Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a G38.

For all those who haven't shot the 45GAP...rent one or find a friend with one.

Here's a Good Ol' boys take on a BADASS Glock.

Slide: The 38 has the fat slide of the larger cal Glocks. It looks as if it hangs off the sides of the frame. Measuring by eyeball and not the by the instruction book. The slide is about 1/8" wider and taller then the 22 and 17. The muzzle end has a nice smooth melt. The slide is heavy. As the entire pistol with full mags. My 22 'feels' lighter.

Frame: If you laid it on a table with a 19 frame, you'd be hard press to see any difference. But the ejector gives it away. The ejector is bent towards the center line of the frame. Large block. Rails look the same as the rest of Glock.

Mags: Same old Glock. Nothing real special. But the base plate looks to bulge with the mag fully loaded.

Recoil: Win Ranger 230grain.

I can describe the recoil as a mild push with no where the snap of the 40S&W. But way below the push of the 45acp. It's incredibly smooth. You do notice the speed is below the 40 and 9mm. But WOW, it gos *KA-PLAT!* when it hits the target. I shot thin meta(same thickness as a road sign)l, hell of a dent with a hole in the middle. The beer cans just exploded as if ran over by a lawn mower.(Yes they were un-open, but Coors sat in the sun for a week tastes nasty)

Off hand, I had the same level of accuracy as I have with 9mm, 40S&W, 38 Super, 38Spc, 357mag.... I usually can get the rounds in a 5" circle at 25yards. But I prefer to shot random small targets. It tore the hell out of every coke bottle and beer can I aimed at.

All in all...

I think my G22 needs a new home. The 45GAP is so much smoother with the punch of the 45ACP. Good Lord, I'd love a G39.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Good review. Sounds like you're beginning to love your G38 as much as me. 230gr. ammo shoots incredibly smooth with mild recoil. Some of the 185gr. stuff, especially defensive ammo, can get quite hot, though.

Congrats on your new purchase! Now join us in defeating GAP-o-phobia LOL.

·
Game Master
1,098 Posts
The 38 has the fat slide of the larger cal Glocks. It looks as if it hangs off the sides of the frame.
So as opposed to the 9mm/.40sw models (whose frames are wider than their slides), the G.A.P. slides are wider than their frames? Guess it doesn't matter, if at their widest point they are all 1.18" thick anyways. That's one thing I really like about the 36, that it's flat all the way, flush across slide to frame.

Congrats on the 38!

·
NRA Member
275 Posts
Nicw review -- I feel the same way about my G37 & G39. All this talk about the G38 is making me consider trading my G17L for a G38 :wow: I NEED one!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Like I said, I love all my GAP models!

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
I just got a G38.

For all those who haven't shot the 45GAP...rent one or find a friend with one.

Here's a Good Ol' boys take on a BADASS Glock.

Slide: The 38 has the fat slide of the larger cal Glocks. It looks as if it hangs off the sides of the frame. Measuring by eyeball and not the by the instruction book. The slide is about 1/8" wider and taller then the 22 and 17. The muzzle end has a nice smooth melt. The slide is heavy. As the entire pistol with full mags. My 22 'feels' lighter.

Frame: If you laid it on a table with a 19 frame, you'd be hard press to see any difference. But the ejector gives it away. The ejector is bent towards the center line of the frame. Large block. Rails look the same as the rest of Glock.

Mags: Same old Glock. Nothing real special. But the base plate looks to bulge with the mag fully loaded.

Recoil: Win Ranger 230grain.

I can describe the recoil as a mild push with no where the snap of the 40S&W. But way below the push of the 45acp. It's incredibly smooth. You do notice the speed is below the 40 and 9mm. But WOW, it gos *KA-PLAT!* when it hits the target. I shot thin meta(same thickness as a road sign)l, hell of a dent with a hole in the middle. The beer cans just exploded as if ran over by a lawn mower.(Yes they were un-open, but Coors sat in the sun for a week tastes nasty)

Off hand, I had the same level of accuracy as I have with 9mm, 40S&W, 38 Super, 38Spc, 357mag.... I usually can get the rounds in a 5" circle at 25yards. But I prefer to shot random small targets. It tore the hell out of every coke bottle and beer can I aimed at.

