Glock 40 10mm issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bama rolls, Jul 10, 2017.

1. TGT

TGT

Don't know which drives me crazier, this kind of advice ??..... or Hillary voters?? :brickwall:

Do I understand that this 50 something year old guy should simply try to retrain a lifetime of how he has always held and fired his guns accurately, and how he would automatically fire his guns in a defense situation accurately (and automatically)........ just to work around problems with one troublesome Glock gun?

Is that the recommendation? I might as well be hearing; "Sir, you can change your handrwiting if you will just practice holding your pen different."

Toby196 likes this.
  2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I shot my second best PPC score with my Glock 20. The only modification is a minus connector. Hours of tack driving fun with my Glocks new and old.

agtman likes this.

3. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Thanks for replying everyone. I have sent the gun to glock for them to check. I was able to put it in a vise and lock it down and it was still off 5-6 inches left at 17-20 yards. For a hunting gun this is not acceptable and that's what Glock says this gun is for. I'll update y'all in couple weeks. They claim turn around is about 14 days. Thanks everyone

4. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Good luck on the warranty work. Yes, please do post a follow-up range report.

As far as what Glock thinks the G40's primary use is, ... they certainly built improved hunting capability into the set up with MOS-ready platform. Still, I've found mine to be super-accurate with a set of fixed Trijicon night sights, the front sight having a green dot to contrast with the orange rear dots.

For me, the G40's ideal use is as a rough country/backwoods/boonies gun. Durable, accurate, high-capacity, and it certainly carries easier than any one of the all-steel mega-magnum wheelguns. With the G40 secured in a proper center-chest holster, your hands are free while hiking, doing camp chores, or fishing off a river bank for salmon out in the Alaskan bush.

5. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Amen I could not agree more on the use of G40 and chest holsters

agtman likes this.
  6. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Tom at 2aholster.com makes a great chesty for the G 40. here is the one I wear to the range when I work out / shoot. I also have a hunting version in multi-cam. (Picture to follow)
    VZM.IMG_20170128_131225.jpg

WeeWilly and agtman like this.
  7. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

I like that chest holster. That needs to be my next purchase

8. MayorMcCheese

MayorMcCheese

I agree, don't think you'll need to move therear sight very far, hate to say it but you could alter the notch in the rear or the front.

9. Current Resident

Current Resident

Food for thought, if you are right handed try pushing with your left thumb, weak hand, on the frame and steer the pistol if you will. Slight pressure to the right, I've done this before with success.

10. 4949shooter

4949shooter

OP has said the pistol is going back to Glock.

Toby196 likes this.
  11. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yeah, let Glock correct the issue under warranty. It might be that just swapping in a new barrel will correct POI.

I've shot any number of different Glocks over the years, and I've never encountered a POA/POI issue that's as bad as what the OP relates in this thread.

Toby196 and 4949shooter like this.
  12. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I haven't either. It will be interesting to see what Glock does.

13. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Here ya go.....

14. Bob Scully

Bob Scully Fireman Bob

6"@17 yards on gun with a 8.19" between sights. We could do the math on that but I don't think you'd be drifting the rear sight to right very far to move that group right 6 inches at 17 yards...
    Have you contacted Glock?

@

15. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think there are manufacturing variations in the barrel that might explain what you are experiencing. I own the the Glock29 10mm. I had it milled and mounted a red dot sight on it as you can see in my avatar. I discovered that I was unable to zero my red dot in with the stock barrel, because my groups were too big. I replaced the stock barrel with KKM threaded barrel. This caused my grouping to tighten up considerably and I was able zero the red dot.

Later on a lark, I put a 6.02 inch lone wolf barrel in it just so I could simulate the Glock40. I discovered that I had to re-zero my red dot to accommodate the LW six inch barrel. I then discovered that the groups were even tighter and it was easier to control the recoil "flip". I understand why people like this as a hunting weapon. Of course the velocity of my bullets increased and the trajectory was very flat. 10mm are great weapons. The only problem I had with the six inch barrel was that it poked me when I carried as my CCW.

16. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry

I went through pretty much the same thing with a new G17. Ended up shipping to Glock @ $200+ they did a ton of stuff to it but now it shoot reasonably well as long as I use heavier bullets. As for the 10mm I've had a G20 since 93, and it definitely likes heavier loads as in 180 and 200 grain types. Hope things work out for you.

TGT likes this.
  17. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Well everyone I got my gun back from Glock yesterday. Talk about a fast turn around. I have nothing to say but positives about Glock. The serial number is the same but everything else looks new. It came back with the butt plug in a zip lock baggie, the gun was very dry which is not how it was sent, and there is no residue anywhere-slide, barrel or trigger mech. The paper work only says service. Does have a four shot target that states 15 yards with all 4 shots in bullseye. I've only shot it 5 times (it's just too hot in Alabama now) but it hits where it's pointed now. Thank you Glock. One more thing guys, the sights are centered on side. No changes to sights to fix an issue. Thanks to everyone. I highly recommend Glock.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    G19 fan, TGT, WeeWilly and 4 others like this.
  18. John Watson

John Watson

That's great that you got it back so quick and it works properly. I sure wish companies would state what was done for warranty work, but in the end results are what matter.

19. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yeah, great to hear! :cool: But before you start moving the rear sight off factory center, shoot it for at least 300-rds with full-power 10mm ammo (factory or handloads) to be sure that any questionable POA/POI hits aren't a shooter-induced issue.

20. davethehiker

davethehiker

Yee gads! 300-rds with full-power 10mm ammo will cost more than the cost of sending it out for repair! I would be satisfied if I just got a dozen round on target.