close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36 Slide locks up on 2nd round fired..........?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by smogonly, Aug 26, 2003.

1. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

This is a new one on me. I went out shooting today and had this problem:

After the second shot was fired the slide would lock open.
    I looked closely at it and there was no bullet jam. It was as if I locked the slide back with the slide lock. At first I thought I had such a high grip that my thumb was hitting it and inadvertantly pushing it up. I repositioned my grip and it would still happen about every 5th magazine. It was not the magazine though, it did it on at least two differant magazines that I know of. It had nothing to do with rapid fire either. I fired some one at a time. Always after the second shot fired from a full magazine.

The only modification I've done is replace the slide lock with the factory Glock extended lock. Could I have put it in wrong? Do I need to do some spring modifications? I haven't even field stripped it yet, I thought I'd post here first.

2. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Could I have put it in wrong?

Yep, the slide lock lever should snap down smartly when raised and released. Make sure the slide lock lever spring is under the locking block pin. The end of the spring should not be visable if you look down the muzzle end of the frame.

3. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

After posting, I field stripped and the spring was in fact in the wrong place.
    DOH
    I put it back in right and it works better, but still has a shockabsorber type action, it snaps back until the last little bit and lands softly against the frame. I think a little spring bending is in order here.

Also. I noticed the pin has two large groves and one small one out to the end. Which side if the gun does the small groove go on?

(I guess I should pay more attention when I disassemble something. Heck it's only a gun though....how complicated could it be?;g )

4. Gecko10

Gecko10

I put the extended slide stop on my G36 about 6-8 months ago. Experienced similar problems. Took it off, put stock one back on and problems went away. And yes, the spring was under the pin.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Sorry to inform you of this fact, but Glock does not make an extended slide stop lever that fits a G36. The G36 part is unique to the G36, being angled slightly different because of the thinner frame. Your problem is the extended slide stop lever that you installed.

6. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

hummm.....well maybe I'm mistaken on the manufacturer, but I thought it was factory. It has worked for a while until today. is it possible to put a non-46 stop in a 36? What I mean is will it physically go in there?

Now you have me concerned.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A non-G36 slide stop lever will physically fit but not function properly.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Yup, just because you have a GLOCK factory slide stop lever, don't mean you have the right GLOCK factory slide stop lever... there are more then just 2 variations of this stock part.

DannyR, has you on the right track... listen to him & all will be well again. ;)

9. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

I would think that the incorrect part would cause more failures than just on the second round in the magazine occationally. I'm going to clean it all up and give it another run at the range. After all, I did have the spring in the wrong spot.
    ;9

10. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

I had the spring above the locking pin too when I installed mine. It was a quick fix. I just wonder how yours got up there after functioning well for a while.

Oh well, nothing to hard to fix on a Glock.

11. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

I'm not sure I've shot it since I installed the lock, so this could be the first time. So many guns.....so little ammo.

12. Gecko10

Gecko10

DannyR:

Glockmeister sells an extended slide stop for the G36 and I guess what you're saying is that it is not made by Glock, but by someone else.

13. smogonly

smogonly Always learning

THAT'S IT!!! THAT'S WHERE I GOT IT!!!