Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a Glock in .45 acp caliber.

Was looking hard at the G36, but thought I'd get input from members here. So tell me the pro's & con's of the G36 in your opinion........

I already have Glock in 9, 40 & 10.
I'm specifically looking for a Glock in .45ACP.
The G21 is nice but it is SO big and it'd be nice to be able to carry concealed a .45ACP sometimes .

Look forward to your replies!!

·
Banned
84 Posts
A G36 shines in concealability. Compact, light and slim. Quite noticable difference over a G30S, but I swapped my G36 for my G30S to get one...and only one...advantage: Round count. I had to slim down my Glock collection to one, and it has to do everything I need.

But when I really need my gun well hidden and comfortable (weight), I sorely miss my G36.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,342 Posts
I'm wanting to get a Glock in .45 acp caliber.

Was looking hard at the G36, but thought I'd get input from members here. So tell me the pro's & con's of the G36 in your opinion........

I already have Glock in 9, 40 & 10.
I'm specifically looking for a Glock in .45ACP.
The G21 is nice but it is SO big and it'd be nice to be able to carry concealed a .45ACP sometimes .

Look forward to your replies!!
You'll likely get a few replies on this. The G36 is probably the most controversial Glock made. For some it's a great gun. For others, it's the bane of their existence: a jam-o-matic that's better served as a paperweight.
Put me in the former camp. I have one from its first year of production and it's operated flawlessly for thousands of rounds. It's thin, handles the recoil in a reasonable manner (although it does have a bit of a bark when you pull the trigger), conceals beautifully and is tough as nails.
FWIW, I think there are two things which help insure its reliability:
1) It doesn't like wimp loads. Factory hardball or hollowpoints or their reloaded equivalents only, or you're asking for trouble. As in jams.
2) A good grip is essential. I use the old "push/pull" method when I shoot any handgun and it provides a nice firm platform. I push the gun forward into my support hand and pull back with the support hand. I have no problems with my G36 whatsoever but have told the tale here about how I've handed it to a less experienced shooter only to see them get a jam on the first shot. I can only surmise it is grip-related.
Somebody once said the G36 is a "pro's gun". I don't consider myself a "pro" but I'm a very experienced shooter. (By the way, I'm not implying that all who've had issues with their 36's were inexperienced or poor shooters.)
It's been my EDC for years, only recently relegated to slightly less carry due to the purchase of a Shield 9mm, which is thinner still, recoils less and holds one or two more rounds of ammo. But I still carry it regularly and every time I consider trading it for something else, I stop myself. I can't get rid of something that's just been so doggone good.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
The only two drawbacks I perceive with my 36 are more recoil than I care for while using +P rounds and it does not feed truncated cone shaped JHPs reliably. The solution is to use standard pressure loads with a round profile, problems solved. It is a nice, slim, light gun.

·
M62/76
13,151 Posts
Well said Lockback- I had a G-36 a few years ago and ended up getting rid of it. I agree, it concealed well and I shot it ok but it wasn't exactly "fun" to shoot (not that that's necessary for a CCW) and I didn't like the capacity. It ran fine and I never had any problems with it, just wasn't for me. At the same time though, I've carried a S&W Airweight off and in for years and haven't minded the recoil or capacity (guess it's a auto vs revolver mindset and I have different expectations)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My neighbor who goes shooting with us has the G 30, man I love shooting it but of course the 19 has my heart.

