close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36 Serial #s to Avoid?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fatboydj, Mar 9, 2004.

1. fatboydj

fatboydj

I found a used G36 that I want to give a try. I am wondering if there are any serial number prefixes to avoid because of reported problems.
    I remeber hearing something about prefixes in the E range if memory serves me correct.

Is $500 a good price for a LNIB G36 with nightsights, 3 mags with extensions, shoulder holster and kramer belt holster? The G36 supposedly only has 1 box fired through it and is in new appearing condition. Includes original base plates.

I have heard some people relate problems with the G36 but are these mostly because of poor wrist alignment or shooting technique?

I have fired one before and remember that they are snappy and pinched my fingers a bit. Otherwise, a nice concealable powerhouse.

Thanks

2. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Yes the "E" series were affected. I dont know what range of numbers or models of guns. The best 100% sure way to know is to give Glock a ring at 1-770-432-1202, ask for Paula in the warranty dept. She handles all the frames and such.;f

Take Care
    "duck"

3. vafish

vafish

You should be able to find a New G36 for about $500. I paid $465 for mine at a gun show. That's without night sights. You can buy night sights for anywhere from $65-$120 depending upon the brand. Night sights have alimited life span, usually somewhere around 10-12 years. So even if the gun has been fired very little you need to consider the age of the night sites.

I put the extensions on one of my mags and didn't like them. They only cost $8 each, and unless the guy replaced the mag springs you may have feeding problems with them.

I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters so I wouldn't add anything to the price for one of them. A Kramer is a good holster, but it would depend upon if it was a model I liked or not if I would add anything price wise.

I'm thinking values wise about $400 for the G36, maybe $50 for the night sites if only a couple years old, and $50 for the Kramer if you like it comes out to the $500 the guy is asking.

So I guess this is a long answer, but, yes that's a pretty decent price if you like the Kramer holster.

4. Cola di Rienza

Cola di Rienza Vordhosbn

The 36 is the red-headed stepchild of Glock, figuratively speaking. You'll hear all sorts of people bashing it even if they've never touched one. You'll hear them talk about mag capacity and how you should be carrying "X" gun instead. Personally, my 36 is in the D serial range and has been perfect. Not one malfunction or hangup of any kind.

As for malfunctions, any gun can have them for so many different reasons that it's hard to say what's true and what isn't. I think that a lot of people might be having malfunctions due to what you listed above. It is a very snappy little beast and I had to shoot more aggressively to become accurate with it. I was used to shooting full sized weapons mostly in 9mm or below and the way I shot those weapons did not work well for the 36.

$500 seems like a good deal for all the things you listed, too. ;f

5. BizzMan5

BizzMan5

My G36 is EZEXXX and I have about 300 rounds throughout without incident. What is supposed to be wrong with the "E" series?

6. vafish

vafish

Bizzman,

The 36's with the E serial range are possibly effected byt the frame problems that most of the other Glock models are aslo subject to. There's several threads around here about it.

Call Glock and ask them if your Frame is effected. I also have an EZE G36 and it was not on the list.

7. PROTEUS

PROTEUS Millennium Member

I have an EVRxxx G36, which was affected. Glock replaced the frame, and did so in a fast, friendly manner. Very well handled by Glock customer service.

Just my opinion, but the G36 is one of the best, if not the best compact .45.

8. Edmond

Edmond Terminator

I think $500 is a pretty good deal. If it indeed only has a hundred rounds through it, I would go for it. Not to mention that you would be paying tax on top of that if you bought new at the store, if you can get it for $500 new at the store. We have a 8.5% tax here in Illinois so that's significant to us, don't know about your tax. But there are no taxes on personal sales.

The night sites are at least $65 themselves. I'm not a fan of shoulder rigs myself but you could sell that and defray the costs, same for the extensions.

9. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

I'll tell you guys what, I am thankful for the "E" series recall. Here is why:

My G36 was within the recall number range but I was having zero problems. As a matter of fact the recall was just a recommendation and not a total recall. Well, I was changing out my slide lock lever spring one day and would you believe that little piece of metal broke off flushed in the female end of where it belong? I couldn't put the receiver back together since the new lever spring I got wouldn't fit in on account of the old piece of metal sticking in there. My gunsmith couldn't get it out, I couldn't, even some friends couldn't. That little ole broken piece of metal just would not come out. I then had this bright idea...I looked at the serial number of my perfectly functioning G36 and it was an "E" series. I called Glock and they told me they would send my FFL a new one since it was a "recall". Took 8 weeks but I got it complete with brand new guts. Saved abut $150 since I was lucky enough to have an "E" series gun and I didn't have to buy a new receiver.

Some times things do work out. Incidentally my slide rails on my "E" series were just fine.

;a

10. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"Glock 36 Serial #s to Avoid?"

All of them.

11. vafish

vafish

Walter,

When I saw you were the most recent poster I just knew that would be your response.