close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 34 slide not always locking back

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DAL, Apr 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DAL

DAL

A few months ago, I bought a used Glock 34. Today, I finally got around to taking it to the range. To my surprise the slide started intermittently failing to lock back. I never had this problem with my Glock 26 or 36. I tried new and old magazines with the same result. Also, there was one FTF (my first with any Glock) and several stovepipes where the head (primer end) of the case was sticking up. (I've had stovepipes before in non-Glock guns, but the mouth of the case was always facing up. I don't know if this is significant or not, but I thought I'd mention it.)

I went to my local gun store and asked someone about it. He said it could be ammo related (I was using Miwall factory reloads--I've never had a problem with them before in the 26 or a CZ-75), or it could be the slide stop is worn or gunked up. I checked the feel (spring tension) of my 26 compared to the 34 and the 26 definitely seems to have more tension to it. Is that normal?

The big problem I'm facing is getting this issue resolved soon. I have a tactical pistol class on May 8 and 9 I want to use this gun in. If need be, I'll use the 26, but the 34 seems to take much less effort to shoot well.

Any input is welcome.
    DAL

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If I remember right the 34 comes with a Extended slide release leaver. You could be holding it down with your thumb.

3. gary newport

gary newport

The G34 has an extended slide "stop" lever, so there is the possibility that you are interacting with it while firing.

If the spring tension seems soft, the lever may have been installed incorrectly, or may be just worn out.

Do try some different ammo, just to see if that is part of the problem. And you might want to give the gun a good cleaning, if you haven't done so already.

My G34 has gone through about 4,000 rounds with absolutely NO failures of any kind, so don't give up on the gun!

4. DAL

DAL

I never thought of the possibility that I might be hitting the extended slide release. Of course, I don't think I am, but I am often wrong, especially when it comes to my shooting technique (if it can be called so lofty a thing as a technique). Hmmm, this bears further research. Thanks for the tip.
    DAL

5. Surly

Surly Paroled 8/10/05

With all of the other problems, besides the slide stop, you may consider a rigid guide rod and a Wolff 16# spring combo. I had about the same problems with Ultrasux and Black Hills seconds. For the hotter loads (carry ammo) I use a 17# (factory weight) spring. The possible lighter loadings with the heavier spring may not be allowing the slide to go all the way rearward (causing the stovepipes) and would account for the slide stop not engaging.

6. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

That's where I would start looking!

7. jhl72

jhl72

I recently bought a used like new G36 and was having the same problem with the slide not locking back after the last round. I changed the slide stop lever out for a new factory one and this has solved the problem. It seems somehow the one that came with the gun was slightly bent.

8. DAL

DAL

You guys are good! I changed my grip on the 34 and, PRESTO!, no more problems. Thanks for the advice.
    DAL