close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 35 or Non-Glock (having problems)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rangerE32, Nov 4, 2006.

1. rangerE32

rangerE32

Thought some of you with more experience than myself with Glocks could give me some insight. I recently purchased a Glock 35 .40 cal. to use as an IPSC Limited gun (I am new to IPSC), with the intention of eventually doing a few modifications. I had been using my Sig 226 9mm for Production and even Limited, but I wanted to move up to Major with a .40. Most of my experience in handgunning is with the 226/228/229. I chose a Glock for this move due to the reliability of the platform and because I could build up a gun that would allow me to be competitive with the high-cap 1911s, without "breaking the bank". However, after shooting several hundred rounds through a stock Glock 35, I am apprehensive about building it up, and think I may have to try something else.

I am very inconsistent with this gun at this point. I have noticed that I tend to shoot high and to the right of the bullseye, as opposed to low and to the left with everything else I have ever shot, when I miss (generally shooting 7-15 yards). When I speed things up and shoot 2 or 3-shot strings, I am all over the paper. Of course they tend to go low when I jerk the trigger, but I have had complete misses as well. I use a 50-yard bullseye target printed on 8x11 paper (small, but should not miss this at close range). I thought there was something wrong with the gun, the sights, or both...but maybe it is just me.

When I really slow things down with my shooting, I am capable of shooting with accuracy (ex. 5 shots in 1-1.5"). However, I still tend to shoot to the right of the bullseye. I am using a white dot front and an adjustable "goalpost" rear sight (stock Glock). I feel like I have to really "bury" the dot into the bottom of the goal post and even hold the muzzle slightly lower than I am used to (3-dot sights normally).

I don't know if anything here has to do with the grip angle of the Glock (which is new to me). I was thinking that changing the sights and maybe dropping in a tungsten guide rod might help me. However, since I plan on installing Dawson Precision fiber optic sights, this would be an expensive investment, especially if it doesn't improve my shooting and the Glock proves to be the wrong gun for me.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. Yar

Yar

You can learn to shoot anything if you practice. Do lots of dryfire and learn to shoot the glock off the trigger reset. Go ahead and get the trigger, sights and springs done. It will make your job easier and you can start taking advantage of the new platform.

3. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Let me preface this by saying I am not, in anyway, an expert at pistol shooting. That being said, it sounds like you are used to the trigger from the Sig, and having trouble adjusting to the Glock trigger. Dry-fire the bejebus outta that thing, and learn where the trigger resets. :thumbsup:

4. rangerE32

rangerE32

Yar and Grunt,
    I agree with you about dry-firing and focusing on the trigger pull. I agree that given enough time I can learn the Glock. However, I am also now concerned about "unlearning" the techniques I used in order to shoot a Sig. I carry a Sig Classic on a daily basis at work and am concerned about switching back in forth between shooting styles. I should just use a Sig X-5, but at signifigantly higher cost and a limitation of 14 rounds of .40, that may also not be what I am looking for to shoot Limited major.

5. Yar

Yar

In your case I would stay with something as close to your duty weapon as possible. I shoot with several LEO's and I make the same recommendation to them. More important than the trigger for you is how the gun indexes. The glock is going to point different than the sig.

For limited you need at least 16+1 capacity. Being that in USPSA/IPSC targets are usually arrays of 4 thus you could take 2 arrays without going to slide lock. I do not think they make an extended basepad for the 226/x5 mags so your stuck at 14+1.

I would also recommend maybe you find something more similar to a sig. Maybe a CZ tactical sport which I know will have enough capacity. Possibly a springfeild XD after Arredondo comes out with his new +5 basepad.

6. rangerE32

rangerE32

I would have jumped on the XD, had the same types of options for extended magazines been available. I like the grip a lot more than most plastic guns I have picked up. I have been talking to a lot of people, and it sounds like I need to change the sights before I dismiss the Glock. Now, off to get more ammo....