close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 34 slide failure

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TomH, Nov 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. TomH

TomH

One week ago I sent one of my glock 34's to Glock,Smyrna for a review of the metal failure of the slide. The slide had two cracks on it. The first was on the left side of the ejection area fron top to botton right at the front radius, the other was on the right side of the ejection area in the middle it ran about half way down. Has any one else had this experience??
    I have fired about 5000 rounds through the pistol. I use factory ammo Federal,Winchester and sometimes Remington no reloads.

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Wow. No, I've not heard of any G34 problems like this before; but I don't hear everything, either. :)

My G34 is well over 5000 rounds now; hope you got the only "bad" one (no offense).

As far as you know, was the weapon (or just the slide) ever dropped on a hard surface, like concrete?

3. TomH

TomH

No not to my knowledge and I am the only person who handeles my pistol.
    I am waiting for glock to let me know their findings.
    I have since thought about what could have happend had the right side of the slide completely fractured while I was firing the pistol the results could have been very very bad for me.

4. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

You don't have any pictures, do you?

5. TomH

TomH

Well my pistol came back today fast service; however, I am very unhappy, they replaced the slide under waranty, but offered no explanation for the failure. The new slide now has a strange numer on it which does not match the serial number of the barel and frame. So not only do I not know why the slide fractured, but I now have a glock pistol with non matching serial numbers. I am a GSSF member and will try and phone them on friday to ask for either a new pistol or have them match the original serial number on the slide. No I did not take any photo and I now realy belive i should have

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Well, it probably won't make you feel any better, but I'll go ahead and tell you that I figured Glock would use a different-numbered slide for replacement, just because that's the way they do things. Glock's parts are imported to the USA, so they can't just whip-up a batch quickly, locally. Technically, the number on the slide and/or barrel is not a serial number, as that number is the one on the frame (according to the BATFE). The "neat-o" factor of having matching nnumbers on the slide, barrel, and frame is offset by the "oh poop" factor when something like this happens and one of the other parts must be replaced, which is probably one of the reasons why more gun makers don't do it.

If they were to match numbers on replacement parts, you might have to wait months to get another slide, and the cost to Glock would be much higher, which would have to be passed-on to Glock's customers. I feel your pain, but I also understand why they do it the way they do; it's just not cost-efficient to do it the other way.

You'll also find most, if not all, manufacturing companies somewhat hesitant to discuss the reasons for part failures, even if they know for sure what happened (and it's quite possible they don't). A bad batch of steel, poor heat-treating, perhaps a combination of both; we (and they) may never know.

Glad you got it back, fixed, quickly; I suggest you shoot it a bit and think it over before you talk to them. Just my two cents; may not be worth that much...

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Niner,

Good reply,you nailed it.I've never heard of glock inc. matching numbers on a replacement slide.

8. TomH

TomH

Thanks for the advice, it is my nature to want everything to be perfect, and it is good for me to get a dose of reality. I was even more disturbed when I noticed they had given me a new trigger group and I now have to spend a lot of time polishing and de horning. Thanks for your words i truly feel better.
    Tom Holder
    P.S. I will still call them and ask for a slide with matching numbers and request they pursue an answer to the reason for failure; however my expections will not be very high