Glock 36 reliability?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by clarkstoncz, Aug 22, 2015.

1. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

I'm wondering if the new Glock 36 pistols sold these days are more reliable than say 2 years ago?

What holsters are you using?

I'd still like to explore the Glock 39 in .45 GAP. but my wife told me if I buy another
    gun, I'd better be able to find ammo for it.

She hinted that buying .45 ACP for me every pay-day wasn't a problem.

I usually look at what's on sale at a local store when we go into town then,
    and she tells me to add a box or 2 to her cart.

I've never seen any .45 GAP at this store or even @Wal-Mart.

Being limited to 5-6 shots of .45 GAP or .45 ACP isn't a huge issue
    for me.

The new XDS-45, and G43 are only 5+1 or 6+1 on some days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My RAMI 9mm has carried 9 rounds of 9mm+P for almost
    13 years.

[​IMG]

2. glide

glide Just sayin'

I peruse this and other firearms forums and I've not seen anyone really posting any reliability issues with the Glock 36. I'm sure a few Glock 36 will post to mention their personal experiences.

3. tenntornado

tenntornado

My late model G36 has been reliable.

4. smokey45

smokey45

I've owned a 36 for about 10yrs, haven't had any malfunctions with ball, HP, or LSWC ammo.
    s45

5. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I purchased one last year specifically for sub major in GSSF and never had a FTF or FTE in the five matches I used it in. This has given me the faith to put it on my CCW. Still waiting for a G30 or G21 to show up around here though.

The only fault I have is that it is the only Glock other than the G42 and G43 that cannot use the larger magazines from a larger model such as the G26 where the G26 can use the G34/G17/G19 magazines..

6. Photoman642

Photoman642

My impression is the current production guns are fine. I had an earlier one that was not reliable enough for me. Didn't like the recoil either (and I'm not real recoil sensitive).

Given your situation, definitely stay away from the GAP option.

7. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Dude: it's a Glock.

Locust414 likes this.
  8. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

Ours has been 100% reliable from the first round, but it is an old one. Have seen no recent evidence to suggest reliability problems with the current crop.

We trudge on.

9. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

Its a great carry pistol, shoots very well, 100% on mine. the 7rds then 6 on a reload may be a turn off for some people, but if you do your job the G36 will not let you down.

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I believe confidence in hitting what you aim at is paramount, not expending bullets needlessly shows wisdom. I do carry more in the 30s and 26 in my pocket, but have the size to do so.

Enjoy the posts as the 36 does intrigue me.

11. tercel89

tercel89

I have been wondering the same as the original poster. If the newer batch of 36's are doing well , then what was the cause of the ones that failed ? There is sssooooo much scattered information that for me it is hard to tell which is truth and not .
    I'd like to get one for a good all purpose "car gun" to otss inthe car or truck when doing farm work. But I sure would like to find out the truth first .

12. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

When you consider the J frame S&W (which is my primary EDC) I get an two additional rounds. Recoil can be stout but with practice, it is very controllable.

As I said, mine is fairly new, a little less than a year old. As I live in CA, it is a Gen3. It might be of interest to note that my G26 (also a Gen3) which is about 18 months old does sometimes fail to completely close with factory 115gr FMJ. I have to give it a little nudge at times to completely close the slide while firing. It happened three times at my last match. Fortunately the accuracy for the G26 is phenomenal so it didn't hurt me much. The Glock armourer claimed nothing was wrong with the gun. For that reason, I am a little leery of carrying it until it is 100%..

13. smokey45

smokey45

Wonder how many here have seen a Glock that wouldn't run right out of the box. I'm not a kool aid drinker, I own a lot of different pistol platforms, but I have to say that I have never seen a Glock fail to run, if fed good ammo from good magazines, unless something was broken.
    s45

Locust414 likes this.
  14. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I have (3) 26s and a GSSF lifetime member. The 26's have like all Glocks have the ss inserts that the slide rides on, I polish those with Flitz and a Dremel with felt wheel, you can see and feel the tool marks with your finger nail, it does not take much, but all my Glocks get this prep.

15. bunk22

bunk22

I've had two G36's, had one a few years ago that was not reliable at all. Last year, I ended up buying another, along with my current XDs 4.0 45 ACP, did my own comparison. I ended up with my XDs but my second G36 was absolutely reliable through what I put it through. My first G36 had nothing but issues from day one, may have just been a lemon.

16. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

Thanks, guys.

Recoil?

I don't find my XDs.45 to be hard on recoil, but more so than that of my new G43.

My carry load is stout, but not punishing.
    [​IMG]
    The Springfield recoil spring design seems to keep the recoil impulse to a moderate level.

So, I might wind up renting a Glock 36 and test one out.

It would be with 230 grain FMJ.

No idea if they have a rental Gen 4 G30 or not.

According to some, that gun is the same weight, but a fraction wider.

Back when I had an early G30, I found that it was 100% reliable, but still..
    pretty fat in my hand(s) but also soft shooting for a .45 caliber Glock.

17. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

I have two G36 models. Both have choked
    on 230gr target ammo,WWB and Amer.Eagle.
    Only a few times but enough.
    With premium self defense ammo like Gold Dot
    PDX1,Golden Saber,Federal HST,no problems.
    Both of my guns are 2 to 3 years old.
    When I carry the 36 its ina VMII. Disappears.
    Mostly carry a G30S now.

18. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I had one that had the issues, the wicked double feeds and FTF. I rebuilt the entire slide and got it to run and then sold it. That said, mine had nearly 6k rds, many of which were steel wolf ammo.

I have another one now, A newer one and it runs great, like a Glock. I would offer however, do not give up on the G 39. It is often my carry gun and I spent the day on the range with his big Brother, my new Gen 4 G 37.

gp23 likes this.
  19. MSW

MSW

Mine is about 7 years old. Never had an issue. Probably 1000+ rounds through it. It sees daily carry.

Smoothest shooting Glock I have.

Mark2Glock likes this.
  20. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

My 36 has never let me down period! I been pocket carrying it along with me 21 due to rampant amount of stupid diapering thugs in the area where I have to go thru to help out a brother inlaw.