close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 37 IDPA Class?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Joe D, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I wonder if the G37 will be allowed to shoot in CDP? I think I already know the answer. I guess Bill Wilson does not offer a 1911 in .45 Glock. One thing I have not been able to figure out is how my G35 makes the 165 PF in IPSC, but must not be able to in IDPA.

2. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

My bet would be on SSP. But I'm a really crappy gambler.

3. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I just got the call from the "Lords of wisdom at IDPA". The G37 is not legal for CDP as it is not a 45ACP. Gosh why did I expect this reply.
    I wonder if a G21 with a grip reduction is legal for CDP?

4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The glock 37 would be in SSP .... there is no reason to want it in a higher class.... and it is NOT a 45acp....

5. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I found the answer in the IDPA rule book as to grip reductions. They are legal in CDP. I guess I get a little irritated at some of the IDPA rules, but then I don't care for some of the IPSC rules either. Oh well!
    Quantico, I like to compete with the 1911s using a Glock. I can do this in IPSC, but not in CDP unless I shoot the G21. I have average sized hands that don't fit the G21's large grip.

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Joe D, you can use any non 45acp GLock in ESP and shoot against 1911s.

7. quantico

Joe, I find many of the rules frustrating at times too. The idea of allowing only 10 round max mags makes no sense when many folks carry full capacity mags for ccw. The club I shoot with often limits to 6 rounds in each mags so that revolvers have no disadvantage. I think it makes no sense to be a ccw defense competition where so many folks use 45acp revolvers with moon clips. This is not a popular combo for the street.... and few people lug around N frame smiths.
    Joe , the rule that always gets me is that my HK usp-40 can't shoot ssp and at the ame time be carried cocked and locked. The HK IS a stock service pistoil and can safely be carried cocked and locked.... but I have to compete outside of SSP with that gun carried as I would in the real world.

8. quantico

Here is another interesting IDPA deal.... you can't have metal guide rods in glocks although that is the only way I would carry a glock in the real world... I would have a heavier spring rate on a captured stainless guide rod and maybe a C-model.... so I can't use a gun in IDPA that would be what I actually would carry ???

9. quantico

Joe, here is another one for you.... How about wanting to compete with glocks using a springfield XD ?? not in SSP ??? I don't get the reason for that . These are two guns that do compete in a similar way in the real world or in the gun store for sales.

10. Joe D

Joe D Guest

CGR,that is the class I usually shoot in. I use a G35 with a long steel guide rod. I cannot use a Seattle Slug mag guide, however. I could use a steel magwell if somebody made one for a Glock, but I have not been able to find one.

11. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Catch a clue here, folks. Bill Wilson primarily, plus some cronies, basically invented IDPA and wrote the rules for CDP to emphasize the gun type - 1911's - that Bill Wilson modifies and sells. 1911-pattern guns are becoming increasingly obsolete in the face of guns like the G37. It is a clever way to maintain a market for an increasingly obsolete product. As far as IDPA is concerned, the G-37 will be relegated to SSP, where, since it will recoil a lot more than an identical 9mm or .40 Glock, there will be little demand to use it there. One of the things I have always disagreed with about IDPA that IPSC has right is power factoring. Shooting more loadings with more "stopping power" should be encouraged in the scoring rules. That will never happen in IDPA. Although IPSC is the same in "Production" class ("minor" scoring only) at least the G-37 will be able to compete in "Limited 10". It will be interesting to see how the G-37 stacks up against other "Limited 10"-oriented firearm makes.

12. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Banning the 10mm from CDP was the final straw for me. I dropped my membership in the Bill Wilson Crony club. However, I am still the VP and Rangemaster for our local club which shoots IDPA "style" matches. Last year, and again this year, we have run "Outlaw" State IDPA matches. Use the original IDPA rulebook and play it straight.

13. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Joe, you can use a aluminum seattle slug or THE mag well in ESP.

14. quantico

I find my 1911's excellent and not obsolete in any way. I trust them to be reliable and they are accurate and shoot a cartridge that has a good stopping record. The glocks have their place ,but so do the 1911's. Maybe part of it is that I have been shooting 1911's 25 + years and feel comfortable with them and feel that they are the best tool to defend my family with... in fact that is my choice.

15. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

I would like to see the G37 able to compete in CDP if it can make 165. I mean 165,000. If the competitor chooses to shoot 125, I mean 125,000 then he can shoot it in SSP. That would be fair. The same thing could be done with the 10mm. 125 in ESP, 165 in CDP.

16. MarkCO

That makes perfect sense to you and me, but not to Bill Wilson and since he holds the sceptor and makes the profits, he gets to choose his own rules.

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

18. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

The Speer page does not come up for me. No matter, it is all vaporware until a good number of production line guns and their ammo gets in the hands of paying customers and not company flacks or magazine writers.

Mac, there is a place where the .45GAP can shoot with the .45ACP; just take it to IPSC/USPSA and enter in Limited-10. There if it makes PF 165 it is Major and scores the same no matter what the headstamp. Just like my .38 Super. Oh, wait, there is something about a .40 caliber minimum in there. Now isn't that unfair? Whine, whine.

I think Mark has the right idea. If you don't like the central organization's rules, run your own show. There are a number of outlaw clubs shooting whatever the big frog in the small pond cares to set up. And that is good for him and his strictly local following. I just want to warn shooters in outlaw IDPA "style" events who get ambitious and want to attend a sanctioned match to study the official rules before they go. If they don't, they are likely to get their feelings badly hurt. I have seen it happen. "Uh, we don't do it that way down in Smallville." is not an effective counter to a Procedural.

19. MarkCO

VERY correct, and appropriate, thanks.

20. Joe D

Joe D Guest

CGR, I don't think the T.H.E. magwell is legal in ESP if it is the brass one. I would like a steel one to add a little weight to the bottom of the grip rather than an aluminum one.
    Comrade Bork, you hit the nail square on the head. That is the reason I want to shoot a Glock .45 in CDP. I guess I will purchase a G21 and shoot it as is. A G35 frame certainly feels small after shooting the G21.
    A 500 gr. bullet screaming along at 330 fps should do the trick.