close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36 feeding problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mickey, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mickey

Mickey Millennium Member

I put the first 250 rounds through my Glock 36.I shot Federal hardball,Blazer ammo, and Federal hollowpoints.I am getting a failure to feed once every 3-5 magazines.It usually happens on the second round.This occurs with both a white knuckle grip, or a limpwristed grip.Any solutions?
    Mickey

2. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I had a similar problem for awhile but not nearly as often - I started using bullets weighing less than 230 grains and it hasn't missed a beat since. I thought it was just picky with reloads but found the same thing with Remington ammo. Since I went less than 230, it doesn't matter what I feed it whether it be hollow points, reloads, flat nose, round nose, and even semi wadcustters, it just works. Since a defense load would be 185, I'm not a bit concerned about reliablility.

3. vafish

vafish

Is it the same magazine all the time?

My G36 has been completely reliable for 2 years, heavy bullets, light bullets, FMJ, JHP, strong grip , weak grip, I can't get it to fail.

I shoot mostly Winchester White Box, 230 gr FMJ and JHP's.

4. JackFrost

JackFrost

I agree with vafish. With any of my weapons if I have a feed problem the first thing I do is mark the magazine. I have a G36 and so far I have not had any problems once I switched over to a stronger spring in my Pierce +1 extensions. I use the Pierce +0s on a number of my magazines with the stock springs and have no problems shooting FMJ and JHP.

5. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Interesting theory - I've brewed up some 230 JRN and am going to see if we have a common denominator.

6. vafish

vafish

I mark my magazines as soon as I get them. I use a Dremel tool and engrave a number on the bottom of the mag. It makes it real easy to eliminate the mag as a problem when trouble shooting.

7. Bubba w/a 45/70

Bubba w/a 45/70

I must agree with Vafish, my 36 doesn't care what's in the magazine. The gun eats everything that I feed it. The only differenct is that I don't mark my mags....have never had to.

I can even change loads/weights in mid-magazine===IT STILL WORKS.;)

8. Mickey

Mickey Millennium Member

I had trouble with both of the magazines that came with the gun.Today, I ordered a non-captured recoil spring assembly, and +10% magazine springs from Wollf Spring Company.Hopefully , the new springs will make the gun function better.If not, my Mdl.36 might need a trip back to Glock.
    Mickey

9. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Went to the range with the new 230s and all worked flawllessly. Turns out that I don't think the mag or the bullet weight was the issue - it was my using a factory crimp die. Decided to remove that recently and see how it went and everything works fine. I'm still a big believer in the Lee FCD and have used it for years but there is something about my particular 36 that doesn't like ammo from it. Still doesn't explain why I had a few failures with a box of factory 230s (Remington PMC) but it worked today with 100 rounds without even a hint of a hiccup.

10. Zoggy

Zoggy

Sound more like a early break in problem that went away after shooting a few hundred rounds rather than your reloads.

11. Backfire

Backfire

My models 19 and 21 both improved greatly in terms of smoothness and reliability after hundreds of rounds in each. Both are now boringly reliable (the 19's magazines had to have 9mm3 followers installed to replace the 2183 type to eliminate that nose-diving of the last rounds in the magazine). I may have had bad batches of primers in the past since there were some failures to fire in both guns (the 21 had a problem with "remanufactured" ammo that had primers not fully seated), but now I seem to have no problems with ignition with either gun. I use mainly UMC ammo for range practice. Premium carry ammo never causes any problem at all when I do shoot it up from time to time.

The same thing happened with my Bushmaster AR-15 - it just got very smooth to operate after hundreds of rounds. Those precisely machined parts fit together really tightly when new. I think this is the case for many well-made, tightly-fitted guns where the parts eventually seat themselves perfectly after a good deal of use.

Lesson: shoot the hell out of your new guns before you make any final judgement about their reliability. Good luck.;f

12. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

My 36 went thru 30k reloads, every one was a star 230fmj, with only a few hiccups in the first 1000rds, at 30k the frame developed some small cracks and smyrna gave me a new frame, now I've got 10k on the second frame, I have used the pierce +1's with wolf mag springs and wolf guide rod with a wolf recoil spring since it was new and I cant choke this thing no matter what I do, BTW every one of my reloads goes thru an fcd.:)

13. Mickey

Mickey Millennium Member

I replaced the Glock recoil spring and guiderod with a noncaptured guiderod, and 19lb. springs.I replaced the Magazine springs with + 10% Wollf springs.
    Today, at the range, I fired 225 rounds consisting of 4 different brands of Ammo.I even shot the 36 weak handed, and limp wristed.It fired every round without a problem!I think the mag springs assisted the extra weight recoil springs to drive the top round into the chamber before it had a chance to foul up.
    I feel comfortable carrying the Gun for defensive purposes now that it ran through 200+ Rds. without a hitch.
    Mickey

14. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

Congrats pard, with the wolf mag & recoil springs your problems are a thing of the past.;)

15. Suzy Cooke

Suzy Cooke Big Dawgs 1894

Some people have never had a problem lots of others have.

I had lots of problems. Took it to three Glock Armorers and talked to Glock factory service.

There have been some problems with this gun. Most think it is an extractor bearing and loaded round indicator miss match of parts.

Supposedly now that I swapped it for a G21 they have a fix kit through some of the Glock Armorers.

In the meantime I found it real picky on the ammo with different guns liking different rounds. Find one that it likes and take it to the armorer.

Mark your mags because some times they seem to be the problem.

Swapping for the G21 was a most satisfying move on my part. The G21 is the nicest .45 I've ever owned and I like the full sized grip the 36 was annoying without a Peirce on it.

Suz