Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a long while my 41’s slide seems to just run out of steam while stripping a round from the magazine. Not a jam of any sort. The pistol is relatively new with only 500 or so rounds thru it. It has been so infrequent that I have not yet tried marking the magazine, only 2 or possibly 3 times. I’m thinking recoil spring assembly although since the pistol is relatively new. What ideas any of you have to say before I order a new recoil spring assembly.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Every once in a long while my 41’s slide seems to just run out of steam while stripping a round from the magazine. Not a jam of any sort. The pistol is relatively new with only 500 or so rounds thru it. It has been so infrequent that I have not yet tried marking the magazine, only 2 or possibly 3 times. I’m thinking recoil spring assembly although since the pistol is relatively new. What ideas any of you have to say before I order a new recoil spring assembly.

Thanks

Joe
If you do need a new recoil spring, order a DPM Recoil Reduction system instead. You’ll thank me later.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have lubed the recoil spring assembly.

norcalAF - would you explain carb loading. I’ve been actively involved in firearms and shooting for over 50 years and that’s a new one for me.

Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have lubed the recoil spring assembly.

norcalAF - would you explain carb loading. I’ve been actively involved in firearms and shooting for over 50 years and that’s a new one for me.

Joe
Oh it was just some runners humor relating to diet before meets.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
One should ALWAYS have a spare RSA for each type of Glock pistol owned...but what you see is not caused by a weakened RSA.

What you report is a classic symptom of inadequate slide recoil velocity relative to the frame. That's caused by using ammo that produces too low bullet muzzle momentum ("power factor") and/or using a hold on the grip that is too infirm. Correct those conditions and your problem will vanish.

Glock pistols with their extremely low mass frame especially as the magazine nears empty are especially prone to shooter-induced malfunctions from a hold on the grip not being very very firm as the pistol cycles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One should ALWAYS have a spare RSA for each type of Glock pistol owned...but what you see is not caused by a weakened RSA.

What you report is a classic symptom of inadequate slide recoil velocity relative to the frame. That's caused by using ammo that produces too low bullet muzzle momentum ("power factor") and/or using a hold on the grip that is too infirm. Correct those conditions and your problem will vanish.

Glock pistols with their extremely low mass frame especially as the magazine nears empty are especially prone to shooter-induced malfunctions from a hold on the grip not being very very firm as the pistol cycles.
The load is 5 grains HP38 behind a 230 grain FMJ. But you may be right on the infirm qrip. I usually pull the 41 out at the end of a shooting session after firing a couple hundred rounds or more thru other handguns.

Thanks

Joe

·
I'm not retired
7,264 Posts
The load is 5 grains HP38 behind a 230 grain FMJ. But you may be right on the infirm qrip. I usually pull the 41 out at the end of a shooting session after firing a couple hundred rounds or more thru other handguns.

Thanks

Joe
I had 3 41's and just sold one. We shot 150 rds through the one I sold with no issues. The two I still own have 7600 rds between the two with the X61 SS# getting a new RSA after around 4200 rds. I've never experienced the slide not being able to strip a new round no matter how fast I shoot it. The X67 SS# doesn't have enough rds to consider a new RSA, and honestly, I don't feel very much of a deterioration in that spring compared to the new spring in the X61. I'd say you're getting a slower slide to battery or stripping a new round if you were having an issue with the slide not going into battery, fully, but you did not mention that. I think you may be looking for something that isn't really there. 500 rds isn't enough to make a G41 RSA weak enough to not return it to battery, even if you're running weaker ammo....considering you're getting adequate extraction and ejection.

You're not getting jams and you're at 500 rds. You're also mixing your own juice. If it'll run off WWB 230 gr FMJ or Federal equivalent, I'd be confident you don't have an issue with your RSA.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

Thanks

Joe
My 41 had the oddest issue. It would run brass cased factory ammo with zero issues, but I felt a hesitation to feed every once in a while. Maybe 400 rounds before I discovered the true fix.

Then I tried Federal aluminum. With aluminum cased ammo I would get a failure to feed every 3 rounds or so. Yes, every 3 rounds.

Even though I’m close to Smyrna, I didn’t want to make the drive. I ordered a new OEM extractor. That was it. I could even see where the original extractor was gouging the aluminum case rims with a magnifying glass.

My 41 runs everything fine now.

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
I've had this issue a few times. sometimes my grip starts riding the slide stop and it slows the slide enough that it wasn't feeding all the way. Going to a standard slide stop instead of the extended one helped a bunch

Reactions: Joe A.

·
I'm not retired
7,264 Posts
I ordered a new OEM extractor. That was it. I could even see where the original extractor was gouging the aluminum case rims with a magnifying glass. My 41 runs everything fine now.
This is good to know. I just bought a butt load of AL cased Federal from WM, on clearance, and haven't noticed any issues. I will keep an eye on the case rims, now, from time to time just to be sure they aren't getting gouged. ;)

·
MacGyver
7,577 Posts
range ammo

Mixing ammo?

Ammo not consistantly loaded, you will get random changes in slide velocity.

Watch your thumbs too

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think in my case it's the extractor. The bullet nose may or may not touch the feed ramp.

I seriously thinking that the issue is that I'm may be relaxing my grip. I noticed that yesterday while shooting my G44 and G19. After my morning walk and weed eating, I plan to load a 100 rounds and also add a few tenths grains of powder. Then I will shoot all 100 hundred one handed. I will try that for a few hundred rounds and see what happens. The problem happens so infrequently it is hard to zero in on it.

Since retirement, I usually only load 50-100 rounds at a time so I don't run out of anything to do. Prior to retirement, I would load 500-1000 rounds at a time.

Thanks for the replies

Joe

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
range ammo

Mixing ammo?

Ammo not consistantly loaded, you will get random changes in slide velocity.

Watch your thumbs too
The first time it happened it was with Rem/UMC range ammo. The other time or two it was with my reloads which was loaded on my Dillon 550 and they always seem consistent.

I shoot with low thumbs.

Thanks

Joe

·
MacGyver
7,577 Posts
The first time it happened it was with Rem/UMC range ammo. The other time or two it was with my reloads which was loaded on my Dillon 550 and they always seem consistent.

I shoot with low thumbs.

Thanks

Joe
I don't reload so I don't know how you or others are monitoring for "consistancy" accurately. I would think that is common problem with reloads-- most people assume they reload perfectly 100% of the time.

Have you been dry firing alot? Dry firing slide cycling affects the recoil spring too-- thus you've only fired 500 rounds, but dry fired 5000 times.

·
I'm not retired
7,264 Posts
The first time it happened it was with Rem/UMC range ammo.
monitoring for "consistancy" accurately.
Rem UMC is the absolute worst crap, over the shelf ammo out there. I wouldn't take the stuff for free. It's one ammo you can actually feel the difference in recoil between rounds. Junk, junk, and junk. If you can feel a mosquito bite you, you can feel the inconsistency of this CRAP ammo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts