Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Glock 41 for years and it had been working fine. Now, it drops mags when I fire. Not the first bullet, not the last. I fire, the mag drops, and no bullet is loaded into the chamber. I am sure the mags are in the gun solidly before firing. I can hold the mag in with my left hand and the gun fires ok, it recycles normally. It is not the mags because I have a Glock 21 and the mags work fine in that. Is there apart that is failing that I can replace?

·
Registered
23,242 Posts
Check your mag release. Is the catch getting rounded? Is the spring showing enough tension? Another thought is you are touching the mag release during recoil

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
Never experienced that with mine. Sorry.

Reactions: Glockdude1

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your mag release. Is the catch getting rounded? Is the spring showing enough tension? Another thought is you are touching the mag release during recoil
Unconsciously touching the mag release is an interesting question, although I have 4 Glocks and have not had this issue on any of the others. Also I have had this Glock 41 since 2014 and this issue just started last month. I successful shot 18 13-round magazines on Friday with my Glock 21. A week earlier I had 8 out of the same 18 magazines drop out when I fired. This is the second time this had happened. I had six magazines fail in December, prior to that, I have never had a failure.

When I put a magazine in, I cannot pull the magazine out manually. The spring tension on the magazine release seems fine. It seems to compare with the tension on my G35. The magazine catch looks ok, although I have not removed it to inspect it in detail. It seems like the explosion when a bullet fires, is causing the magazine to drop.

·
MacGyver
8,226 Posts
Left handed shooting, and it behaves fine??? That means your right hand is hitting the mag release. I'll have to look at my 41, but I suspect it has an extended mag release-- thus your 21 works fine.

Otherwise it is spirits and goblins causing your problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Left handed shooting, and it behaves fine??? That means your right hand is hitting the mag release. I'll have to look at my 41, but I suspect it has an extended mag release-- thus your 21 works fine.

Otherwise it is spirits and goblins causing your problem.
I will be very careful next time I shoot to make sure I am not hitting the mag release, but I may try you idea of shooting with the left hand. I never really practice that and it is a good idea.

·
MacGyver
8,226 Posts
I just looked at my G41 (gen4 style frame) compared to my G21SF-- indeed the 41 mag release button is about 2-3x the size of the 21SF.

Your R thumb should be at the slide stop, not anywhere near the mag release when you shoot- inside or above the thumb dimple.

Also, push pull on the mag whenever you load- a fully loaded mag is not necessarily locked in, and will drop after few rounds fired.

I think your mystery is not as mysterious. Anymore shooting lessons, and I will have to send a bill.

·
Combat Diver
3,618 Posts
I will be very careful next time I shoot to make sure I am not hitting the mag release, but I may try you idea of shooting with the left hand. I never really practice that and it is a good idea.
Is your G 21 an SF model or a Gen 3? There is a bit more purchase on the Gen 4 Mag releases. That may be causing you to bump it a bit.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your G 21 an SF model or a Gen 3? There is a bit more purchase on the Gen 4 Mag releases. That may be causing you to bump it a bit.
The issue is not my G21. The G21 on Friday fired 18 magazines with no issues. The issue is a G41, that had been working fine for three years and the last two times at the range 8 out of 18 magazines drop out when the fun fires.

·
Combat Diver
3,618 Posts
Right, I fully understand. I didn't completely explain my thought. I asked about the G 21 because the G 21 gen 3 has a smaller mag release which would make it harder to bump and cause the issue you are having with the G 41. This would support your test results as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoot it 1 handed and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you're hitting the release.
Agreed, next time I go the range, I will be very careful to make sure I am not hitting the mag release. Although I do not hit the mag release on my other three Glocks, all Gen4s, and I have been shooting my G41 for three years with no issues, the issue of the dropped mag release just started the last two times I was at the range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both have the standard release that comes with the gun. They look identical. When I look at the parts list, I do not see an extended slide release option for either the G21 or G41 for a Gen 4.

I just tried dry firing my G41. My right thumb is no where near the slide release. It is above my left thumb and the left thumb is under the slide above the slide release and my palm is behind the slide release. It seems that the way I hold the gun, when I dry fire, nothing is near the release. I will check out again live the next time I go to the range.

Is a defective slide release the only thing that can cause this, if my hand is not releasing the mag, or can there be other damage to the gun. I can try changing the slide release between my G21 and G41 and see if the issue goes away, or moves to the G21. Also, for $3.00 I could just order a new slide release :)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Sounds like the mag release needs to be replaced.
I had the same problem with a brand new G-24.
But I was hitting the mag release with my right thumb.
This was before I started using a more thumbs forward grip.
Also the G-24 like the G-17L used the extended mag release.
I changed the mag release, and changed my grip.
Problem solved two ways.
Those extended mag release buttons were very sharp.
Your mag release may be just worn enough to be rounded off, or might have something Debris of some kind in the way.
Look it over inside and out and compare it with the inside of another pistol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts