close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36 vs HK USPc .45

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Karnivore, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Karnivore

Karnivore

I got the urge for an HK a few months ago and picked up a full size USP .45. One USP led to two and two led to a USP .45 compact.
    Nice pistol, I love the precision of it, but am not too happy about the shooting charcteristics.

I took it and my OD G36 out for a session and found that while the G36 is smaller and lighter, it is also more controllable in aimed, rapid fire. The HK seems to have more muzzle flip while the G36 can stay on target.

I bought the HK for concealed carry but I now have doubts. I want the capability to draw and unload lots of lead accurately.

I really like to shoot the full size USP, it is beefy enough to tame .45 recoil and is more accurate than I am. I also picked up a .40 USP custom combat in OD frame. It too is a sweet shooter.

I do wish Glock would come out with a G36 with a longer grip equaling another 2 rounds. (I do not like the +1 extensions)

Has anyone else found this muzzle flip issue with HK's to be true? Any thoughts?

Thanks, K

2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

My thoughts are that I really enjoy shooting my G36 (both of them!) with or without the Pearce +0 extensions. I'll never part with them.

3. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

The bore is higher on the HK than the Glock so more muzzle flip is to be expected. Have you shot the HK as much as the Glock? It could be if you shot the HK more you would start to shoot it better.

4. GlocK_W0rK

GlocK_W0rK

I personally think the HK is the nicer pistol. It does have a higher bore axis, but this would be irrelevant in a self-defense scenario. Carry whichever one you're more familiar/comfortable with.

5. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Muzzle "flip" on the USP has nothing to do with high-bore axis and everything to do with the way the recoil buffer behaves.

It dissipates recoil over a longer time period which makes the pistol more comfortable to shoot, but also makes the muzzle slightly more jumpy. However, this does not prevent proper sight tracking, and can be gotten used to with regular practice.

A skilled shooter can unload plenty of lead in a timely and accurate fashion. The pistol is fully capable of this. The muzzle flip only becomes an issue if you are gun gaming with the pistol and need to squeeze every last millisecond you can out of a run. Still never heard of anyone standing by with a stopwatch in a real gunfight though. :whistling:

Another strong benefit is that the buffer spring helps alleviate battering of the frame, especially in high round count pistols. This is another reason why the USP has a ridiculously long service life (far beyond the 20,000 rounds HK suggests), and it is not uncommon to see pistols that have fired literally tens, or in some cases hundreds, of thousands of rounds through them.

6. PAGunner

PAGunner

I don't think my USPc .45 has anymore kick to it than my Gen3 Glock 19. USPc .45 is an amazing firearm, only 2 complaints about mine are I need night sites (I like Glock's stock sights better than HKs, go figure) and I wanna convert to light LEM/hybrid trigger, I don't like the DA pull in the variant one, but love the LEM system, makes it much more Glock like; probably a better trigger than Glock.