close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock .40 magazines not working for 357 SIG conversion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ejconnors, Apr 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ejconnors

ejconnors

I would appreciate some help with this problem. I have a Glock 23 and bought a Federal Arms 357 SIG barrel for it. I
    got out to the range and found the darned thing jams almost every shot. I studied the problem and found that the nose
    of the 357's come up sluggishly and get jammed against the front of the magazine...the barrel has nothing to do with the
    problem. I can take the magazines, load them and just try to thumb strip them and the nose of the bullet hits against
    the inside-front of the magazine. I tried this with both Sellier & Belloit and Speer Lawman 357 SIG ammo, in 2 Glock
    ..40 and 3 different Scherer magazines.....they ALL do it!! The 357 SIG rounds are exactly the same case diameter (before the neck) and are the same length as .40 S&W rounds. I had read that the barrel change was all that was
    necessary. This gun has never misfed 1 .40 S&W round in more than 2000 rounds. I can't see why the heck the necked
    cartridge would create this problem but it does. All of the springs in my mags are good and they are clean. I had to
    lift some of the bullet noses up with my thumbnail just to strip the rounds from the mags at the kitchen table, it's the
    damndest thing. I even cut about 1/16" off of the front of a Scherer mag to see if that would help but the rounds get
    where they are almost horizontal with the ground, laying flat in the magazine, even pushing on the rim with a fingernail
    doesn't bring the nose up. Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind buying 10 round factory G-32 mags, but would
    like to use what I have. Am I they only person this has happened to? I can't be!

Thanks in advance,

Ed Connors

2. noway

noway

First suggestion would be get rid of the "Scherer magazines" and buy the 10rds 40 or 357sig magazines. I had the same combo G23 w/Federal bbl and had 100% feeding with the stock 10rds 23/32 magazines.

Be advise that I could only get 9rds of 40sw in the G32 magazines so if you don't plan on shooting the 357sig that much stay with the 40SW mags.

good luck.

3. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Just out of curiousity, since discovering the problem with the .357sig rounds and the .40 mags, have you tried loading the .40s&w rounds into the mags and if so, how did they function?

And I have seen this happen with mags but they all fed and functioned fine when firing instead of just emptying the mag by hand so not sure exactly what is going wrong but best of luck. ;I

4. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Well get to the bottom of this;f

Here are a few things to look for anytime a .357sig conversion dosent work right.
    1. I havent had any luck using NFML .40 Preban mags with the .357 sig.
    (I have had nothing but good luck with the FML preban version though.)

2. If they are 10 round mags how old are they?
    (The older style .40 /10 round mags had a diffrent follower than the .357 version of the same 10 round mags... The never however are the same).

3. If the mag springs are a little worn in the .40 mags it will cause jams with the .357sig round.
    (the .357 sig needs the nose up a little higher than the .40 to feed right).

4. When is the last time the mags have had a good cleaning on the inside?

5. How does the ramp on the barrel look?
    (may want to give it a nice polish).

6. Sometimes a aftermarket barrel will need just a little hand fitting.

7.if you put a few rounds through the gun by hand does it jam then?

5. ejconnors

ejconnors

Thanks to all who answered my post. I ordered 3 factory 357 SIG mags for a G-32 today and some Wolff +10% mag springs. Below, I have answered your questions.
    Ed

Q: 1. I havent had any luck using NFML .40 Preban mags with the .357 sig.
    (I have had nothing but good luck with the FML preban version though.)

A: The nose of the cartridge still is sluggish to rise in the 10rd factory mags and jams against the inside front of the magazine...the factory mags DO feed more before rounds before the same thing happens.

Q: 2. If they are 10 round mags how old are they?
    (The older style .40 /10 round mags had a diffrent follower than the .357 version of the same 10 round mags... The never however are the same).

The factory mags are about 4 months old and the others vary. All feed .40's great.

Q: 3. If the mag springs are a little worn in the .40 mags it will cause jams with the .357sig round.
    (the .357 sig needs the nose up a little higher than the .40 to feed right).

Yes, that "nose dive" is giving me fits. Maybe the 357 is built upon the front end of the follower (it does have a different part #, according to Glock they use the same spring in the 23 & 32.

