Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Still Alive
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate it or not Glock now has a .380 for sale to the general public in the USA. So it is time to start considering suitable ammo for the new Glock 42. I went to the range today with several hundred mixed rounds to break in my new 42. I had only one FTE and that was the first round fired. I attribute that to limp wrist. I fired approx. 150 rounds of Winchester white box 95 gr. fMJ, 50 rounds of Remington 95 gr. MC and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 102.gr. BJHP. All produced at ranges of 20/40 ft. fist size and smaller groups with the Golden Saber being the most consistent and tightest 6 shot strings.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I would probably stick with the 102gr GS. You probably will not get consistent expansion with it but you will get good penetration either way. I bought a 100rd of WWB when I bought my LCP. Had one failure with it at around round 35 or 40. Fine after that. Don't have too much confidence in Winchester these days.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Test some hornady critical defesnse.... It's been tried & true in short barreled .380's.... It's what I carry in my trusty LCP

·
Banned
6,280 Posts
FWIW, this fellow has painstakingly tested ALL .380 defensive ammo and finally found one that meets his criterion of 12" penetration and mushrooms. He's way too anal retentive for me to watch for any length of time, but here's his conclusion. Personally, I think he's asking too much from a .380, but you be the judge:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts"]Ammo Quest .380 Final Wrapup: finding the BEST ammo for a .380ACP pistol - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's what Mas said in GATE: "If I had to carry a .380 I'd probably load it with Hornady XTP for a balance of penetration and at least some hope of expansion, even though I haven't seen any shootings with it. Nothing else in the caliber has impressed me, so why not at least hope?"

90gr and 1000fps out of a 4" tube with a good HP bullet.

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
I swear that the first whiner who says "yeah, but they should have made it a 9mm" that I will jump through their PC screen and do this!!
The wife found out about this gun, and said she wants one. She didn't even care what caliber it is, and she's reasonably well versed in handguns.

I'll be following this thread to see recommendations of what load to get for her.

As for me, I'll stick with my 938 in 9mm.
:whistling:

·
Still Alive
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was lucky to find the ammo that I did. .380 is as hard to find these days as plain old .22 rim fire. I am a fan of XTP from way back and as soon as I can find some I will buying and trying it out along with any other "defense" loads that I can lay my hands on.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I have been using 90gr XTPs in LCP, both factory Hornady and handloads. Have not had any failures with them. The 90gr XTPs penetrate better than some other 90gr .380 bullets however it is still not where I would like it to be. As velocity goes up the penetration tends to get a little worse. I am in the processing of testing some 115gr XTP handloads.

Cabelas sells the TAP 90gr XTP .380 loads which have the nickel cases. Black Hills also offers .380 loaded with the 90gr XTP. Black Hills makes good ammo. Both are other options from the standard Hornady Custom 90gr XTP loads.

·
Still Alive
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW, this fellow has painstakingly tested ALL .380 defensive ammo and finally found one that meets his criterion of 12" penetration and mushrooms. He's way too anal retentive for me to watch for any length of time, but here's his conclusion. Personally, I think he's asking too much from a .380, but you be the judge:

Ammo Quest .380 Final Wrapup: finding the BEST ammo for a .380ACP pistol - YouTube

After watching the video I contacted Precision One Ammunition and placed an order for their XTP load and a brick of solid point for paper punching. Their product has some excellent reviews and the price is right.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Maybe since the G42 is out and the HST is not only marketed to LE, Federal will get off their rump and make a .380 HST round. A 95gr-100gr that expands reliably would be nice.

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
I have been using 90gr XTPs in LCP, both factory Hornady and handloads. Have not had any failures with them. The 90gr XTPs penetrate better than some other 90gr .380 bullets however it is still not where I would like it to be. As velocity goes up the penetration tends to get a little worse. I am in the processing of testing some 115gr XTP handloads.

Cabelas sells the TAP 90gr XTP .380 loads which have the nickel cases. Black Hills also offers .380 loaded with the 90gr XTP. Black Hills makes good ammo. Both are other options from the standard Hornady Custom 90gr XTP loads.
When I owned a PF-9 I shot a lot of Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP rounds through it and it never failed to amaze me with its accuracy. (I know it wasn't me so it had to be the bullet design)

I have requested tnoutdoors to test this particular round because it always had a certain "pop" that indicated good velocity and the box carries the CIP logo rather than the SAAMI logo its other ammo sports.

Somebody else might have discovered this ammo as Fiocchi doubled the price in the last year (by boxing it in 25-round packages instead of the 50-rounds it used to be).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.