Glock 34 vs. S&W MP 9Pro

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cwprint, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. cwprint

cwprint Millennium Member

Hello All,

I am looking for a somewhat larger 9mm for IDPA and practical shooting schools. I have a G19 and carry it very frequently but lately I've had the desire for something a little larger. I have never shot either but have held them on a number of occasions. If you take the whole "what fits my hand better" out of the equation and just go by fit/finish, reliability, etc which one would you recommend? Those that have either, do you carry it concealed? what holster do you use?

Thanks,

CW

2. Cartouche

Cartouche

I am not bashing the S&W but can say with out a doubt and from experience the G34 is the best Glock made. I know it maybe debateable but I CCW and train with it on a regular basis. With a good AIWB holster like the ArchAngel from Dale Frike, at One Source Tactical it just disapears in concealment.
    I have carried and shot it in class, thousands of rounds and not one malfunction. I can't say that about the Smith, I have never owned one. I am sure it is a good weapon. If I did not have a 34 it would be a 17. I have a 17L, but you can't shoot that in IDPA from what I understand. I went from a 1911 to the 34 some time ago and never looked back. It is basicly the same size just a smaller caliber, but I like having the capacity. Adj sights, which I am going to change out to Tru Glos or Warren Tacticals, I just haven't decided yet. I have the TG's on a G30 and really like them. The adj sights on there are ok, just not needed in what I want in a weapon. Good luck, you won't go wrong with a G34. One thing else, you can always make a 17 out of it if you want a shorter ccw weapon.

3. MarkTX

MarkTX

If you're gonna stick with the G19 for carry then the G34 is your only right choice here.

The M&P is the only serious contender with the Glock in IDPA SSP and I advise folks to just pick their favorite and go shoot a million rounds. At the end of the day it will be the Indian not the arrows (or the bow) that determines the outcome.

I'll stick with the Glock becuase I'm heavily trained and invested in the line and a switch would not improve my scores. But for folks just starting this path it really is a choice with no down sides.

4. JonInWA

JonInWA

The G34 is a refined, proven platform. I think that the M&P is very, very good, but there are still issues that surface indicating that it's a bit of a work in progress.

I chose the G34, both for its intrinsic qualities/value, and because I have significant muscle memory (and equipment) built up on the Glock platform.

Mine is used for IDPA, steel plate competition, GSSF, and carry (yes, carry-c'mon, it's only about the same length as a Government-size 1911, and significantly lighter).

I use a Blade-Tech Nano IWB holster for concealed carry/IDPA, and have been very satisfied with it.

Best, Jon

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I've never shot the G34, but my buddy has the G35 and I have the M&P Pro9. I like the M&P alot better. WAY better trigger and more accurate. Now, I know I'm comparing a .40 to a 9mm in the accuracy dept, but the trigger is still going to be the same on a G34 as it is on a G35.

6. aeroengr

aeroengr

Never shot a S&W, but I have shot a G34 and I own a G19. Personally I like the shot of the G34 better in comparison to the G19. So if you like your G19, I'm confident you will like the G34.

7. Edonis13

Edonis13

there is a guy that posts on here (his screen name is eluding me right now) who shoots lots of competetions. he used to shoot a G34 but then switched over to a M&P and says he wont be going back. He has lots of posts in the competetive shooting sub-forum, im sure a search in there will get you some good info.

8. venenoindy

venenoindy

had both and I take the G34 any day, both pros and cons so you have to try both and comes down to preference.

9. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

You know how guns are---there is no one gun that is best for everyone. I recommend you rent them both and see how they feel.

Having said that......I cannot remember the last M&P I saw in USPSA/IDPA. They are just not there where I shoot. The G34 is simply the King of Production and has the most wins in USPSA production / IDPA SSP.

A very long way of saying.....the Glock is PROBABLY the best choice for you, but not necessarily. You have to see how they feel.

10. HK Dan

HK Dan

Ya know, if I weren't so heavily invested in GLOCK--money, training, time--I'd shoot the M&P. That new sear makes a HUGE difference in the trigger, they sit nice and low, and they're just a great gun overall.

That's not to knock the G34--I shoot a G35 in Limited and do rather well. Of the two guns, I don't think either one will make a serious impact on your score. It's less about the arrow than the indian, if that makes sense. You'll do fine with either one, and I don't think either will give you an advantage.

Now, the M&P mags are more expensive. Accessories, while somewhat limited for Production anyway, will be more commonly available for the GLOCK,but M&P is coming online.

Have fun--the decision is yours, my friend. Either gun will do what you make it do.

11. B_RAD

B_RAD

I've owned both. I say owned because I sold the M&P Pro for a loss. Buy the G34. If you don't like it you'll have no problem selling it. I really didn't like the M&P. I've had two a Pro and the fullsize. The triggers might seem to be better but I like the Glock triggers more. I actually like the glock with the standard connector vs the 3.5# connerctor but that's just me.

12. bac1023

bac1023

The M&P Pro is a great pistol.