All in all...

I think my G22 needs a new home. The 45GAP is so much smoother with the punch of the 45ACP. Good Lord, I'd love a G39.

Where I come from you could get a beating for wasteing beer or even letting it get skunked from letting it sit in the sun.:supergrin:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
So as opposed to the 9mm/.40sw models (whose frames are wider than their slides), the G.A.P. slides are wider than their frames? Guess it doesn't matter, if at their widest point they are all 1.18" thick anyways. That's one thing I really like about the 36, that it's flat all the way, flush across slide to frame.

Congrats on the 38!
In fact, the GAP slides are the same width as the widest part of the (small) frame.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
:cool::cheers::bowdown::number1:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting. So this is an equivelant to a 45acp on a 9mm frame? Geez I only have a 19, and a 32 and the next in line continues to grow.:2gun:

·
NRA Member
275 Posts
Interesting. So this is an equivelant to a 45acp on a 9mm frame? Geez I only have a 19, and a 32 and the next in line continues to grow.:2gun:

Actually, not to stir the pot, but the .45GAP is an improvement on the .45ACP (although it was never meant to be competition for that caliber, it was meant to take away from the .40 S&W market).

In any event, the smaller .45GAP casing uses less powder but is ballisitcally the same performance as the .45ACP. Ergo, it is more efficient. Plus, the .45GAP cases are reinforced around the rim for added strength. Soon the nay-sayers will arrive to tell you how the .45ACP +P is better ballilstically. Well, can't argue that as it is indeed more potent. However, there aren't many folks who have a real need for +P (many have a perceived need though) -- Chuck Taylor even wrote an article in the current issue of Combat Handguns in which he expresses his opinion that .45ACP +P is not worth it.

Oh, by the way, from what I've read, if you're a .45ACP reloader you should use different .45ACP cases for the +P's that are reinforced -- not sure that would be worth it for an extra 50-75 fps, but ot each his own, I guess. So, there's another disadvantage, you need two different cases to reload .45ACP and .45ACP +P.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Another thread of how the gap outperforms the acp. The ACP is way to established of a round to be replaced. And quite honestly too many people like it. COmparing ACP to GAP is, once again:

:deadhorse:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Another thread of how the gap outperforms the acp. The ACP is way to established of a round to be replaced. And quite honestly too many people like it. COmparing ACP to GAP is, once again:

:deadhorse:
Sorry, you are beating the wrong horse! .45 GAP was never intended as a replacement for .45 ACP; it was intended to bring .45 ACP performance to a Glock that just about anyone could handle comfortably. (That means it might just replace some 9mm and .40 Glocks. :cool:)

·
Banned
474 Posts
Sorry, you are beating the wrong horse! .45 GAP was never intended as a replacement for .45 ACP; it was intended to bring .45 ACP performance to a Glock that just about anyone could handle comfortably. (That means it might just replace some 9mm and .40 Glocks. :cool:)
No I am definately beating the right horse. No one compares the gap to a .40 or 9mm. The comparison is always made to the acp with someone saying its better. Its a lost cause argument. Those who embrace new calibers will love it, those of us who love our acp wont. This is just like the 9mm is underpowered argument.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
No I am definately beating the right horse. No one compares the gap to a .40 or 9mm. The comparison is always made to the acp with someone saying its better. Its a lost cause argument. Those who embrace new calibers will love it, those of us who love our acp wont. This is just like the 9mm is underpowered argument.
The .45 ACP and .45 GAP are ballistically equivalent for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
dont tell me, I'm not the one that would argue one better than the other. I'm just saying that gap vs acp is getting old.
I'd say it was "old" the first time it came up! GAP is all about putting .45 ACP performance in a smaller package. It does that very well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts