close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 36: A review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by spectre04, Aug 5, 2011.

1. spectre04

spectre04

I know there have been more than several individual takes on this particular model Glock: Mostly negative in the early stages, but giving way to more positive 'tude later on. I will save you the poor experience of reading-on and suffice to say that the 36 is a badass little gun.

So, If some unlucky soul has ventured down to this second paragraph I'll not shy away from detail.

I recently took an OD Glock 36 on trade. It'd be a lie should I deny having any reservations about doing so, even considering selling the gun without giving it a shot (literally).
    [​IMG]
    I opened the case and grabbed the little booger the moment It was removed from the cardboard box. Having owned a model 30 previously, I was amazed at how thin it was. All four mags the came in the box had pierce "plus zero" base plates, save for one with a "plus one" addition. These plates fit my hand better than the factory Glock units. The gun also came equipped with TruGlo TFO's installed (though I had to modify the front sight screw a bit to ensure a proper fit).
    [​IMG]

I grabbed the gun and a mag, went to our testing area, then ran about 12 rounds through the pistol. Holy *****, this thing is a sweetheart! I can control the 36 as effectively - if not more so - than any of my 9mm's. Having owned MANY 9mm Glocks and both 21's and 30's, I am comfortable in stating that the 36 is my favorite sidearm to shoot. I understand the dynamics of recoil and the different impulses between the different calibers, which further strengthens my opinion.

I've since put about 350rs through the 36 and have begun to carry it. The gun fits great in my Galco King Tuk (made for 9mm/40/357 models)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have not experienced a single failure. I've used the cheap Wally World special to Corbon DPX 185gr +P (HOT ammo - 1075fps hot!) all without so much as a crappy ejection. Sure, I'm limited to 7rds...but this is simply a carry piece. My Kimbers only carry 9 and the 36 is slimmer. To be blunt, the 36 is my EDC. It sits in either the King Tuk or a Desantis pocket holster.

To anyone looking for a slim, reliable, and FUN carry piece, check out the Glock 36.
    Thanks for reading the long-winded post. Hope it helps someone.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. adam2670

adam2670

Thanks, this really helps, I've been experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse having just bought a 36 over a 30. I have yet to shoot it and was reading so many bad things about it I was considering going through the hassle of swapping it out for a 30. The 30 felt so much better in my hand, more like my Gen 4 17 and 26 and was concerned that the narrower backstrap would have been more painful to shoot. I think I may take my chances and hit the range this weekend now...wish me luck!

-A

3. Glockfelty

Glockfelty

Finally someone has said ( dare I say it) the 36 is a great gun!

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I was pleasantly surprised that such a light 45 ACP was an easy shooter too. Nice looking gun, congrats.

5. smith1j

smith1j

I am on my second Glock 36 with no problems. Hard to beat for size and weight in a 45 auto.

6. Tarowah

Tarowah

The G36 is one of the sweetest shooting Glocks out there imo, congtrats.

7. jstephens202

jstephens202

I've had a 36 for years now, about 2-3 thousand rounds( I know, not much) but it has always worked for me. One of the most accurate out of the box I've owned. To be honest, I don't carry it much, only for "deep cover" when I can't carry one of my 1911s. I haven't modified it any and use only the standard mags and to date it has ate everything I've fed it. I've found the best use for it is for carry in hot weather as,since it is a Glock, rust is not a worry. How nice it would be, though, if Glock would make a "full size 36". A 36 with a 21's barrel and single stack would no doubt replace my beloved 1911's for both duty and off-duty....:cool:

8. up1911fan

up1911fan

Thanks for the review.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

So what is it about the 36 that makes it shoot better than the 21 or 30?

10. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

I love the G36! it is my EDC...

11. Glock40man

Glock40man

I'm glad you like you G36. I like mine but, for some reason I shoot my G30SF better.

12. mellowyellow

mellowyellow

My favorite Glock !! Hands down...

13. spectre04

spectre04

Cowboy1964, I really don't have a professional answer except to day I believe it's a combination of a strong recoil spring and a lack of reciprocating weight. Racking the slide takes a fairly deliberate action (at least to get it started). The aforementioned qualities coupled with the generally soft recoil impulse of the cartridge make for a sweet shooter.

I can see folks shooting the 30/30sf a little better as there is more purchase on the gun. I shot better groups with my 30's, though I owe a lot of that to the sights. I used regular old meprolight 3-dots instead of the TFO's on the 36. The TruGlo's aren't exactly precise as the front fiber optic insert isn't 100% centered in the housing and the rear notch isn't wide enough (my opinion).

Anywho, thanks for the kind words. While I'm sure the 36 had it's teething problems (it was a fairly new concept for the company) the gun is and should be considered "solid" by now. Great little concealed carry gun.

I also love how little the mags weigh when loaded. I toss a couple in a pocket and go about my day.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  14. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Hi, I enjoyed your post. I am on my second G36, this one is OD and is very accurate. Also my EDC.
    As you've said, you carry an extra mag and you're fine.
    As I'm in Florida (hot), I wear Levi's every day and carry the extra mag in my watch-pocket. Fits like a charm and stays there securely.
    And, also like you said, the G36 fits my 9mm holsters perfectly.
    All is good.
    Glad you like your gun.

One of my better targets, just after I bought the gun. My bench-rested targets are more like 0.6".

[​IMG]

S@

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Nice to hear you are enjoying your G36.

16. Texcowboy

Texcowboy

My G36 is one of my 'Summer' carry guns along with my G26 and G33. Carried in a DeSantis Insider in the Appendix position it conceals as easy as the other two.

Shoots great and easy to conceal!!!

17. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

Congrats on the 36 and nice shooting! Love the OD!

18. Glock Master

Glock Master

The G36 is my favorite pistol to shoot.

19. paddling_man

paddling_man

Reminiscent of the old State Farm jingle... like a good neighbor, she's there for me.

[​IMG]

20. hunter 111

hunter 111

size
    weight
    conceal ability

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012