Glock 42 issues?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bobcatbaseball35, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

I purchased a new 42 the week they came out. I loved it. It never gave me any problems. I let my brother have it when he turned 21 and got his permit. I miss it, but it appears that the new ones are having problems. How concerned should I be about purchasing another one? It's making me lean towards a 26, as I can feed it with my multidude of 19 and 17 mags. I have a couple big sticks also. What do you guys think? I have a 43 and 19. Just addicted to Glocks.

2. GunQuest

GunQuest NRA Member

Actually I think it's the other way around. The new ones have been much better. There were several updates. Mine has functioned flawlessly. Mine is newer 2016 model with all the updates

GlockFan7 likes this.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

What you need is any model in .40SW, which will allow you to use .357SIG with an OEM barrel. Or better, get a model in .357SIG to start, plus an OEM .40SW barrel to go with it.

A G33 is the same size as that G26 you mention, yet fires a much more energetic round. :)

4. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

I qualified for my CCW many years ago with a glock 33. I loved it. I had an incident with a Speer gold dot 125 grain setting back about 3mm in the case when I chambered it. I know it was a fluke but I lost confidence in the crimping of those bottleneck rounds. Im sure it was a fluke, but at 357 sign pressures I'm sure I was holding a hand grenade.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  5. F-111 John

F-111 John

Bought my wife a 42 about a year after they came out. The only issue is occasional premature slide lockback, due to the nose of the next bullet in the magazine hitting the slide stop tab.

Even with the redesigned slide stop installed, it was still an issue. I ended up taking a file to the tab to reprofile it, and that got rid of the premature lockback, but now occasionally won't lock back on an empty magazine. All in all the better of the two problems to have.

I also know that there were three or four generations of magazines, but I, I mean she, has half a dozen magazines of all vintages and they all run flawlessly.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I got a G42 early in 2016, 2000+ rounds, zero stoppages. This is with all OEM, Magguts +1 extensions, Alpha Wolf AM barrel for hot load development, etc. etc. Like all my other Glocks, reliable as a sledge hammer.

tic-tok-GLOCK likes this.
  7. Dghost

Dghost

I bought my G42 in September of last year. I have over 1000 rounds through it with absolutely no issues. Very soft shooting and accurate.

8. recshooter9

recshooter9

While I am not an expert on guns, the 42 I bought for my wife was one of the early ones and I had to run it with extra lube and max loads for the first couple of hundred rounds. That seemed to stop the problems. Now it is just as reliable as her 17 and 19. I researched the 42 and found that the first ones really liked max loads (from reputable reloading manuals). Your mileage may vary. Once it is broken in, she will love it. Fact is, I purchased one for myself as a everyday carry and field use when walking my pup on the farm. Mine has had zero issues out of the box. Go figure.

tic-tok-GLOCK likes this.