Glock 40 10mm issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bama rolls, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Steve Konegni

Steve Konegni

Sounds very much like a grip issue to me. I carried G30 & G21 my last ten years as a cop and while I qualified with very high scores, I shot to the left more so than with my 9mm's and .40's. The exception was my G36. I have never had issues along those lines with the 36. I finally took the G21 to Robar and had the grip diameter reduced. End of issue.
    I have average sized hands and am not intimidated by recoil or large guns. I carried a S&W 629 4inch barreled in .44 magnum as a Sheriff's Deputy in the 80's. But I did go to a rubber (Safariland) smaller diameter grips to accomodate my hand size. I always shot and do shoot well with it today.
    Since the full size 10mm and .45ACP are the same sized frame, I suspect that you have the same problem I did. I am also getting my G30 grip reduced for the same reason. Most of my Glocks are old original runs, not Gen 3 or Gen 4, so I have to have something that drastic done.
    I don't recall whether or not you have access to a Ransom Rest to lock the pistol down to confirm it isn't a manufacturing issue. Might be worth taking to a good gun smith with one and find out whether its the gun or the fitting issue.

TGT likes this.
  2. Steve Konegni

Steve Konegni

Oh, Im an ASU fan, but for all the guys I work with in SW Asia who are wearing red hats with a white "A" on it; "Roll Tide".

3. Sherlock Glock

Sherlock Glock Lifetime Member

Before moving the rear sight, look very closely, is the rear sight centered in the sight slot. If it is on the left side then center it.
    Second: Many right hand shooters who place their trigger finger to far in will shoot low left. Low right for left handed shooters. Press the trigger with the center of the first pad, pulling straight to the rear.

TGT and Steve Konegni like this.
  4. Steve Konegni

Steve Konegni

Sherlock Glock, I agree with the tirgger being pulled straight back. There are lots of folks who no longer teach to use the pad of the finger on pistol triggers (I recently was made a believer at Sig Sauer Academy during a firearms developement course) and use the underside of the first knuckle so that there is only one moving joint involved. Regardless, with a grip that is too big for the hand, trigger placement and pushing the gun to the left with the tirgger finger is a common result.

5. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

Bama, since your brother has the exact same gun as you do and you're going to trade barrels to isolate the trouble you can also trade slides while you're at it.
    There is a possibility that the slide is the problem.

Groot

nikolaz, TGT, Bozz10mm and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pluto57

Pluto57

If the gun doesn't shoot to point of aim from a rest, then the problem isn't the shooter. The gun are broke.

jbaker30, Toby196 and Steve Konegni like this.
  7. igorts

igorts

Had similar issue with my g20 long (LWD 6" slide).
    I also had .40 SW barrel which was shooting straight, proving it's not grip issue or internals.
    So I made LWD exchange 10mm barrel and it hits where I aim since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toby196 and TGT like this.
  8. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

I heard an old timer at my range one time refer to that phenomenon as "lobstering".

9. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

10. TGT

TGT

LOL..... funny how sometimes the obvious get's overlooked; Yes, checking the factory installation of the rear sight is a good start! Wouldn't that be nice & simple. LOL

Second....I have to respectfully disagree with ANYTHING about changing trigger finger placement, if the OP has been firing many pistols accurately his whole life. This not the time to start trying to change a life long shooting style to try to satisfy just one particular new gun. During high adrenaline self defense, his grip as he has always done with good accuracy, will be automatic and should be left alone. Now if he's never been a good shot or never really had a good consistent shooting style, then that's a different story; Last year for the first time in 40 years I retrained myself to hold my left index finger out along the pistol slide for a more controlled grip. That took a LOT of retraining for it to become an automatic response now. ie; Back in the revolver era of the 1970's it was common to simply cup your left hand around your right hand.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Toby196 and Steve Konegni like this.
  11. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Amen Pluto

jbaker30 likes this.
  12. Areo

Areo

I had the a similar issue with my brand new G43. It would shoot about 6 inches low at 7 yards with many different brands of ammo with some variation as you would expect but still too low.
    I took it back to Cabela's and they sent it back to Glock. I got it back with a note that they had replaced a couple of spring and fine tuned it if my memory serves me correctly. They included a proof paper target. I took it to the range and WOW!!! I did not think a little 43 could shoot so well. I did not get any detail info as to the exact work they had done since I was perfectly happy with the results. As far as I know they could have replaced the barrel too.

