Glock 36 with Ghost Ring Sight - Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BubbaBlades, Mar 14, 2010.

1. BubbaBlades

BubbaBlades

[​IMG]
    My Glock 36 is my favorite concealed carry .45. It earned my trust by having zero malfunctions in more than a thousand rounds fired. It is also my only Glock without the original factory sights. I installed a set of ghost ring night sights on the gun after verifying that the height of the front sight and (center of circle) rear sight were matched for accuracy. I knew that the sights allowed a quick sight picture but I was surprised at the accuracy that could be obtained from them.
    Mark

2. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Nice shooting!! Were the front and rear sights a matched set? What brand? Thanks

Zeke

3. BubbaBlades

BubbaBlades

Zeke
    The front and rear sights are a matched set. I can't read anything on the rear sight, however, the front sight is marked "AmeriGlo" and what appears to be "Trilux."
    Mark

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

Was this done with the use of a rest?

5. BubbaBlades

BubbaBlades

bent biker
    No rest was used. This target was shot standing with a two hand hold. For more details concerning my shooting please look at the General Glocking thread "Let's see your Target" page 8. That thread is dated 3-7-10 and is on page 11 (could be page 12 by now) of General Glocking.
    Mark

6. j-glock22

j-glock22

Well done, you found a good set of sights that makes your 36 sing.

7. martyk

martyk

- Did you find that the sights DID make it quicker to get the shots off ? - and are the sights perhaps 'ARO-TEK' Ghost-Ring sights from 'BROWNELLS' ? .. I love a ghost-ring on a rifle & have often wondered if one might work OK on a pistol. Cheers martyk (in New Zealand)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  8. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Can we see a picture of the rear of the 36 and what your 'sight picture' would be?

9. BubbaBlades

BubbaBlades

[​IMG]
    Sights are very quick on target, especially the case if you have trigger time on an iron sighted M16/AR15. AmeriGlo has a web site and their ghost ring looks the same as mine. Precision (elevation) accuracy is obtained by aligning the shoulders on either side of the ghost ring with the top of the front sight.
    Mark

10. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

So are we assuming these are both ameriglo front and rears? BTW, thanks for that pic!!

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Ah, now I miss the ones I left on my G32 when I sold it. They are very fast for combat accuracy and as you can see in the OP they're quite capable of slow fire accuracy too.

12. martyk

martyk

Thanks BubbaBlades, I' ll be following that up and buying a set I think ,Cheers martyk

13. Jim S.

Jim S.

Damn good shooting for fifty feet and no rest. I don't think I could do that at half the distance with my 36.

14. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

The use of ghost rings on handguns is fundamentally flawed.

On a long gun, the rear sight is very close to the eye. Because of the optics involved, as you look through the peep sight the "ring" effectively disappears. All you do is put the front sight on the intended point of impact and press the trigger. It is both fast and very accurate.

On a handgun, the gun is held at arms length. There is no way for the rear sight to "disappear".

Further, "accuracy" in a defensive handgun like the G-36 is about the 3rd or 4th most desirable characteristics. After reliability, stopping power, and ease of transport/use.

Instead of a tight shot group, I would be much more interested in a comparative study of how fast the gun could be drawn, fired, and hit an 8" circle at short, medium, and long distances. Comparing "ghost" rings versus more conventional "patridge" styles.

:faint:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  15. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

It was only a matter of time before someone stated the obvious about how a ghost ring on a rifle is not the same as a "ghost ring" on a pistol.

As the original poster demonstrated, accuracy can be quite good.

As I posted, they're quite fast despite the huge "fundamental flaw" that the rear sight doesn't disappear. (it doesn't disappear on any of my rifles' peep sights either..)

They're just another type of handgun sight that happens to allow a lot of light in around the front sight. If a wide rear notch works well for people, this is not much different. You just have be capable of not getting hung up on comparing it to an AR-15. Nobody's suggesting that they're the same.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I have always been told that the Ghost Ring sights on a handgun are for speed, and that accuracy will suffer. It is nice to see that good accuracy is also possible. I would think that they would be fast on target.

Some people cut the top off of the rear Ghost Ring sight, to create a half moon type of sight. They say that this really increases speed with no affect on accuracy.