13. addict

addict

My wife runs a M&P Pro for USPSA. The variable back straps, and factory fiber optic sight are good for Practical Pistol competition. Much better trigger than a glock out of the box. They are more difficult to detail strip than a Glock, but you can find a tutorial online and make the trigger even nicer. Apex makes a great aftermarket sear that will help it even more. After ~4K rounds some of the local shooters have started to get failures to extract. Inconsistent and very troubling problem if you want to score well.
    I like the Glock better as they are so easy to work on and you can get the trigger acceptable without to much work. Lots of aftermarket variety if you decide to tart it up and it should last through more ammo than most can afford. Cheap mags and all kinds of holsters/mag pouches.

Both are comparable in terms of fit and finish. I think the most important thing would be where does each naturally point for you. If you want to shoot fast you need a gun that will hit where you want it too without having to mess around with the sight alignment when you draw. Pick each up and see where the sights are for you.:highfive:
    Addict

14. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Agree fully with the last post. Just got to pick each up and see how they feel and point. The more natural it feels, the better that you'll like and shoot it.

Last thing though.... the Glock has a huge aftermarket following while the M&P is still comparably in development. You'll be more apt to find what you need with Glock and more limited with the S&W.

15. CynicX

CynicX

I think when comparing these two. The things that you want left out (how it feels in your hand, etc) are going to be the most important.

I have a friend that owns both and I shoot them a lot (I love both) and both of them are way more accurate then I'll ever be but the M&P feels better in my hand and I end up shooting better with it...

16. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

That would be me. :)

[​IMG]

The Glock 34 was what I shot for the first two years. What I made Master with.

I switched to the M&P mainly out of curiosity, and also because I'm a lefty and the idea of actually having controls where my thumb could use them seemed like it would be worth trying.

The Glock is more reliable. Throw a 13lb ISMI spring on the factory guide rod, add a set of Sevigny Competition sights, a couple strips of grip tape, and you're ready to rock. Play with the trigger how you like, but I wound up going back to pretty much stock after playing with Vanek and Glockworx and a host of DIY mods.

You have to mod the Glock until it stops running. I had to mod the M&P 9L to get it to run. It takes more TLC, in my opinion. Two years from now, I think they'll be neck and neck... S&W has made multiple revisions and redesigns to the M&P throughout it's life to date, and it'll get there.

If you required me to give up one of the two, I would reluctantly hand you the Glock. I am not switching back to Glock. Period. The M&P has vastly superior ergonomics, I can complete the entire reload without shifting my firing grip in the slightest, is fully ambidextrous... and I just plain find it easier to shoot fast. I like the way the gun handles in recoil more, and it's not as muzzle-heavy so I like the way it transitions just a bit quicker, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  17. MarkTX

MarkTX

While I find ecmills evaluation fascinating -especially coming from a lefty who is at master level... I'm still convinced IDPA shooters who carry G19's should play the game with G34s (or even their carry G19).

I took a trainup last Dec from Gordon Carrell and he is amazing with that M&P, if I made that my carry gun I'd go all M&P and never look back. But I'm happy with my G27/G26 so when I play the games I gotta go Glock :cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  18. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

I carried a G19 and competed with a 34.

I currently carry a G19 and compete with the M&P.

When finances allow, I plan to buy a 4" M&P 9L for carry. Part of what is holding me back is that a S&W doesn't make a G19 sized weapon. They match the G26 and the G17 perfectly, with nothing in between. I personally think the G19 is the perfect size for a daily-carry fighting handgun.

19. Underwhere

Underwhere

I have shot IDPA for 2 years and am currently an expert in SSP.
    I started with the G34 and then I acquired a M&P 9Pro.

It was a disaster. The pro had many issues and I did not end up taking it to a match.
    True the ergonomics are better. The trigger can be made lighter very easily. However, it's not reliable for me.

I know of 2 other people local to me who had issues with their Pro. Specifically with front sight self drifting. I had that problem as well as failure to extract problems. I also had a burr on my take down lever. I know a guy who's rear sight slid off the slide while shooting. Not quite confidence inspiring but gives new meaning to the concept of "front sight front sight"

My Glock 34 has been cleaned only once and it has maybe 10-15k rounds through it. I welcome a malfunction but do not think I will see one anytime soon.

I was hopeful in making the switch to M&P but I don't think I will be buying another M&P anytime soon. Maybe if I was left handed it would be more appealing to me.

Some pics: (My Pro does look better than my Glock...but that's about it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is when I noticed I had a front sight issue. Target at 30 feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I recentered the front sight and shot this target
    [​IMG]
    Then took some more shots and then it drifted itself again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  20. FireGuy

FireGuy Into The Breach CLM

I carry Glocks and compete in USPSA with a G34. The reason is simple - they have the same bits in the same places. You don't want to find yourself trying to thumb down a mag release that's not there. This is especially true for left handers.

So - if you are going to compete with one then carry the same.

Just my advice - and as always - YMMV... ;)