Toby196 likes this.
  13. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

That's great to know. Since I put it in a vise and still shot bad I've decided to send it back. Thanks for giving me a confidence boost to send it back

jbaker30 and Toby196 like this.
  14. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Too bad they don't make the Glock 40 in an SF version. Or do they? I'm also thinking it might be the grip size if everything else checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Konegni likes this.
  15. Areo

Areo

You are quite welcome. In my case there was no questions asked which to me it meant they noticed it too and were going to make good on their service and customer support.

Steve Konegni likes this.
  16. 4949shooter

4949shooter

The Gen 4 (G20 and 21) grip without the back strap is the same as the SF version.

Toby196 and Steve Konegni like this.
  17. dp1749

dp1749

Bama, these are all pretty much the possible solutions I'd suggest. But, since I don't have a G40, I can't speak from direct experience. However, I do shoot my G20sf often enough to say that my grip on that gun as well as my trigger finger position make a big difference in my results. I shoot a lot of 40, 10mm, 45 and 44mag from a number of different platforms and have found that the combination of higher velocities and grip configuration from my G20sf tend to give me a fit sometimes. I haven't done any long distance shooting with it yet, but at 7 to 10 yards, I have to grip a bit higher and use a little less trigger finger to keep my patterns consistent. I have fairly long fingers so if I use too much trigger finger, my groups almost always go left or left and low.

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Let an experienced Glock shooter try the gun.
    My guess is too much trigger finger.
    [​IMG]

19. Mingo

Mingo

Was going to suggest the trigger finger problem and thinking of where I put my Problem Analyzer diagram that somebody else just posted above "Mnerava".
    I got mine off my LEE Precision CD that I got for the trajectory calculation charts and its got one of these on it somewhere also.
    I say this because of the problem I had with a full size G21 & then had the grip reduced by a shop in NM that specialized in it & also stippling before I'd ever heard of it. They did a great job but can't remember the name of the gun shop now :-(
    I know you said you didn't want to move the rear sight BUT, sometimes you just have to do what you don't want to anyway to get things right.
    Since you said you were in your 50's, maybe You'll know just WHO took it upon themselves in this generation to change Webster's from PROBLEM to ISSUE?
    We sure didn't hear the Apollo Astronaut call down "Huston, we have an ISSUE" !
    I just HATE it when this generation changes so much of the DICTIONARY we have been taught and given for definitions and pronunciations & then THEY think they know more & change things. They have NO Such Right to do so!
    Sorry for hijacking the thread for THAT but I just had my fill of "ISSUES". :-(
    Forgive me please & if you MUST, then drift that rear sight "just a little" as it shouldn't take much to move it, or shouldn't anyway. Use either a Sight Pusher or Soft Drift Punch with large face. I use a small piece of Micarta from knife handle material I use to make one just for that purpose & leaves no marks on sights or guns.
    TRY working on the grip and Trigger Finger first though & you might find your cure. The G21 I've got was simply to large in he grip front to back and My groups both Low & Left.

20. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Among experienced pistoleros, thats a well-known chart for diagnosing handgun shooting errors. I've seen easily 50 or 60 "cards" with that chart on it given out to novice shooters over the years.

Especially with the large-frame Glocks, limp-wristing can cause errant hits, not to mention jams, and limp-wristing a 10mm is never a good thing.

I have a G40 and the thing shoots to POA like a frickin' laser.

MinervaDoe likes this.