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,752 Posts
Put me in the camp that found the 36 to be a jam o matic. At the time I owned it I reloaded 45 for range and used SWC bullets. Turns out Glock 45's have a hard time feeding SWC rounds. Once that was confirmed it was bye bye to the 21, 30 and 36.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have the G36 as well as G30S. I carry the G30S daily. The G36 is thinner, but I can hide the 30S just as easily and it has a few more rounds. You can't go wrong with either. Just depends on which feels best in your hands. ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I remember people begging for a single stack 45, when Glock produced it their was little interest and every body complained about capacity and recoil. How many rounds do you think you can cram in a single stack and a 45 compact is going to kick. I think this experience may have been why it took so long for Glock to come out with the 43. I think what the average civilian Glock shooter wants is a single stack that can hold as many rounds as a double, weight 9 oz, 2oz trigger pull and kick like a 22 rimfire.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The only two drawbacks I perceive with my 36 are more recoil than I care for while using +P rounds and it does not feed truncated cone shaped JHPs reliably. The solution is to use standard pressure loads with a round profile, problems solved. It is a nice, slim, light gun.
This is true regarding 185 gr. Hollow points. Some work very well some not at all. Test them well. I use Cor-Bon DPX for my carry round, and have quite a few rounds of them through it with no problems. My G36 replaced a 5 shot revolver so capacity was a step up. I like mine a lot and it is my only carry gun now.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
The G36 is the finest SD/CCW GLOCK produces, Period.

Light, slim, precise, and flawless in operation .45ACP.

Comes w/ light and thin quick-change magazines, too, if 6+1 doesn't quite float yer boat.

1. Swap in a GLOCK OEM "-" Connector.
2. Rhinoplasty.

Perfect.

G36/230 gr. ball/ Ten Yard/ Five Shot/
Five Second/ One Handed:

Nutter

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've owned two G36s in the past and the only reason I don't have one now is I've developed arthritis in both hands. The hump on the back of that thin grip really digs into my palm and becomes painful before I've fired enough ammo for a good practice session. If Glock would bring out an SF framed 36 or a 4th Gen I would own one again.

Dave

·
I'm not retired
7,873 Posts
I love everything about the G36. We have two of them and my son picks his up any day, now. For what it is/is designed for, I can't find any fault with it. It's actually more fun to shoot than when I first got them. I did have to do the 25 cent to get the trigger nice and smooth. Prolly my only con if I had to be critical. I highly recommend it if you're not recoil sensitive and you want a lightweight, easy to conceal .45 acp.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the 30S and love the gun for OWB carry. IWB carry wasn't so great. So, when a brand new/complete lower for a 36 came up for $165 with mags, I scooped it up to convert to single stack for IWB carry only.

I've done some testing with the gun configured in 36/single stack mode and found it to be reliable and accurate as is the standard 30S (with the exception of cheap aluminum case range ammo).

I'm not really recoil sensitive for the amount of rounds I fire at any range session usually 50-100 rounds of .45. For SD ammo, the HST 230 grain in +P and standard pressure is very accurate/reliable.

I hate the oem mag bases on both G30/36 variants of Glocks, so I use the Pearce mag base plates, as this replicates the three finger grip feel of the G19 model. As with all Glocks, I run the oem "minus" trigger connector and Talon grips, so the 36 lower matches all my other pistols. I also put in an extended mag catch for faster mag changes/reloads (critical with 6+1 capacity).

I have several of the High Noon leather IWB holsters but have opted for the Cooks Kydex IWB holster/mag pouch for the 36. Primarily due to re-holstering issues. Even reinforced mouth leather holsters IWB do not offer true one handed re-holstering like kydex. I'll post pics/review of the 36 in this holster soon.

The thin grip of the 36 frame feels really nice in hand compared to the SF frame of the 30S and I'm hoping the thin slide/frame and the "minus" connector combined with the new holster/spare mag pouch turns out to be IWB carry bliss in this serious/big bore caliber.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I own 2 of the G36 model and they both work for me. I use factory ammo, thumbs fwd grip and don't limp wrist.

The 36 is a gun that works for me because it carries nicely, reliable and accurate. Capacity? Well, if it means that I'll carry a more comfortable gun instead of leaving a higher capacity gun at home because it's not as comfortable.... Then the capacity issue is no longer an issue.

Get what feels good in your hand and if you can shoot the G30s and G36 it would give you a better idea. I had the G30 (not the G30s) and it absorbed recoil much better, downside of the G30 was how it carried for me (felt like a brick on my hip). I haven't any experience with the G30s, but I suspect it would carry a bit better than the G30.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts