close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 34 slide release & Grip

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Doc_d, Sep 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Doc_d

Doc_d

Am I the only one that has a problem with the glock 34 extended slide release?

If I get a proper grip (both thumbs pointed at the target), the thumb from my right hand touches the slide release. Apparently this causes me to inadvertantly push the release during recoil which prevents the slide from locking on the last round. I know, I know, quit running the gun dry dummy! ;) I'm new so I still occasionally lose my round count and run the gun dry. Because the slide doesn't lock back, it really costs me a lot of time.

I've tried adjusting my grip, but run into an even worse problem. If I try to force my right thumb under the slide release, I inadvertantly push up on the slide release during recoil. This causes the slide to lock back after every shot.

The only way I can get the thumb on my right hand low enough, is to hang the thumb on my left hand out in mid air next to the trigger guard.

Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
    Todd

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I had the same problem with mine when I got it but solved the whole deal with a purchase(just a few bucks) & installation of a standard slide release. Problem is gone! Evidently some thumbs are just the right length for this to happen. Only thing you need to know to order the right release is whether your gun is a 2 pin or a 3 pin. 5532jwk has all the parts at very good prices, by the way. MLM

3. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001

quote "If I get a proper grip (both thumbs pointed at the target), the thumb from my right hand touches the slide release. Apparently this causes me to inadvertantly push the release during recoil which prevents the slide from locking on the last round." quote

Doc I used to have the same problem with the thumbs forward grip. Not just with the extended mag release but with a regular one too. I even emailed Matt Burkette about it.The bottom of my support hand thumb was elevating the right hand thumb enough that it made it even with the slide release .What I ended up having to do (consciously at first )was to put the tip of my strong hand thumb on the bottom joint of my support hand thumb. This only moves it away from the slide release by a fraction of an inch but it keeps me from hitting it and the slide locks back after the last round now.I had to do this repeatedly in dryfire for it to become natural but it saves time in IDPA for me to reload from slide lock that way then to reload then rack the slide. Hope that helps you.

Mike

4. C9X19

C9X19

I put a little piece of skateboard tape in that spot to prevent my thumb from rolling/moving onto the release.

5. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I take the extended slide stop/release out and replace it with a non-extended one.

6. TC Rider

TC Rider

I never had this problem till last week. I took a class to clean up some bad habits I had. The instructor worked over my grip. Not the slide goes forward instead of locking when empty. It's definately a problem for me in IDPA.

I'll probably have the release on my 34 replaced with the standard one.

7. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001

I jinxed myself posting here earlier. I didn't get the proper grip on two different IDPA stages this past Saturday at a club match and the slide didn't lock back. Really hurt me on the stages but I am glad it happened there because I should have been shooting the NC IDPA State Championship instead and I don't want it happening there.