Glock 39 Range Report w/ Pics

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Animalmother, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Animalmother

Animalmother

This is an update on my new Glock 39 that I bought a few weeks back. Gun was NIB and I paid $425 OTD.

Made it to the range Friday. Brought 7 boxes (350 rounds) of Federal American Eagle 185gr TMJ.

Like every Glock I have owned, gun went bang every time. Fed, fired, and ejected without incident. The G39 is indeed pleasent to shoot (as was noted in Gun Tests and Combat Handgun reviews). The gun was easy to control and my hand was fine after 350 rounds. I could have shot a lot more.

The G39 is the same size as the G26 and G27 but has a big old 45 caliber hole in the barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pulled the last shot (which is the flyer).

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Looks good congrats.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G39.

4. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

NICE! I put a Glock 39 on layaway a week ago and im gonna bring it home next pay check so im excited! I will post pics and also do a range review myself. I got everything ready for EDC. I got a High Noon Bare Asset IWB holster (which I think you should check out) and bought a whole mess of ammo. I bought Winchester 230gr JHP, American Eagle 185gr FMJ, and Speer Gold Dot 200gr BJHP as my carry ammo.

What carry ammo do you use in your G39?

Thinking about doing any upgrades? (ie. night sights, laser, anything else) I have been looking at night sights for my G39 but I dont know which to get. I dont think I wana go XS Big Dot. Maybe something else. Any suggestions for nights sight on a sub compact Glock?

5. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

This is simply the best sub that I ever owned... It shoots as well as the G26, with less flip and recoil than the 27. I love this gun.

I carry Speer GDHP 185gr, and it kicks tail.

I WISH.... People would try this round before bashing it!

Here is a couple different ammo pics that I have and use 100% reliably.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170303

[​IMG]

7yds (21ft)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  6. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

7. Animalmother

Animalmother

"What carry ammo do you use in your G39?" JCROWNII

Cor-Bon Powerball 165gr JHP. 1075 FPS / 424 FPE

"Thinking about doing any upgrades? (ie. night sights, laser, anything else) I have been looking at night sights for my G39 but I dont know which to get. I dont think I wana go XS Big Dot. Maybe something else. Any suggestions for nights sight on a sub compact Glock?" JCROWNII

I got the XS Big Dot sights. Best CQB sight out there in my opinion. I will have them installed within the next couple of weeks.

Great pic, tampashooters!

8. Animalmother

Animalmother

"I WISH.... People would try this round before bashing it!" tampashooters

+ 1. A lot of people who say dumb things about the GAP round have never shot one.

9. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

I bought the Speer Gold Dot 200gr BJHP.

Im gonna shoot a magazine and see how they feel. Do you think I should go with the 185gr or the 200gr for CC.

Im probably gonna go with the 185gr after I shoot these up.

10. dday27

dday27

+1 People should really check out Glocks GAP line, I own all 3 and carry the G38 daily, Very accurate out of the box!

11. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

All this GAP talk is calling me back to the round..........:whistling:

I do miss my G38. :crying:

12. webb3201

webb3201

My new 39 (OD) is en route to my FFL now. I love my 26 form factor and never got comfortable carry the G30 as a CCW. I never considered the .45 GAP until I saw how cheaply the G39 can be purchased (389.00 on Gbroker). I plan to put 200 rounds through it and if it goes as well as I expect, I will add my night sites and carry it as my EDC pistol.

13. Animalmother

Animalmother

"Do you think I should go with the 185gr or the 200gr for CC." JCROWNII

185gr would be my choice if the Powerball load was not available. I'm a big fan of PB. First, it feeds like FMJ. Second, the polymer ball is self-lubricating (which means it glides up the feed ramp). Third, given one and two, this has got to be the most likely to feed defense round out there. Given all the tests and reviews I have seen, I don't ever recall a report of this ammo not feeding. Fourth, the ball aids expansion. Look at the tests results. This stuff mshrooms very well. Fifth, unlike normal JHPs, the nose of this round is not going to get clogged with something and fail to expand.

14. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I love my '39 so much I'm shopping for a big brother 38.

15. vinnier6

vinnier6

the 39 is not the same size as the 26/27...the 39 is larger...

16. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

The frames are identical, only the slide is larger. So when everyone says they're the same size they refer to the grip because that's the part they hold.

So basically you're all correct. :supergrin:

17. MarccraM

MarccraM

Personally I love the idea of the 39.. however there is no way that I am going to carry a sub sized glock for 6+1... Same reason I personally wouldnt own a 36.

I have no doubt that round may be great, but from a cc perspective I just cant get my head around the sub compact frame with that capacity.

My next glock will be the 27... Smaller than my 30 which is what I am looking for but 9+1 with a reasonably large round.

Wish they could cram some more 45's into that frame!! :winkie:

18. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Can't argue with that logic. If I felt vulnerable with 7 rounds I'd do what you're suggesting. I personally am convinced that for me that isn't enough of a concern to give up the firing characteristic's of the 45. In short, I'd rather carry a couple less rounds to get the one's I really want to shoot. But that's why theirs chocolate and vanilla. :wavey:

19. MarccraM

MarccraM

Quite honestly Im sure you're right in the long run.. If 7 rounds of 45 (gap or otherwise) isnt going to get it done.. it probably aint gonna get done :cool:

I like knowing the extras are there but Im realistic enough to understand that overwhelmingly, it isnt very important in the real world..

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

AnimalMother,

Nice gun!

'Drew
    :cool: