Glock 36 reliability?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by clarkstoncz, Aug 22, 2015.

1. thomasinaz

thomasinaz

Mine has been with me for about 1 1/2 years. Works fine, and I carry it in a Milt Sparks IWB, made for my old G33.

2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I've got a G36 that I carry from time to time. Have shot it a fair amount and it has never had a malfunction.

I buy standard velocity (not +P) 230 grain Federal HST for daily carry in a Desantis SOF tuck. I find the standard velocity stuff much easier to control in the smaller platform and nobody with a brain argues against the stopping power of a 850 FPS 230 grain .452 bullet!

Mark2Glock likes this.

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Unless you plan to reload, you might want to skip .45 GAP. I just wouldn't trust the supply chain. Or, you could stock up.

As to the G36, mine is about 2 years old. It doesn't work worth a crap and it never has. It will shoot only Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr JHP. Nothing else will extract. And, yes, I have tried the approach of changing out the parts to non-LCI with no improvement. I wouldn't know anything about any other G36s but you can find threads using the search feature. There have been complaints...

Rocky7 likes this.
  4. jem102

jem102

My G36 is 2 years old and never a problem.

5. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Have had my G36 for 15 years now and have yet to experience any sort of problem. Glad that the G43 has joined it in the slimline offerings. It has stayed solitary in the slimline column far too long.

6. truckcop

truckcop

Over the years the line on the 36 was one of two things: runs like a top; or, miserably unreliable. I had two early generation 36's. Neither one was reliable at first. Primarily failures to feed, some failures to extract. Tried the various fixes pontificated on here and other places and nothing seemed to work. Both went to the safe only to be brought out for the GSSF Major Sub class. Then a couple of years ago I stumbled onto a post somewhere that discussed magazine springs as a problem-solver. I got an extra-power three-pack from Wolff and lo and behold, the problems went away. Replaced all other mag springs but still kept the guns for GSSF. Sold one last year. The only other issue I've ever had was a trigger pin breaking on the one I had left. Until a couple of months ago. Doing some practice for an upcoming match I found the trigger pin walking out. Turns out it had broken another one. Stripped it down and in addition to the broken trigger pin, the locking block came out in two pieces and the locking block pin was bent!?! Ordered some replacement parts and when they came in, while installing them noticed a small through-and-through crack in the frame above the locking block pin hole on the right side. That gun was only shot in GSSF matches, maybe twice a year for 8 - 10 years. Standard ball ammo. Sent the frame off last week for them to take a look. Maybe they'll replace it. We'll see. I'll probably sell it if it comes back. I've been waiting for a 30S (raffle win) to come in for several months and will probably just use that one. I think I'm done with the 36. Everyone says the newer gens are better. Maybe so.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    tercel89 and chemboy like this.
  7. JRC332

JRC332

I've had a G36 that I purchased new in 2011. It has been 100% reliable with both FMJ and HP ammo.

8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

No issues with either of ours. It has a little too much punch for my wife to shoot, comfortably, so we got her a G38 to put time on. I use a leather IWB Pro Carry. She uses a Michael Kors purse.

9. GRR

GRR

The 36 I owned was completely reliable, but I hated it. Too big in profile for the limited number of rounds, lacking in magazine options ( the +1 extension was horrible). I'd much rather carry my 23 or 30s. Or my Kimber compact. All are just as concealable with more options. If I wanted a small 45, I'd look at the Springfield XDs or the Glock 39.

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

They were reliable 2 years ago, so I don't understand your question. Mine is 5 years old and is 100%.

11. butcher_block

butcher_block

got one yeas ago and had one FTF in the first 50 rounds and none in the following 4k including repacked GI ball ammo from 1944 WWB or even corbon shot glass sized HP rounds
    even used CCI snake/rat shot to off a few chipmonks and they worked just fine

12. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

13. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

Thanks for your replies concerning the G36.

I've thought on how I could trim the grip down a bit, but
    according to most guys,the gun is still the size of a Glock 19.

I was looking for a.45 CAP ammo online and came across some
    .45 GAP in my area.

My attention will now be focused on the Glock 39.

A bit wider than a G26, and the only downfall that I see that it has is
    the fact that .45 GAP isn't as common as .45 ACP ammo.

The concept of having a medium framed Glock with .45 caliber stopping power
    applies to both me and the G39. A Glock 19 or Glock 26 fit me perfectly...
    so a wider 26 sized gun will be cake.
    [​IMG]
    I'll probably be able to find a new (or used) one at a far cheaper price than a
    Glock 36 or the other .45 ACP Glocks.
    Also, I've never read about any reliability problems with the .45 GAP Glock pistols.

14. bunk22

bunk22

If a G39 works, wouldn't a G30S work just as well? Hard to find ammo, just as or more expensive would negate any price saved by going with a GAP. Just my .02, I'll never own a 45 GAP anyway.

15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I had one of the 2012 mfg'd guns and it was 100% in the 1k or so rounds that I put thru it. Sold it just because I didn't like the feel of capacity of the 36.

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I won't either. My SA M1911A1 .45 ACPs work fine.

17. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

The gap is 2 ounces heavier than the 30s you might pick one up and handle it, of course I now have (2) because of that impulse.

P.s looked at the 39, looked at the 30s, too many good reasons for the 30s, whatever you do good luck.

18. HGxyz

HGxyz

Actually, only the G39 slide is wider than the G26 slide - the maximum width is in the frame and the same for both. If Glock ever come out with a gen4 G39, I might buy it.

19. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

The G30, G30S, and G30SF are too big(wide for my hands.
    A G36 is pretty chunky feeling as well.

I'll try the Glock 39 and see how it goes.

They are also a bit cheaper than a Glock .45 ACP pistol.

20. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Good Luck.