Glock 35 .40, how durable for IPSC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dariandev, Feb 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Dariandev

Dariandev Guest

A old friend of mine is contemplating the switch to Austrian tupperware and the .40"cartridge. This is quite a move for him as he's a dyed in the wool 9mm fan and shoots a CZ75 in IPSC competition.

Unfortunately, his CZ is now worn out and uneconomically repairable!

He has thus asked me to find out how durable the Glock 35 Prac/Tac model is?

How have you guys found the G35 to hold up to quite a lot of shooting Major loads? (+- 3000-5000rounds per anum)

Do slides and frames hold up OK? What about components like sears and springs, how often do thay need replacement?

Is the stock barrel OK with loads making 170-175 Factor? Do the magazines last if they take a falling to the ground on fast reloads?

Please, competition shooters using the G35, let me know the good and bad points of this gun so that he may make an informed choice.

Many thanks.

2. Halojumper

Halojumper

Dave Sevigny uses one and he's one of, if not THE, top competitor.

3. Dingus

Dingus

In FBI testing, the .40 caliber Glocks held up to 20,000 rounds in four days. I expect they will hold up to a mere 5,000 rounds per year.

4. Steve 48

Steve 48

I have used a Glock 35 for Action Pistol for 6 years andd have never regretted it. I have put a KKM barrel and Millett adjustable sights on mine and its about as accurate as I can shoot it. Steve48

5. Joe D

Joe D Guest

My old G35 had over 100,000 rounds through it when sold. I have seen Glocks with over 300,000 rounds through them. You cannot wear them out.

6. Carlitos

Carlitos

yeah - but none of the posters referred to actual USPSA use (besides Sevigny - and I believe Glock will replace his G35 if it breaks - only a guess).

A good friend & shooting partner Vlad used his 35 in USPSA with no breakage, other than, if I recall, a trigger spring. Beyond that, the only other Glock failures I have seen in USPSA were: a locking block (G17) and assorted springs. My 17 survived a 9mm minor case failure with only yhe loss of a slide stop.

Tell you friend that a 35 will hold up fine loaded to Major. Don;'t waste $$ on replacement barrel unless you use lead or the accuracy is horrible (has happened). Just tell him to get Warren sights, a Kydex holster and soltello trigger kit (plus lots of ammo & spare mags).

7. reloader550

reloader550

I had a chat with a glock rep(District Manager)at cabelas two years ago about the durability of the G17,he informed me that the factory has two G17s and a G22 with over 1 million rounds through each pistol! He did state that the guns have gone through small parts breakages but the slide, frame, and barrel have never been replaced. He gave me his card and told me to give him a call if I ever broke anything on my glock,he would personally send me any part I needed replaced.

I have yet to call this man for any parts,though I have not owned my Glock 17(4years) as long as I have my Beretta 92(12 years),which is why I had originally asked the question. I went through three locking blocks and now have a crack in the frame of my Beretta 92 it sits in my gun safe waiting to go back to the factory. Beretta said they would replace the frame at cost but could not give me a price over the phone, if I do get the frame replaced, I will sell it and get another Glock for sure!!

Go out and buy the Glock 35, shoot the snot out of it and if you wear it out email me and I will give you this mans name and number cause Im sure he will want to see what a WORN OUT glock looks like!

ENJOY and HAPPY GLOCKING!!!!!!!!
    Glocks I own,
    G17(second gen)
    G22(third gen)
    G35(third gen)

8. Joe D

Joe D Guest

A Glock used as a rental gun for an indoor range gets far more abuse than a life time of USPSA use. 300,000 rounds of Major PF is hard on any gun. Clean and lube the guns? They got that every 6 months whether they needed it or not.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Consider this, even if the Glock doesn't hold up quite as well as a well built STI, you can buy 4 G35s for the cost of one STI. As for mags, they hold up well, but just buy extras. An STI magazine is $60+. How many G35 mags can you get for that???

10. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Bucky, you have better not make that statement over on www.brianenos.com
    They will tar and feather you for talking that way about the STI/SVI guns. How dare you imply that the STI guns are overpriced!!!!! You just don't understand that buying a $1800 Edge will catapult you to at least Master maybe even Grand Master the first match you use it.

11. Carlitos

Carlitos

HAHAHA - that is true - but the REALLY funny part is that the National Limited and former L-10 champ chose a GLOCK - & used it to beat EVERY S_I that showed up! American Handgunner? (hint - not an S_I). World Champ's Open gun? (same).

