envelope with spent case.

FWIW, out of 14 Glocks, this one was my most troublesome. I had 2 common issues.

Failure to fully close on a new round. I replaced the RSA to fix that.

Failure to extract after about 30 rounds. Glock, Inc replaced the extractor to fix that.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
I bought 5 of them the day that they came out. Everyone was having problems. Returned them to Glock, replaced the mags with 03 mags and now they are great. And so was Glock. I didn't have to pay for anything. When did they change the frames and what are the differences?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts