close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JFF, Jan 30, 2004.

1. JFF

JFF

Hello all,

I have a relatively new G36 with a few hundred rounds sent down range with it, but no "Sub Club" number.

Am I allowed to hang out with you guys? Or, is there some sort of initiation ritual I need to go through? You know, ***** my finger and pledge allegiance to the group, or burn some sort of effigy and recite the "Grand Poobah" oath? <smile>

Geez.......

2. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

You have to buy a box of whatever ammo every other Sub Club member requests. Then we'll think about it.

Or you could just PM duckfsu and ask nicely...

3. Rich

Rich

I own a G36 and love it. I know you will too.

Good luck!
    Rich:)

4. JFF

JFF

Well, I'm going to try and reply here again. For some reason I have not been able to reply to my own post. It's probably due to something with the way my browser is set up.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

I've tried various loads throught it and have more difficulties than I expected....

More to come if this post is successful <smile>

Jay

5. JFF

JFF

Cool...it worked!

First off, Harlequin, you must be living in another world. I can't afford ammo for myself, let alone "a few" other Glockers. <smile>

My G36 rig consists of Trijicon night sights which I love, but are way too expensive, and Pearce +1 mag extensions (with stronger mag springs). The bean shooter is for CCW, so therefore, I did not want to add extended mag release or extended slide lock to get hung up in my clothing. Oh yeah, I replaced the plastic guide rod with a steel one (would have liked tungsten to hold the front end down a little, but could not find one).

I had my eye on the G33...if anything the ammo would have been cheaper, but the dang thing felt like a tea cup between my thumb and middle finger...

I love my G36, even though I've had some feed problems, and stove pipes. In all honesty, I believe a lot of it may be due to limp wristing. For instance, I'll have spent casings coming directly back at my face...this seems starnge. They'll bounce off my glasses, and have gone over my head and down the back of my shirt. ****at'll get you dancing>.

In all honesty, I've mage a lot of changes to the gun, and have ran numerous brands of ammo through it...I believe I have too many variables going on...I need to get a stable load, then change one thing at a time...

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong...admitting to making too many changes too fast. This is the first auto I've owned, my other handgun is a Ruger GP100...a definite workhorse, but a little too heavy for concealed cary.

Thks....Jay

6. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

The stovepipes and rounds hitting you in the head are both problems with technique. If this is your first auto that is understandable. After all, with a wheelgun you don't have to worry about either.

Practice makes perfect, but training works faster. If you can find someone to watch you with a few mags they might be able to correct you and then you'll be peachy!

7. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

8. Rich

Rich

Hey Jay -

I had the same problems in the beginning - I started the same way, too. Trijicon sites but no grip extenders, etc. I'm a firm believer in leaving the gun as intact as possible in the inside.

Anyway;f , I had some jams and some stove-pipes. I started and stayed with one kind of ammo - Winchester White box - it's the cheapest stuff around me and I like consistency in case of error.

In the case of stove-pipes and jams, I narrowed down the problem to one factory magazine - I have a total of 4 several of which I purchased on eBay ;g . (Nope, it wasn't one of those). I ran 3000 rounds of .45acp hardball through it and the stove pipes and jams got less and less - I marked the magazine that was giving me problems and only use it at the range.

Hope this long-winded answer helps in some small way.
    Best,
    Rich

9. JFF

JFF

Excellent info fellas…

Harlequin: Shooting my 357 mag revolver is definitely different than the slimline 45 auto, I guess I was a little naïve. Also, I’m a firm believer in training. If I can’t work through this, I’ll take a private lesson.

Fabricator: I’m hoping practice and experience will solve the problem. One downside of the slimline is that ALL of the recoil is focused in the web of your hand; whereas, my revolver has the recoil spread throughout my entire palm. After a few mags, my shooting hand is a little “sensitive” to say the least. It’s definitely not meant to be a range gun for an afternoon enjoyment session.

Rich: I bought a 100 value pack of 230 gr. FMJ from Walmart a few days ago…going to do just as you suggested. Mark my mags to narrow that variable down, stick with the hardball (cheap and should load easily) and see what happens.

We’ll see what happens….I’m hoping I can get this resolved. I really like the size, caliber, feel, weight, accuracy, price of the gun….but if I can’t rely on it if a BG threatens my family, I may need to rethink things. I’m definitely not giving up. I realize that shooting (especially autos) takes practice.

Note: My double taps have about 2-3 seconds between them…a good thing my first shot puts a hole where it’s intended…..real life isn’t like the range though.

Thanks much…I’ll get back and let you know how things are going.

Jay

10. JFF

JFF

Well, the results are in….I was previously doing everything wrong.

I did a Google search on <glock, wrist, grip>…started digging around, and ended up reading a few articles from this fellow named Massad Ayoob. Turns out he’s a pistol guru, and has written some good articles on technique, grip, stance, etc.

