Glock 36 guide rod and spring recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tnstaafl, Jan 23, 2010.

1. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

I have a G36 - bought it used a few weeks ago - I called Glock with the SN and it's apparently an older gun - I ran a few boxes of FMJ through the gun and it fires reliably, but when I was field stripping it the other day, I had a bit of a problem with re-assembling the recoil assembly - I eventually got it in, but it seemed a lot more difficult than I always experience with my Glock 23.

I've read through this thread about the different types of Glock sub-compact guide rods (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1112670&highlight=glock+36+recoil+spring) - I have a stock rod type 2.

I'm pretty much convinced that I want to replace the guide rod assembly. Most of what I've read about replacing the rod assemblies (rod and spring), people have used a replacement assembly setup from Wolff - one guy with three different sub-compact Glocks mentioned the Wolff setup with a 19 pound spring on his Glock 36.

I know that there are other alternatives, but the Wolff setup with a 19 pound spring seems to be the most straight-forward, reliable, and trouble free - I'm always more interested in reliability than price, but since this is a CC weapon, reliability is even more relevant.

Any good reasons not to go with the Wolff setup? Any good reasons to go with a different spring than the 19 pound spring?

Thanks in advance for the expert opinions.

2. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

Good luck with the G36. Some of us haven't been so lucky. I use use mine for plinking in the woods. Jamomatic doesn't matter out there....:crying:

3. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

Yes, I know some have had issues with the 36 - but there are lots of folks that haven't had any problems - most of the problems I've read about center on the guide rod assembly - that's why I'm looking to replace that component.

4. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

I'm not sure about the older 36's, mine is a newr one and the guid rod/spring is all one piece and goes right in. Is yours a 2 peice?

5. dreis454

dreis454

6. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

Mine is like the Type 2 in the picture - it looks like it's an assembly of two pieces and two springs - they don't disassemble, as far as I can tell. The bottom part of my guide rod (the part that seats on the barrel lug) is also bent like the one shown in the picture.

Attached Files:

7. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

There is no harm in replacing the stock assembly with a Wolff if you want to. I do not trust the Glock guide rod as one broke in my brand new G27 at about 400 rds fired. My three Glocks have the Wolff with stock spring weight except for the G20 which has a 20lb spring. I can't comment on the G36 spring weight as I only kept mine for a short time before trading it off on a G30 SF.

8. chasbo00

chasbo00

I replaced my factory guide and spring with a non-captured Wolff -- works like a champ for me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

I had a G36 and one of the "reliability" things I did was take a piece of hardened steel rod (drill bit) and placed it inside the guide rod. It really stiffened it up. With that said I worked on a G27 when I was working in a gun shop. The rod "head" had broken but was "captured" in the recess. Gun was still functioning along. I had many rounds thru the tube of the 36, I loved it but eventually traded it off so I could get a G27 with doubletap ammo (I went for capacity). HTH

10. Jim S.

Jim S.

Me too, and I kept the stock spring weight.
    My jamo-matic has over 7500 rounds through her and all trouble free.
    That is with the stock rod and the Wolff.