Glock Talk banner

Glock 36 Malfunctions.

25341 Views 102 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  tercel89
My agency has approximately 12 Glock 36 that are issued to admin, and detectives. Of those guns 7 of them are having malfunctions to include failure to eject, extract, chamber or go back into full battery. I believe we even saw stove pipes. Several of us are armorers and with numerous years of experience. We tried different ammunition, magazines and everything that we could think of and cannot figure it out. We have taken all 36s and put them in the armorery until we get it figured out. Has anyone had any similar problems with this model?
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

· I'm your huckleberry....
18,116 Posts
I'm surprised. I just bought a 36 about 3 weeks ago after renting one and asking for opinions on this same forum. Most were positive, a few negative and most of those were with earlier production models. The positive comments came from newer owners. So far, I've shot around 400 rds mixed new, reloads, RN and HP. First day out 3rd magazine I had one double-feed (which could also have been my fault...) and no other issues throughout the other 399+ rds. I've done nothing but clean it and changed the floorplates to Pearce +0 because I hate the boxy ones that come on the stock mags. So I am at a loss why you'd have problems with a gun (which I'm getting ready to go out with my 2 grandsons to shoot) that has been flawless for me so far... Good luck finding the problem(s) and sorry to hear it.

· NRA Benefactor
6,141 Posts
I bought one for sub major in GSSF and couldn't get a G30. So far I've used it in approximately 6 matches and I've never had a problem with it. However, I have only shot it using Federal 230FMJ in brass and aluminum cases so that may not be a fair comparison if you are shooting lighter bullets.

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are shooting 230 FMJ both American Eagle and CCI Spear. Our pistols are 100% stock guns. We are working through our rep too, but thought I would see if anyone else is experiencing anything.

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Its a bit disturbing. I've been shooting a Glock pistol of same form for 18 years. I've owned a bunch of different models. I had on Glock 19 that had a malfunction on me that I quickly got rid. Otherwise nothing like this. We did have a batch of Glock 22s that had rails bent incorrectly. Of the 70 guns our dept had 6 had a rail break off. They kept firing by the way. No one notice until they were pulled apart and cleaned.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
I bought two G36 Glocks. Had problems feeding with both using fmj 230gr ball. They ran better with warmer ammo but still not reliable enough for me to carry. Traded one 36;still have the other.

Looking forward to hearing what conclusions you make regarding this Glock model 36. Would LOVE to have a 36 that I feel confident about carrying.

Go ahead and call me the "fly poop in the pepper" or whatever. I get it.

· Banned
2,861 Posts
Well...

As all of mine, and every one I have ever personally come in contact w/ or heard about, have operated flawlessly, over years of service and Thousands of assorted 230 gr. rounds..?

My only advice would be Grease.

Put a film on Every metal-metal moving contact surface... rails/tabs, Bbl./slide, chamber block/ slide, connector tab/ cam, etc.

I would also suggest that you sent both the Pistols, and your Armorers, back to GLOCK.

Not callin' B.S... but I'm sure thinkin' it.

Nutter

· Polymerlicious!
6,645 Posts
My agency has approximately 12 Glock 36 that are issued to admin, and detectives. Of those guns 7 of them are having malfunctions to include failure to eject, extract, chamber or go back into full battery. I believe we even saw stove pipes. Several of us are armorers and with numerous years of experience. We tried different ammunition, magazines and everything that we could think of and cannot figure it out. We have taken all 36s and put them in the armorery until we get it figured out. Has anyone had any similar problems with this model?
The G36 is Glock's most problematic model because it's known to be finicky.
There are many discussions here about it.
Some are convinced it just simply is a lemon model, poorly designed or engineered.
Others, such as myself, think it's fine but does require two things:
1) Full-powered ammo
2) A strong grip
It can be argued that a suitable fighting handgun shouldn't be as persnickety ... and I can't argue with them.
Having said that, I've had my G36 since its first year of production with only a handful of failures in thousands of rounds.
And yet when curious onlookers have asked if they can shoot it, it invariably jams.
When my experienced shooting buddy shoots it, no problems.
When I shoot it, no problems.
When other people shoot it ... usually problems.
I use a pretty pronounced push/pull grip, which perhaps provides a solid base.
I honestly don't have the perfect answer for you but that's my experience with the G36. I still love and carry mine often (although a S&W 9mm Shield has replaced it as my every day gun) and have the utmost confidence in it. But I can't deny I've seen my own gun perform poorly in other hands several times.
I can't totally explain it but merely pass it on.
Good luck!