-I was holding the 36 incorrectly with my weak hand
    -I was applying pressure with the wrong fingers of my strong hand
    -I was applying the wrong amount of pressure, in the wrong places with both hands
    -I wasn’t shooting with “authority”
    -My shooting arm was locked instead of slightly bent

Ayoob suggests using a “crush grip” where you literally squeeze the pistol as hard as you can until you start to tremble, and then back-off until the trembling stops. Combining this, along with 60% of the squeeze coming from my “properly placed” weak hand, and 40% coming from my strong hand made a BIG difference. Not only was the muzzle flip more controlled, but I was able to shoot far more rounds because the recoil wasn’t pounding the web of my strong hand. Bending my arms a little allowed for some shock absorption…rather than having my arm pivot at the shoulder when the round left the gun.

Bottom line: I went through the entire Value Pack with one stove-pipe, in one session, and that was toward the end of the pack when I was getting a little tired. Previously, I wouldn’t have been able to even shoot 100 rounds in one session. I’m pretty excited, I feel like I’m on the “road to salvation”. <smile> I was pretty naïve to think that I could go out and shoot the thing w/o having any technique.

Thanks to all for sharing their experience. I still need to practice quite a bit to break old habits, the new grip does not come instinctively…I have to consciously think about it.

Take care….Jay

11. gldadis

gldadis

I too experienced failure to extract occasionally with 230 gr. ball in my Glock 36. Nothing I have done completely eliminates the syndrome, but lighter bullets fare well, especially the 165 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok.

The 36 is a super package with a wonderful feel. Just remember that it, like most, has loads that it likes, and loads that it doesn't.

The Don Hume JIT Slide holster for the 36 is excellent, perfectly fitting and snug to the side. Highly recommended!

Bravo Glock, and Don Hume!

12. gldadis

gldadis

Update: Took my 36 back to the shop, they sent it back to Smyrna, and it was back in a couple of weeks with a new extractor, and with much improved handling of all ammo. Have never ever had any kind of problem with Federal 165 or 230 gr., or with CCI Blazer target rounds, or with Speer 230 gr. GD or with Remington GS 230 gr. WWB and UMC will stick maybe 1 out of a hundred rounds, but I think that's more pointing toward my grip and technique than anything else. I have a very occasional similar issue with WWB in my XD 9mm with about the same frequency - probably my poor technique.

The 36 is an amazing package, that's for sure.

13. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

JFF,

I am glad that you found the Ayoob articles and that you recognized for yourself that the problems that you were experiencing were caused by your grip technique and strength. It sounds like you're on the way to salvation. I recently reacquired a G36 in trade and I was once a again reminded of what a fool I was to have traded my first one off, even if the trade was in my favor.

The G36 is a heck of choice for your first semi-automatic! It's a great gun but it's a handful and of all of my pistols it is probably the one that is most recoil sensitive. In the past year, two friends of mine, a couple, bought a G36 on my recommendation. I was with them on their second or third outing with the pistol when they were still breaking it in. They weren't impressed with the G36's reliability. They experienced stovepipes, FTE, etc. Finally I picked up the guns (that already had 100 rds fired through it that session) and fired off 50 rds through them with out a hitch. That convinced them that the problems were with the operators, not the firearm.

I'll give you the same recommendation that I gave them, and it will greatly speed up your learning curve with your G36: Exercise your fingers, wrists and forearms . About two years ago I went to Galyans and bought an assortment of hand and grip exercise balls and stashed them around the house and office and in the car. Now when I am reading web boards, or watching TV or sitting in traffic, I can do wrist exercises. I also added forearm exercises with dumbells into my meager workout routine. This has radically improved my shooting with all of my guns (especially the P3AT). And ask any cardiologist or physical therapist and they will tell you, hand and wrist and forearm exercises are big heart medicine and are good for your health, both mental and physical.

And I love those Trijicons too. However, when I just recently reacquired my G36, it came with a pair of Heine Straight Eight Night Sights. These are the best sights that I have ever seen on a pistol and I just ordered two pair (@$100 each!) for my othe Glocks.

Ya gotta love the G36! I should have my Pocket Glock page up in a week or two - it will prove once and for all that you CAN carry a G36 in your pocket. Shoot well.

14. JFF

JFF

Dang....wrong thread...

15. rarmijo

rarmijo

I look forward to seeing your Glock Pocket page.

16. Rex G

Rex G

One thing you might want to try: put the stock recoil spring assembly back into the pistol, and then see if it works 100%. I purchased a pre-owned G29, which was found to have feeding problems. It came with an aftermarket metal guide rod when I bought it. I bought a couple of factory recoil springs assemblies, and now it runs completely reliably. The aftermarket stuff went into the garbage.

17. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

At least you don't have to pick your brass out of the dirt. Consider yourself lucky!