4. When is the last time the mags have had a good cleaning on the inside? Not more than 2 weeks ago, we had a sandstorm and there was some grit in them. They are clean, clean, clean!

5. How does the ramp on the barrel look?
    (may want to give it a nice polish).

There is a nice smooth finish to the feed ramp, the rounds are pushing up against the inside front of the magazine. I did cut out a notch in a Scherer mag to see if it would help the nose keep from jamming. All the did was to let the round hit BELOW the feed ramp. It's a low nose problem for sure.

6. Sometimes a aftermarket barrel will need just a little hand fitting.

This one really does fit up well.

7.if you put a few rounds through the gun by hand does it jam then?

No, it fires and ejects them pefectly. When it jams (with the mag in), I have to pull the slide back and it MAY strip and put another round into battery if I see the bullet nose up. I usually have to lock the slide back and smack the magazine on the floor plate until I see the nose come up enough in the magazine so it is aimed at the feed ramp.

That's it, thanks again to all of you for replying. I'll let you know when I get the new mags/springs.

6. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

My next suggestion was to try some extra power mag springs but I see you have some comming;)

Let us know how it works out.

7. Tupperware

Tupperware

Glock model 32 and model 23 magazine tubes are different internally. It is not just the follower that is different. Problems such as you describe are not uncommon with this conversion. Caliber specific mags (model 32) will probably do the trick.

8. GWP535

GWP535

ejconnors,
    Everyone above gave you good advice. I have a G32 and also a factory G23 barrel for it. I use only stock Glock factory G23 mags for it. 99% of the time I carry it and shoot it in matches with the G23 barrel and mags. I also have the original 2 G32 mags that came with the gun, but I don't ever use them. As one of the earlier posters mentioned the two different caliber mags will not hold the max number of rounds of the other caliber. I can only stuff 9 rounds of .357 SIG in the G23 mags and 9 rounds of .40 S&W in the G32 mags. However, all my factory mags work 100% of the time with the other caliber rounds in them. When I carry the gun with the .357SIG ammo, I use Full Capacity G23 mags and the gun functions at 100%. I've never had a problem. I suggest your problem likely stems from using non-Glock mags. I suppose it is remotely possible, but highly unlikely that the after-market barrel is causing the problem. I am have several friends and relatives that, upon my recommendation, use this same G32 to G23 factory conversion and none of them have had problems using the G23 factory mags for both calibers (I always recommend converting the G32 to a G23, not the other way). Not that it makes any difference, but I am also a factory certifed Glock armorer.

Use factory mags and I think your problem will go away.

Wes

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Of the 3 fellow shooters that I personally know in my area that has tried this same conversion could only get reliable feeding by using .357sig mags with the .357sig rounds and .40 mags with the .40 rounds. Have you tried the .357sig mag to see if it works? Just a suggestion based on 3 of my friends experience that had the same problem.

10. ejconnors

ejconnors

Well fellers,

First, I want to thank all of you guys for the top notch advice and information you gave me. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post as well.

The new 357 Glock magazines did the trick, they fed Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot, and some of my handloads I was working up, perfectly! I put a Wolff +10% spring in my factory Glock .40 magazine but still got a pretty consistant jam the second round fired(out of 9). The feeding seems better if only 7 rounds are loaded into the .40 Glock brand mag.

Scherer mags: Even with the Wolff +10% springs installed, they just jammed more. Mind you, these magazines work very well with .40's but as many of you guys said, forget them for 357 SIG!!

It's hard to tell what the difference is when looking at the 357 and .40 magazines. The tubes and followers look the same but a few thousandths of more or less metal and plastic sure do make a difference. Here's a scary thought I had at the range....I sure don't want to pick up a mag loaded with 357 SIG and plug it in when I have the .40 barrel in because it will chamber (the opposite isn't true)! All I would hope is that the bullet wouldn't try to tumble in the bigger barrel. I really keep them separated now and am going to buy some different colored floor plates in order better differentiate them!!

Thanks a million again for all of your help, I really got to enjoy shooting the 357, it is louder...much louder than the .40 S&W. My groups were about the same as with the .40, but I was gun and load testing and didn't take my pistol rest and set it up. It's very evident that the velocity is higher, those 9mm's sing/whizz out of it when someone else shoots it and you hear it at a distance without ear protection.

Take care,
    Ed