I am sick and tired of the thinking that only a S_I can be competitive in USPSA now that the AWB is over and there are SO many other options (including the Glock).

12. eclipse1

eclipse1 Guest

can we use the g35 for IPSC?
    sevigny chose a glock because glock is his employer, he is paid to shoot glocks.
    as for him being the L10 and limited nationals champ, its the indian not the arrow.
    it is wrong to say that only S_I are competitive in USPSA.

13. kinsco

kinsco

eclipse,

You are correct that Dave chose Glock b/c it is his employer, but Dave can write his own ticket and chose anything he wants and that company would pick him up for sponsorship in a heartbeat.

Plus, Dave shot Glock from the beginning when he was not sponsored and Glock was not his employer.

14. fatcat01

fatcat01

A G35 is GREAT for USPSA limited class. I recently changed over from an STI "Edge" clone. Even with a Tungsten Guide rod and heavy Dawson's mag well, it's still ligher than my old STI. Handles faster. If the hottest load you run is a 180 grn bullet going 925 fps to make major, your gun will last a long time.

15. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

The G35 is a fine choice.

16. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

Been shooting IPSC and USPSA since the beginning. Nothing has performed more reliably or more predictably for me than the G35. Take that for what it is worth, which ain't much, but oh well. You saw it here on the inter-web so it must be true. :)

Jim

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

:rofl: 3,000-5,000 rounds will barely break it in - it ain't a 1911. If you friend shoots 5,000 rounds a year, he will need to look at replacing the recoil spring and guide rod about every 10 years, but it probably won't really be necessary. Check out the gun mags and you'll find some articles about various writers' multi-100,000 round Glocks.
    They hold up a lot better than steel or aluminum. I've been shooting Glocks since about 1989 and I've never had a part break or require replacement, so I mainly go by what I read and the fact that my main Glock 17, bought used, has gone through 30,000-40,000 without a breakage, worn part OR A SINGLE MALFUNCTION.
    Factory EWinchester White Box is major ammo in .40 S&W. Most standard .40 is major so it doesn't take any special equipment to shoot major loads in a .40.
    Yes, they last fine. My wife and I have been using the same mags in classes and matches for years, on gravel, concrete, mud, etc., they have been stepped on dropped and thrown hundreds of times each and I have never even disassembled them for cleaning. Still function perfectly.
    I believe Dave Sevigny used a Glock 35 to win the USPSA Limited Nationals last year - I'm not sure which Glock model he used to win the IDPA Nationals. I'm sure people are still telling him 1911's are better for competition, but I doubt if he cares.

18. kinsco

kinsco

I believe Sevigny uses a 34 for IDPA. Its either a 34 or a 17, but Im pretty sure it is a 34, I know it has been a 34 in the past.

The G35 he used to win the Lim 10 Nats in 05, a G34 to win Prod Nats and a G35 to win Limited Nats in 06. He also just won High Limited at Fl Open and beat Todd Jarrett. Todd was shooting his custom Dawson as usual. Dave is something else!!!

19. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb Guest

I've used one for 3 years now.. with 170-175 PF ammo.. 180 gr plated, 185gr moly coated, and 180gr jacketed bullets.

They hold up fine.

Recomend changing springs at the start of the new shooting season or every 5000 rds... Is this needed? not really but it's what i've been told, frankly I don't know how expensive parts are for you, so change them if things stop working.. Your gonna see that your not going to have to change them very often. I would keep replacements in your range bag just in case. All readly avialable..

Stock barrel is just fine, some folks have complained of accuracy issue's with the stock barrels.. and have wanted a more fully supported chamber.. or wanted to shoot lead through them.. I use the stock barrel.. works just fine.

Sights.. Probably the biggest issue for the Glocks, everyone i know in competition shooting has changed both front and back sights.. Most folks think the stock sights are junk.. There are a huge number of available replacements.. suggest that you do change them.

The Grip angle on the Glock is going to be different then His CZ.. The Trigger is going to be VERY different even if you drop in a replacement.. Some folks don't mind the grip angle and or just get used to it, some can't stand it.. Same thing for the trigger.

Magazines for the glocks are plentiful and cheap. Add on parts and direct replacement parts are plentiful and cheap.. Having said that please keep in mind i'm talking about the US.. i'm not sure what your situation would be..

The weapon will most likely out last you then you outlasting it shooting.

Good luck.

Jeff.

20. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Have no fears, they will last a long time. My Limited 35 has over 80,000 major rounds through and is nowhere near being worn out.