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
V
Well...

As all of mine, and every one I have ever personally come in contact w/ or heard about, have operated flawlessly, over years of service and Thousands of assorted 230 gr. rounds..?

My only advice would be Grease.

Put a film on Every metal-metal moving contact surface... rails/tabs, Bbl./slide, chamber block/ slide, connector tab/ cam, etc.

I would also suggest that you sent both the Pistols, and your Armorers, back to GLOCK.

Not callin' B.S... but I'm sure thinkin' it.

Nutter
Considering I'm one of those armorers I can tell you I don't need to be sent back to Glock. We all thought it was the shooter but after all our experienced instructors had the same issues with the guns. So your insinuating its BS I'm sorry you feel that way. The pistols will be going back that is for sure.

Corey

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The G36 is Glock's most problematic model because it's known to be finicky.
There are many discussions here about it.
Some are convinced it just simply is a lemon model, poorly designed or engineered.
Others, such as myself, think it's fine but does require two things:
1) Full-powered ammo
2) A strong grip
It can be argued that a suitable fighting handgun shouldn't be as persnickety ... and I can't argue with them.
Having said that, I've had my G36 since its first year of production with only a handful of failures in thousands of rounds.
And yet when curious onlookers have asked if they can shoot it, it invariably jams.
When my experienced shooting buddy shoots it, no problems.
When I shoot it, no problems.
When other people shoot it ... usually problems.
I use a pretty pronounced push/pull grip, which perhaps provides a solid base.
I honestly don't have the perfect answer for you but that's my experience with the G36. I still love and carry mine often (although a S&W 9mm Shield has replaced it as my every day gun) and have the utmost confidence in it. But I can't deny I've seen my own gun perform poorly in other hands several times.
I can't totally explain it but merely pass it on.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. We thought the guys were shooting with poor grips but after the instructors shot it and experienced the same thing that went out the window. We did try to literally limp wrist them on purpose as well as shoot with thumb and trigger finger only but could not replicate it. It seemed to happen when it wanted to.

Corey

· Polymerlicious!
6,645 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We thought the guys were shooting with poor grips but after the instructors shot it and experienced the same thing that went out the window. We did try to literally limp wrist them on purpose as well as shoot with thumb and trigger finger only but could not replicate it. It seemed to happen when it wanted to.

Corey
Good luck getting it figured out, Corey. Let us know if/when it gets settled. I'll be curious to see what comes out of it ...

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Sounds like they all have the same problem, short cycling. Does the slide lock back when last round is fired. If not, try a reduced power recoil spring. Otherwise, try a reduced power mag spring. If those don't fix it, they have bigger problems.

· you savvy?
23,214 Posts
its a bit tiring to hear even more G36 failures after so many years of them being on the market. you will be told plenty of "good firm grip" bull****....but if you have a bad G36 it will remain bad until it is replaced with a good one.

· Registered
216 Posts
It sounds like the same thing my XDs was doing, "Inertia Feeding".

Stronger mag springs fixed my XDs.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
We're not experiencing any of that with our two G36's, other than the occasional stove pipe my wife has with hers when doing one handed drills. I shoot her gun and have no issues, so I know they are grip sensitive with standard pressure ammo. The first thing I'd so is replace the RSA in one of the seven and see if it functions any better.

· Registered
216 Posts
We're not experiencing any of that with our two G36's, other than the occasional stove pipe my wife has with hers when doing one handed drills. I shoot her gun and have no issues, so I know they are grip sensitive with standard pressure ammo. The first thing I'd so is replace the RSA in one of the seven and see if it functions any better.
Does your wife get a live round stove pipe or an empty casing stove pipe?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.