close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 35 for Falling Plates

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by uccp, Dec 24, 2002.

1. uccp

uccp

I have a Glock 35 that I frequently shoot at falling plate matches at my local club. Right now I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because the guys who win shoot 1911s with 9lb recoil springs and 155gr 45 ACP loads that recoil like a .22.

I would like to get a recoil spring and light load for this particular game, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any advice?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

13# or 12# spring

180-gr FMJ over 3.9-gr WST, OAL 1.135 inches

3. tjpet

tjpet

The load listed by DannyR is an excellent one.

I've recently started using 200grn. slugs with 3.1grns. of WST and a stock recoil spring in my G22. A super accurate, sweet shooting load for plates or general purpose work where a Minor-type power level is desired.

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

It's only part equipment. Helps but not necessary. And those guys have bad days too. Seen them beat dozens of time over the years.

Keeping your practice face on and not yielding to pressure is the ticket to winning head to head plate shoots.

The biggest factor to winning plates is to master the sweeping technique not waiting for the plates to fall before you move to the next plate.

Under pressure, if you can clear a plate a second, you should be one of the top three competitors.We had tons of guys buying G34s with a fiber optic green front sight and the 3.5 connector because a consistent winner had that very setup. he still smokes them.

Practice plates on a regular basis other than an hour before the shoot and you should develop fine.

5. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

But I do know that the 180/185/200/220/230 grain bullets do knock plates down faster and easier.

If you have a spare wolff striker spring, you can always cut three to five coils off to make your own custom reduced power striker spring. And just download your charges and tinker till it's right!

Oooopppps! You're right Steve. I meant striker srpings for smoothing out the trigger action. Sorry.

Steve's right, just buy a calibration pack

6. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I had some slightly out of battery firings with 24 lb Wolffs in a G23. They quickly take a severe set and will fail the recoil spring test (where you point the unloaded gun up, pull trigger, retract slide slightly (vary distance) and see if the spring can still put the gun into battery.) I imagine cutting a few coils off of other springs would/could do the same thing.

Best to forget about cutting coils and get the proper reduced power spring and not dance with out of battery firings.

Koski

7. philkryder

philkryder

I have a 35 and shoot very reduced loads.

The load I use is based on the 155 grain precisionbullet.com bullets.

I use a load of 4 grains of Nobel AS or Alliant Green Dot.
    It chronos at about 900-950 fps out of the 35.
    OAL of 1.160

I tried various reduced strength recoil springs from IMSI but ended up weakening the spring until I got the ejection to be about 3 feet.
    Be sure that you get good lockup.

Good luck.
    phil