close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36...ankle carry??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jstncse, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Jstncse

Jstncse

I have a G19 and needless to say I love it, and will no doubt eventually own many more glocks. I'm going into law enforcement and am looking for a potential backup gun, probably to be carried on my ankle. I was looking at the Smith and Wesson 360PD (.357,12oz, 5 shot) but love Glock so much that I'm considering a G36 instead. Does anyone have any experience using a G36 in this capacity? Thanks

2. wczimmerman

wczimmerman

I had issues trying to carry my G36 that way. The overall height was just a bit too much to blend with the lines of the pant leg, even in jeans.

3. JFP

JFP

I am 6"2' and 250 lbs. Tried this method with a quality holster and could not feel comfortable either with the printing (although this is highly subjective since "you" know it there) and with the weight on the ankle. It ewas just to much hassle for a very slow type of carry.

Definitely not a daily type thing, maybe for special deep cover needs (although my 2 cents is that for deep cover a smart carry sytem will hold a G36 or G30 confortable as long as you pants are not to tight).

4. 132

I'm carrying a G26 in a DeSantis ankle rig right now and have been doing so for some time. I agree with the others though that the G36, even as narrow as it is, is more difficult to carry than one of the subs. For me, I think the longer slide dug into my ankle bone and was just uncomfortable. Maybe with a better rig, such as the Galco Ankle Glove (if they make it) it would work allright.

5. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

I've carried one on my ankle every so often (like when I'm going to church) and I've had no problems so far. I'm using a fobus ankle rig. YMMV

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

You must have some big ankles.

Around here the 26 and 27, because of size and caliber are more favored as backups. And around here, more guys use the holster attached to their kevlar vest under their armpit (shoulder holster style) under the shirt than ankle rigs. Less likely to go flying in a foot pursuit, accessible seated or standing, and few people think to look there.

In a wheelgun, I wouldn't go lighter than a Airweight. Titaniums are great to carry, but ifyou ever need it, you'll want something that doesn't try and rip your hand off when you shoot it. Airweights are only another couple ounces.

7. Sparticus

Sparticus Millennium Member

I have carried a Glock 30 in an Alessi ankle holster for over three years. It works best with a medium high top boot, to help hold the weight. But, I go all day with it.

8. JerryR

JerryR

I've carried the 27 with night sights on my ankle in a Galco Glove for some time now and it's been quite comfortable, secure and totally concealed.

Yep, you have to remember which leg to not cross, you might want to buy your slacks a little longer and looser, but the truth of the matter is that once you put it our of YOUR mind, no one else will ever notice.

Oh, forget the magazine extensions too, they CAN make the gun very noticable and they're not really necessary.

Also, remember to practice, practice, practice. Yes, even with your backup gun.