Glock 36 PROBLEM. Slide lock doesn't work!!...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Stewie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Stewie

Stewie

My Glock 36 is about 10 months old, and has had approximately 500 rounds through it. I was doing some dry fire yesterday. When I rack the slide back to reset the trigger, the slide stop (the little take down bar just under the barrel) falls down just enough so that when the trigger breaks, the slide/barrel come right off the frame. This has never happened with ammo in the gun. Only when the magazine is removed, and I rack the slide. I even tried it with my dummy training rounds, I could not replicate the condition. There are no broken pins, and the slide stop spring is not worn out.
    ;4
    My Glock 22 does not have this problem at all, and its older than dirt.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with any of their Glocks?

2. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

The part you're referring to is the slide LOCK not the slide STOP. On a Glock, the slide stop is what many might call the slide release. I.E. the button you hit with your thumb to chamber a round from the magazine. Anyway, it sounds like you may have a broken slide LOCK spring. Does the slide lock or takedown bar move from side to side? Either way, you need to get in there and check out the orientation.

Edited to add: I see now you titled the thread correctly with slide lock but used stop in the text of the thread. Just making sure we were on the same page, wasn't meaning to badger you. I still would suspect the spring. The other possible option is that somebody took the weapon down and installed the lock backwards although it should fail with or without rounds in the gun.

3. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

G4L is correct. The G30 and 36 seem to break the slide lock springs quicker than other Glock models. The spring is an inexpensive part and is easy to replace.

4. Stewie

Stewie

The spring didn't break. The slide lock wiggles back and forth alot too. That is, it can rock/cant forwards, and backwards along the longitudinal axis of the weapon. My Glock 22 also does not do this.

It should be noted that I rack the slide pretty hard when I practice my dry fire.

5. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

I don't mean to beat the perverbial dead horse but are you absolutely positive that the spring is either not broken or that it's installed properly because it's difficult to tell this without doing a detail strip of the weapon. The slide lock simply should not move around like that if all were well.

One thing you can check for without doing a strip is to remove the slide and look down at the slide lock. On the top of the slide lock there is a ridge on one side only. This ridge MUST be facing to the rear of the weapon for proper function because it is what catches the slide upon it's return to battery. Otherwise, the slide could continue to move forward and right off of the front end of the receiver.

6. Stewie

Stewie

Ridge is facing the rear. I havent taken the gun completely apart but the pressure on the spring is just as good as my first generation G-22, which has tens of thousands of rounds through it.

7. fortyfiveacpdvc

fortyfiveacpdvc

Sheesh Stewie, that's a stumper.

I can't figure out how that would happen unless the spring or lock itself is broken.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cp

8. T. Harless

T. Harless

Replace the Slide Lock Spring.

9. Stewie

Stewie

Glock told they will send new spring and slide lock. My gunsmith will install it, then we'll see if I am going to trade it in for a new S&W Airlite PD. That should get ya'll fired up.

10. T. Harless

T. Harless

If you can't fix your own Glock, the wheel gun is probably your way to go. That should get you fired up.

11. Stewie

Stewie