close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 35 and Surefire M111???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glockster_James, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Okay, tried a search and didn't come up with the answer so going to post my question and I appologize if I'm not in the right section. But anyways, finally decided my next Glock is going to be a Glock 35 and going to be setup to go into H E double hockey sticks and back. I know a little long but please bear with me.

But here's my problem. In the past I've heard about problems between Glock rails and Surefire weapon mounted lights. The few postings I've seen here on GT talk about how the Surefire lights were too heavy and something about the extra pin in the Glocks helping reduce the malfunction, or something. I really didn't understand. it.

Anyways, here is the Surefire M111 that I'd like to get to attach to the Glock 35 when I get it. Surefire M111 I know, spendy light, and the price is gonna get worse cause I'm going to be getting the waterproof one that comes out in another month or two and costs another hundred dollars or so more.

I talked to Surefire on the phone today and they stated that the Glock and M111 will function flawlessly if I use the rails that Surefire supplies. Well I don't really like that idea cause I want it mounted on the gun perminantly, with less additional junk holding it there. So I asked them what the problem with mounting it on the Glock rails and the tech stated that with the light mounted on the Glock rails it stiffened up the Glock frame so much that it causes the slide to travel back and forth so fast that it either jams the gun or fails to even strip a bullet from the magazine.

So, my actual question for everyone (being that I forgot to ask the tech, I know, my bad.) is, will adding Wolff extra power springs in the magazines and putting a stainless steel recoil rod with a 22# recoil spring totally eliminate this problem, help fix it part way, or make it worse?

I would think it would either fix it all together or pretty close to it because I think having the heavier recoil spring will help slow down the slide (if indeed it is moving too fast), and the extra power pushing up on the rounds in the mag would get them up and ready to be stripped and fed into the chamber faster.

Correct? Wrong? Any thought? Thanks everyone for any help you can provide me with and have a nice night. ;I

2. Nomaster

Nomaster

Don't mean to step on any toes here but have you considered an M3 Tactical Illuminator? Cost about a third of what the surefire does, is waterproof, easy to operate, does not interfere with the function of the gun, mounts to the factory rail, and if you're worried about durability I accidentally shut mine in the hood of my sisters Blazer which she then proceeded to drive all over town for 4 hours. When she got home we had to pry the hood loose on the truck and there it was on top of the radiator no worse for the trip and it still works. I don't see how it could get much better and certainly not another $300 worth. JMHO

3. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Nope, didn't step on toes at all. :) Actually I already have the Streamlight M3 and its not a bad little light. Looking at it the M3 here in my hand I actually don't see how it can be waterproof. I see how it could be water resistant but near as I can tell there is nothing actually preventing water from entering where the batteries and bulb are. If I am truly incorrect about it not being waterproof I appologize.

The Surefire M111 that I'm going to be getting though will be waterproof and can be submerged under water for some time and not have the water get to the batteries and bulb. :) And another big selling point is that with the M3 its only about 90 lumens and the M111 I'm going to use is going to be 125 or 225 lumens (haven't decided exactly which I'm going to go with yet, will do some testing first).

About the only other complaint I would have against the M3 is that when I use it on my Glock 22 it seems to actually get beat to death by the recoil. Functions and operates 110% just fine on my Glock 19 but once its on the 22 its like the recoil is just too much for the little light. Although from what I've seen and heard it seems to be just mine, but thats okay, I'll keep it with the 19. :)

Thank you again for your response. :) Hopefully will hear more from others. Have a great day. ;I

4. Ominous

Ominous

I have a Glock 21 with the M111D and the included rail is actually really secure. It slides on the existing picatiny rail and screws onto the front of the trigger guard. I'd give it a shot before you abandon all hope.

Ominous

5. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

The springs thing you mentioned may work. I believe seeing a post where some police dept. had to have new springs and such for their Glocks due to this particular reason. Perhaps changing the recoil spring and being sure the distibutor or whoever has a good return policy just in case.