Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any gun I CCW is fun for me shoot at the range as well; i don't want it any other way and just buy a gun to carry but one too unpleasant - due to weight, size, whatever, - to also enjoy at the range. I also think for a carry-gun you should WANT to shoot it, otherwise after awhile you don't.

I'm thinking of the 36, which obviously would be a good CCW, but - far as recoil - is it also enjoyable at the range - not a huge number of rounds but say 50?

As another choice, the 21sf would be it, I've carried full-size Glock 45s before (the GAP), and it's OK for me for as a sometimes-carry, and I assume the 21 would be a nice range gun as well.

Experiences or thoughts much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any gun I CCW is fun for me shoot at the range as well; i don't want it any other way and just buy a gun to carry but one too unpleasant - due to weight, size, whatever, - to also enjoy at the range. I also think for a carry-gun you should WANT to shoot it, otherwise after awhile you don't.

I'm thinking of the 36, which obviously would be a good CCW, but - far as recoil - is it also enjoyable at the range - not a huge number of rounds but say 50?

As another choice, the 21sf would be it, I've carried full-size Glock 45s before (the GAP), and it's OK for me for as a sometimes-carry, and I assume the 21 would be a nice range gun as well.

Experiences or thoughts much appreciated, thanks.
I'de say if you are going to CC the firearm as well go with the 36! Its a blast to shoot at the range, Ive shot over 200 rounds in one range trip without feeling tired. I actually enjoying shooting it more then the 23. Now as far as CC goes, its really the Glock model that I find myself grabbing when Im heading out. No matter what the dress is, its a slim, lightweight firearm that has great accuracy along with proven stopping power.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I usually would shoot 100-150 rounds a week at the range through my 36. When ammo started getting hard to find I cut it down to 30-50 rounds. Starting to reload so I'll be stepping that up again.
Pleasant gun to shoot and a great carry pistol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The G36 with Pearse +0 if you have medium size hands or the Pearse +1 with a wolfe +10% mag spring if you have large hands.

I also replaced the stock recoil spring with a Wolfe spring and steel guide rod. The result is a scary accurate fun to shoot carry/range gun.

·
Registered
627 Posts
On my first day shooting my new G36, I put 400 rounds of 230gr standard pressure ammo through it.

It was a pleasure to shoot. I experienced a bit of slap from the trigger guard on my second finger in the first 50 rounds until I adjusted my grip. Tightening my second finger and loosening my 3rd and fourth slightly, a "top heavy" grip, solved the issue.

Accuracy is very good, and in over 5k rounds I've not had a single failure. I shoot 230gr exclusively. It is a favorite range gun as well as my EDC.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
i found it to be a little unaccurate! Only 30 through mine though!
It's not the gun. It's you. Put several hundred through it at one time and you will find out what grip works best for shooting the 36. Also take the time to find the ammo that shoots best out of it also.
I don't think of my 36 as a target shooter. I think of it as a close range combat gun. I shoot it a lot, but I'm not looking for a tack driver in a small handgun. It is what it is. Fun to shoot, for a combat weapon. There are much better target guns, but are not such good combat guns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It took me about 500 rounds worth of shooting to learn the best way for me to hold my G36. After i figured that out my shooting greatly improved with it. Took me about 1200-1500 rounds to have a problem. A fte, cleared it & no problems since. Before going to range i load my 4 mags so i shoot between 124-224 rounds each Range trip. Since .45acp getting harder to find its getting longer between range trips though

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not the gun. It's you. Put several hundred through it at one time and you will find out what grip works best for shooting the 36. Also take the time to find the ammo that shoots best out of it also.
I don't think of my 36 as a target shooter. I think of it as a close range combat gun. I shoot it a lot, but I'm not looking for a tack driver in a small handgun. It is what it is. Fun to shoot, for a combat weapon. There are much better target guns, but are not such good combat guns.
What ammo have you found that works best for your 36? I was using WWB that was extremely accurate out of my 30sf, but I'm always open for suggestions.

·
I. B. Glockin'...again. :^)
1,735 Posts
The G-36 is my daily carry. When it is under my arm I have a double mag pouch on the weak side of the rig. When it is on my hip I have a Fobus paddle double mag pouch on the weak side. The round count is not a problem for me. 19 rounds should be enough to attain resolution of the conflict one way or the other. The 36 is not to heavy, not too wide. Conceals well in shoulder, IWB, or OWB rig. I find it a tad heavy for the ankle though....

I have no proble with the recoil and can't keep my hands off it at the range. You should practice regularly with what ever you carry. you should know your carry weapon upside down, backwards and forwards. You should be proficient and totally aware of it's limitation as well as your own. The very best way to get there is practicepracticepractice. If you have to stop and try to figure out to shoot it in a SHTF situation you are a gonner

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Glock Model 36 is a great pistol - often my carry pistol. I have two - one remains as my house gun in my home office. I only wish the Model 36 was available when I was a working federal special agent before I retired! Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
What ammo have you found that works best for your 36? I was using WWB that was extremely accurate out of my 30sf, but I'm always open for suggestions.
I tried at least 7 or 8 name brand self defense rounds during my range visits.
Each time I would keep notes on my targets and do a process of elimination.
My 36 shoots the Cor-Bon 185g DPX the closest to point of aim and the tightest groups. That is what I carry in my 36.
My 21 shoots the Gold Dot 230g +P's the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts