close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by churchy501, Jul 8, 2003.

1. churchy501

churchy501

I am considering purchasing a Glock 36. I am sure lots of you people out there have one. In your opinion is it a good off-duty weapon and how does it handle in general. Any comments would help please.

Thanks

2. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

its great, I shoot 230grHS and I've tried alot of other ammo and never had a jam

3. RKC2000

RKC2000 OFOPOS

I've had mine for about 4 weeks. Shot about 500 rounds through it. Carry with Ranger +P's. I wouldn't consider anything else for a conceal carry.

4. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

G36 is a great gun. Fun to shoot and easy to shoot for a small .45 Is it a good off-duty weapon? Well whats your on-duty weapon? If its a G21 then I'd say no, get a G30. But if just lookin for a .45, go for it. Its not a bad gun at all. Best of luck. ;I

5. gunsite

gunsite CLM

niiiiice....shot about 100 rounds, nice grip, IWB no problem or on the hip, nothing like straping on a G36 in the morning..lol

6. Stangal8r

Stangal8r

I've shot a couple thousand rounds through mine. Its reliable, and it shoots well. I recommend it.

7. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

I've owned a 36 and sold it. I now carry a 26 and love it. The problem with the 36, besides low capacity and increased recoil is something most people don't like the to talk about. The .45acp cartridge was designed for 5" barrels, most pistols in that caliber made today are shorties, like the Glock 36.

If you are not very careful in your ammuntion selection you are not really getting the legendary .45acp stopping power that you think you are. Of the major pistol calibers out there today, the .45acp suffers the most from shortened barrel length. If I just had to have a shortie .45acp, I'd take a look at the new Cor-bon PowRball.

8. docglock

docglock Member

Agree with Predatory. For any given brand I chrono'ed the velocity loss at 50-60 fps between the 5" (G21)and the shorter (G30, G36) barrels. If you believe some authorities that say that expansion is as much related to velocity as bullet design, you may not get what you expect from the short .45 barrels. I eventually replaced my Glock 36 with a Glock 23 (40S&W) for the following reasons: very snappy recoil (I could handle it but it wasn't fun); it had a tendency to shoot brass towards my forehead and flig it unpredictably in various directions (not good for making friends on the range); it had some feeding problems; and when I finally thought I had the right cartridge (Pow'rball 165 for its rocket-like velocities) to make up for the short barrel, it wouldn't reliably feed it. I used to have to hold it in a vise-like grip compared to my other guns. I must admit that I didn't try upgrading the recoil spring and rod which probably would have helped with recoil and feeding, but I was leaning towards selling it anyway. The G36 did conceal quite well in a Desantis IWB holster. I am a big Glock fan (currently own G30 and G23), but the G36 just didn't cut it for me. It really hurts to sell any gun, but I was comfortable about trading the G36. If you are contemplating a G36, I suggest you shoot one first (at least 100 rounds) to see if it is to your liking. Incidentally, the G30 with the same short barrel as the G36 does reliably feed Pow'rball with the factory standard springs. You might consider a G30 if you are leaning towards a .45 you can conceal.

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

agreed that ammo selection makes the difference in maintaining bullet performance.

i have a g36,will try it out next weekend to see how it does.

recoil, not an issue for me. i used to have a charter arms bulldog .44spl. at 16 ounces, that was a beast to hold onto.

sold it, wish i had another though.

if you can, take the advise of firing one before you buy one. its not for everybody.

10. churchy501

churchy501

Thanks for all the advice people. I appreciate you all taking the time to fill me in...For all other fellow Law Enforcement people out there "be safe" and for all you other Glock fans take care and shoot straight....

11. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

faster lighter bullets are affected more than heavy slow ones, you guys have it backwards

12. Galiphile

Galiphile

As far as a concealed carry it is the most comfortable Glock I own (19,27,36). I have often thought about picking up a second one for a BUG. It also fits really well in a standard unkle mikes consealed holster if you need a holster cheep. And the low profile is great. Considering it has more rounds than a revolver it is still a great gun.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

im looking for a spare magazine and a good leather IWB with belt loops. anyone got one for sale?

14. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

My G36 had major reliability and accuracy issues that weren't resolved until I added a Jarvis barrel. If I had it to do over again I would just pass on it and stick with my H&K USP or Colt 1911.

Regards,
    Happyguy;f

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i posted in the big dogs club..... i shot my g36 at the n.r.a. range saturday, 200 rounds fmj and h.p. no malfunctions, accurate, and a little beast til you get a few rounds through her to get used to it.

it will soon be my summer carry gun.

16. neeko

neeko

The Glock's unique rifling give it a slight boost, the G36's barrel length approximates a 5 inch barrel.

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

ordered a milt sparks versa max II for my 36. similar to my watch six for my 30 except it has a re-enforced mouth. like my wife!!! LOL.

when it gets here i'll let you know how it fits, and carries.

by the way, a milt sparks watch six is the most comfortable IWB ive ever owned.

18. Lou Abbott

Lou Abbott

:( Shot my new 36 today. Only 50 rounds of WW 230 FMJ, but the first round in every mag failed to extract. The brass stayed in the barrel and the slide stayed open about 1/2 way. Rest of the shots were OK. Limp wrist? Suggestions appreciated.
    Lou

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

possibly limp wrist. alot of folks relax a bit too much to avoid the choking the gun to death grip. you have to find that happy medium....firm and controlled.....

now, it was only 50 rounds......i would not worry at all unless it was happening after 200 rounds.

clean it, lube it, fire a few hundred rounds. i think you'll find it smooths right up.

if not, then you have a lemon that requires adjustment. thats unsat for a $500.00 gun in my opinion.

20. Lou Abbott

Lou Abbott

;P
    Cowboy,
    Thanks, I will keep at it for now. What exactally do you mean by "lube"? The manual shows some places to lube, other folks on the site say minimum, so did the dealer I bought it from. My question is-where, what kind, and how much works for you.
    Lou