Glock 42 - Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MarkH1254, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MarkH1254

MarkH1254

Picked up a new Glock 42 (380) for the wife to carry over three years ago and it's been in a dehumidified safe. Shame on us for never shooting it until this past weekend. This gun repeatedly wouldn't eject the spent cartridge. I tried two different kinds of ammo and no luck.

I own several Glocks and have never been disappointed. I spoke with Glock earlier today and they assured me that all the fixes were in my firearm, based on the serial number and date of manufacture - December 2016.

When I took it apart, I noticed one thing odd. Every new Glock I've ever bought had the copper anti-seize grease on it. This one did not. In fact, it appeared to have no lubrication on it at all.

Has Glock stopped using the anti-seize during manufacture? Should I consider applying some, and if so, where and how much?

Glock attributed the issue to possibly the magazine or lack of lubrication. I cleaned it and oiled it to see if that helps.

Thanks
    Mark

halfmoonclip and Buckshot Barry like this.
  2. OXMYX

OXMYX

Send it back free of charge.

Navy1964 and Doc Holliday like this.

3. JBP55

JBP55

Clean and lubricate it and shot it again. Anti Seize is great for long term storage and to keep threads from seizing but there are much better products for lubricating a firearm. I always clean and lubricate my firearms before shooting.

4. itsmekevin

itsmekevin

Try using different ammo. My G42 wouldn't fully eject weaker ammo. It functions flawlessly with Federal brass range ammo though.

2740dmx, Intolerant and zaitcev like this.
  5. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

My (now former) 42 was built in September, 2016 and it had to go back.

6. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The early ones didn’t run right. Call Glock and they will email you a prepaid shipping label. Send it to Glock. They will swap out some parts and replace your magazines with current ones. When you get it back, it will run right. When you shoot it after the upgrades, you won’t believe it’s the same gun.

sigman69, Intolerant, ILeft and 3 others like this.
  7. -JCN-

-JCN-

Spring is too stiff for weak ammo for the first 500 rounds. After break in, now no problem.

Get a case of 380 Lawman and you should be all good.

Intolerant and Pepiot like this.
  8. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

Don't give up on it! Try lubricating it and using a different magazine and ammo. I like the Sig Sauer FMJ ammo if I'm not shooting my own handloads. If it doesn't become reliable, ask Glock for a shipping label and ship it back to them. If they won't pay for the shipping, ship it back to them on your dime anyway and it will come back as reliable as any other Glock. If you pay for shipping, only send them the pistol to keep the shipping costs down (not the plastic box, magazines and accessories).

We love our 3 G42s. Two went back to Glock for upgraded parts and one went back for reliability issues before I obtained it. I tried my best a few times and Glock wouldn't budge on paying the shipping on 2 for upgrades because the G42s were more than a year old. I'm still glad I paid to ship them back and would do it again. All 3 run like sewing machines now. They are sweet and low recoil shooters. I think your wife (and you) will really like it when you get it working reliably.

sigman69, halfmoonclip and L-2 like this.
  9. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I’ve never had an issue with mine, but with such a low powered cartridge, I would imagine that it would be very sensitive to limp wristing. I would let someone else shoot it and see if they could replicate the problem. I love mine and carry it often, loaded with FMJ ammo. It’s the best .380 I’ve ever fired.

sigman69, Navy1964 and halfmoonclip like this.
  10. Navy1964

Navy1964

Clean, make sure you have 03 mags. Great gun. Love mine.

halfmoonclip and GlockyQ like this.
  11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN

Lead / no jacket?

12. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Unfortunately like the Glock 36 the Glock 42 rivals issues since birth.

Too bad issues still exist because people frustrated dealt with it by putting them in a safe and forgetting the product for several years.

Today we are reminded of the launch of the product and the exercises in trying to make a right out of a wrong.

Hopefully product will be fixed by Glock and not sent out to another unsuspecting buyer.

I can appreciate the extra time and its expense to the owners, myself suggesting Glock start paying its fair share.

Intolerant, Repeat, L-2 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mike-M

Mike-M

That is THE classic textbook symptom of a recoil-operated pistol with light-weight frame being fired with a grip too infirm or with ammo too weak (low "power factor") or both.

The G42 is arguably overall the best 380ACP pistol ever made. However, a G42 in perfect operating condition is still THE Glock pistol most likely to exhibit functional failures (caused by inadequate slide assembly recoil velocity relative to the frame assembly) when used by someone (even one who has used other Glock pistols) unaccustomed to the G42's specific need for VERY FIRM grip and for ammo producing sufficient power factor (bullet muzzle momentum). That stems directly from the physics of the extreme low-mass frame recoil-operated G42 firing 380ACP, which produces the lowest bullet momentum of all Glock calibers.

The G42 is thus the VERY worst Glock pistol for someone who will not establish familiarity and practice periodically with it. It should never ever be used for serious service by someone who will just take it new from the box, fire a magazine or two (maybe), then relegate it to a holster or purse for the following five years before the next range session. That happens to many G42 pistols. It is common for G42 owners complaining of the exact same problem described in the OP to see the same G42 function flawlessly in the firm grip of a shooter familiar with the physics of its operation.

OP: Return to the range and begin using the firmest grip and steadiest hold you can summon. You'll see failure to eject disappear. Then you can adjust grip to find something both comfortable AND effective.

sigman69, ChrisJn, L-2 and 2 others like this.
  14. JK-linux

JK-linux

They always seemed touchy to me. I'm sure they can run "right". I have no patience for any gun that doesn't run perfect from day one, or requires care in holding it that way or that, or only likes this or that ammo. Kinda why I started buying Glocks, ironically enough. Yeah, I know... but, that's just me. I'd dump it, personally.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  15. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I think that pretty much sums it up.
    If your gun already has all the updates, it should run unless the lube dried up completely and/or the magazines are of the older version. (My G42 ran all right with a “02.”)

If your gun came with older “01” or “02” magazines, send them back to Glock to exchange for the latest “03” mags. I sent my three old mags back to Glock, and within a week I received three brand new “03” mags in mail. Great customer service.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I bought three G42's when they first came out.

They sucked.
    Wouldn't get through 2-3 magazine without a malfunction.
    About that time many new G42 owners were having trouble.

Bought new magazines. No change.

I called Glock and was told if I paid the shipping they would "take a look at the gun".

They put out a malfunctioning gun, then want the buyers to pay more money to have them "take a look at it".

Glock can go to Hell.

I shoot the G42's in the back yard a good bit but wouldn't consider them in any kind of "defense roll". They still malfunction within 3-4 magazines.

17. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

I had issues with mine early on until I realized I was the problem. I was limp-wristing it. Also, as mentioned by others, it likes hot ammo. It never malfunctions with Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers.

18. bac1023

bac1023

I haven’t had an issue with mine, but I only have a few hundred rounds through it. Probably shouldn’t carry it, but I do occasionally.

19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

We own two a ZED prefix and I forgot the other SN#, no issues with either, as long as they are held right, and fed good ammo.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  20. Holiday009

Holiday009

My 42 absolutely refuses to function with federal American eagle ammo...

many other brand/type no issues at all.

like others already said try using Golddots, or even WWB.