close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 357's and "Better Supported Chambers"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TWS G26, Apr 22, 2003.

1. TWS G26

TWS G26

I am considering adding a G32 to my collection, possibly for carry, and curious regarding the "better supported chamber" of 357 Glocks. I'm already sold on the merits of this caliber. I previously owned a G32, but it was in the early stages of this model, plus I have developed my knowledge base and shooting skills substantially since I sold the gun in favor of shooting 9mm's. For the record, I do not/will not shoot reloads or lead. For carry I'm using only high-quality ammo from Speer, Remington, or Pro-Load; target ammo from GA Arms, Winchester, etc.

I have searched/browsed/read the GT forum, in addition to various web sites that I believe are somewhat reliable. I understand why Glock chambers are the way they are for feed reliability, as is the case with many semi-auto's. However, is it true that Glock engineers have designed a better supported (but not fully supported) and tighter chamber for the 31/32/33 vs. their .40/.45/10mm offerings? A particular writer stated that the Glock 357's even offered better support than the G19 (of which I own a pair). I've field-stripped a G19, looking at the loaded chamber with a Speer GD 124gr +P, which appears to be nearly fully supported except for slight exposure at the 6 o'clock position over the feed ramp.

Can anyone verify the statement regarding Glock 357 chambers being tighter and more supportive than the .40/.45/10mm, or even 9mm models? Would anyone have a pic available to validate this?

Thanks

2. noway

noway

If you take a 32 and 23 barrel and place them side by side you will see a big difference in the support area mainly around the 6 oclock position.

Take a trip to you're gun store and have the sales person show you the chambers areas.

The support is greater in the 357sig vrs other calibers and if I would rank it for stock glocks the order would be;

9mm
    10mm/357sig tied
    40sw
    45acp

Yep my 45 has the biggest un-supported chambers area. Do I worry about it ? NO. I shoot factory loads, ensure that my re-loads are in warm to mild and use good handloading practice.

3. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

The .357 glocks are at least as good if not better than the 9mm in terms of support.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

I just got an aftermarket barrel for my G22 in a 357 sig flavor. One of the first things I checked before even putting it in the gun was how the chamber was supported vs. my 40 S&W barrel. There is a fairly good section of the case exposed on the 40 S&W but on the aftermarket barrel the metal to metal contact at the 6 o'clock position stops right where the case starts to bevel in for the rim. I have not had a chance to shoot more than about 40 or 50 rounds with it but as of yet I have not had any feeding problems.
    The only problem I encountered was one misfire. I am not too concerned about that yet as the entire gun is fairly new with probably less than 300 rounds from both barrels. I would still consider that a break in period from the number of rounds I have heard others have shot through their Glock's.

5. RiverRunner

RiverRunner

Compared side by side with my G26, the G33 is better supported. In fact, I would venture to say it is fully supported, as I can't see how it could be any more supported.

6. TWS G26

TWS G26

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'll probably be joining the club in a month or so, beginning with the G32.

7. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

A welcome to the club;)

You may want to look at all these pistols before you decide on one.
    These are all about the same size.
    Sig 229.357 ,Springfield XD series .357,Glock G32.

8. TWS G26

TWS G26

Thanks, Screaming. I'm pretty much a Glock person but I would consider the SIG. My holsters, etc. are for compact and sub-compact Glocks, so another reason to keep it simple. And Glocks are the only handgun I've owned since 1991.

9. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That is correct.