Glock 40 10mm issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bama rolls, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Thanks I'll do that. I appreciate everyone responding with useful helpful suggestions. Means a ton to me

2. TXscooterguy

TXscooterguy Old, One-legged, Fat Guy

I just got a Glock 40 MOS. I took a pistol rest to the range to adjust the stock sights. It grouped on target just fine. I mounted the Vortex Venom and adjusted it. So if it shoots right, left, high or low, I know it's my faulty grip.

Patrick Sperry likes this.

3. tundracamper

tundracamper

So, you insist the gun shoots left from where it is aimed (you've even used a stand) AND you don't want to adjust the sight. I see three options. 1) Aim right. 2) Return the gun to Glock to have it checked. 3) Sell it.

Toby196 likes this.
  4. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

I d
    I don't mind moving sights but I believe sights should be for fine tuning point of impact not out right fixing poi. In order to correct this pistol so far the rear sight will have to be moved right as far as possible

Toby196 and GoetzTalon like this.
  5. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

I have some more testing in mind before I make a big move like getting rid of it. Thanks

6. TGT

TGT

BTW, I don't believe I read anywhere in this thread that you tried benching the gun. Did you? I do this preliminary POI try-out with every handgun I have ever bought, or, when testing a new handload POI;

I simply kneel firmly with both knees on the ground or sit firm at the bench (depending on if you are at a pistol stall or at a rifle bench) and hold the gun firmly with two hands onto the bench or the stall shelf. Take very deliberate and careful aim through your sights (as you have always lined up the sights) and pull the trigger slowly and take a few shots this way. Any Glock, Sig, 1911, or other quality pistol I've ever owned will always put the shots into a tight cluster at 25 feet. If you were to try this and get a tight group exactly where you are aiming, then you will know the gun shoots straight, and it's your style of shooting or grip that is to blame when it shoots left.

I always try out any new pistols or handloads this way. In the past, I've had other shooters walk by me on the firing line, catch a glimpse of me shooting like that, and sneer or laugh at me with their friends. Evidently, a lot of folks have no clue what I'm doing and never do this basic test of their ammo or their gun's POI.

Furthermore......
    how convenient your brother has the same gun! If after the POI test, you find the gun truly does shoot to the left, you might just try swapping out the barrel with your brother and see if what Nick B said (in post #11) changes anything.

7. TXscooterguy

TXscooterguy Old, One-legged, Fat Guy

8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Have a gunsmith make you a custom set of sights with the front sight shifted slightly to the left and the rear notch shifted slightly to the right.

Either that or send the gun back to Glock or sell this gun and buy a different one.

9. tundracamper

tundracamper

Patrick Sperry likes this.
  10. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

I put the gun in a make shift vise this pm. Same result. I made some pics. Maybe I can get them to post. The 2/3 target is about 50 yards away. As u can see it barely hit target

TGT likes this.
  11. TGT

TGT

Well then, I think that settles that. It's NOT you. As you know, it will be real easy to borrow your brothers barrel and drop it in your gun and see if that makes a difference. If you're lucky, a barrel replacement will be the answer. And if you can determine that for sure, and let Glock know it, I'd bet they would swap out the barrel for you. Otherwise, without knowing for sure why it does it, I'd bet they will only drift the sight for you and send the gun back to you.

Toby196 and 10or45 like this.
  12. TGT

TGT

Ooops....Duplicate of my above post.

Anyway......
    Bama, yes, it will never hurt to ask Glock. But in my experience with so many gun manufacturers, very often they are courteous and tell me on the phone to just send it in to them. (ie; standard procedure) .....and they send it back to me with the same dang problem. I had a terrible experience with Kahr in partuiclular who had me pay shipping Twice! Nothing ever got fixed. Shipping is expensive, especially when overnight shipping is required!!!..... and so too is test ammo.... if nothing ever gets fixed. But yea, I'd call too just to see what they say.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Toby196 and Patrick Sperry like this.
  13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Just curious, did your brother shoot the gun yet?

14. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

sorry but I cant get the pics to display. what I did was put the gun in a lead sled and I use a strap to Velcro my long guns in it. I got the strap to go in the trigger housing and strapped it down to the bar underneath the gun supports on the sled. I put 3 hits on the 17-20 yard target it grouped all 3 shots close together. I went ahead and shot one shot at 50 yards and just barely hit the target. Im thinking of contacting glock about it. I guess it will not hurt to ask.

Toby196 and Patrick Sperry like this.
  15. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

no
    not yet

16. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

I did free hand one shot with the thicker backstrap and it did not change it at all. Im about ready to save my ammo and see what Glock says.

Toby196 likes this.
  17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Well, there were some Glocks produced that had defective locking blocks. Some shot as much as 12" left and high at 15 yards by the Range Master, who is also an Master Class USPSA shooter. It was a local PD and they replaced the units.

domino1 and whirlibird like this.
  18. DanGuy48

DanGuy48

I've worked at a range 17-21 hours/week for just over 2 years now, mostly on the firing line as an RSO. I see this 7:00 stringing pattern all the time with right handed shooters (5:00 with left handed). If the pattern is in a line roughly, it tells me that you are probably establishing a good sight picture but you're changing something in your interface with the gun (grip/trigger) just prior to firing. The fact you also experience this with the 10 and not others makes some sense too because of its recoil. To be honest, I don't know if it's a change in grip pressure, tensing against the shot or trigger application but it is, by far, the most common problem I see.

Try this, just as a test, I'm not recommending you shoot this way permanently. Instead of using steadily increasing pressure on the trigger, go in stages, 10% increase, 10% increase, 10% increase....bang. The simple act of having to concentrate on small incremental stages in pulling the trigger usually lets the shot happen more by surprise. This keeps you from bracing, changing grip pressure or being overly aggressive with the trigger when you think you've got the best sight picture. If your group improves then at least you are on the right track.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    pizza_pablo and 4949shooter like this.
  19. Bama rolls

Bama rolls

Thanks I give it a try

20. DanGuy48

DanGuy48

This target is from a relatively new, young, right handed shooter. The number 4 target is what he had shot first. The next two targets, two then six, were what he shot next trying the same thing I suggested above. Like I said, it's not a recommended way to shoot, just a way to help isolate and diagnose the problem.

http://imageshack.com/i/poDWAfByj