close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 34 Sights??? New Glock Owner!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by geminidan, Jan 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. geminidan

geminidan

I just bought a new Glock 34, can anyone tell me if I would be smarter to install a set of "meprolights" or a "ghostring" night sight??? I have also seen the ghostring sight in a 1/2 moon circle??? This gun will be used primarily for the range, throw on the boat when fishing, and in the nightstand next to my bed......I am 54 y/o so the bigger and brighter the sight the better for me.........also does it pay to change the guide rod??? and any info on the plug for the hole in the bottom.....any ideas on the best sights would be appreciated.............Thanks Geminidan

2. 176Shooter

176Shooter

I have not used the ghost ring type, but I do have Meprolights on my glock. They are several years old now and they are still bright and clear. Much brighter than some PT night sights I have on another pistol. You should not need to change your guide rod. Stock Glocks tend to work well without modification. Some of those aftermarket parts may work well, but are not necessary. Some of them may make the pistol less reliable.

3. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

While i have no experience w/ ghost ring sights, I have heard time after time that this is not very suitable to a handgun.

Mepros are great, though.

Your Glock 34 comes w/ adj sights. I like having the adj on mine. U can get adj night sights, but they will cost a bit more.

4. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Unless you just want to throw money at your new toy, why not shoot it stock for a couple K rounds and look "hands on" at the various accessories available? Another guy's preferences for accessories may not be right for you.

Nightsights? They help you find the gun in the dark.

Change guiderod? Only if you play gun games or reload to low power. The stock system is great for factory ammo and ease of field stripping.

Butt plug? May help with speed reloads

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

+1 Shoot your 34 alot (great choice btw) and take a look at other sights on other people's guns, possibly by going to a GSSF or USPSA or IDPA match in your area if you must before buying. Sights are very much an individual thing & you can buy alot of them before finding the setup that best suits your eye. You may even like the sights that are on it... or simply replacing the front only with a Tritium dot version.

Forget the plastic plug entirely IMO.
    :)

6. geminidan

geminidan

Thanks for your replys.........The gun shoots very well, but because it is in the nightstand I would need to put the night sights on......... I will probably end up with the meprolights, and maybe the adjustable ones.......as far as guide rod and butt plug, forget it, more money for my ammo........Geminidan

7. izzyandal

izzyandal

The JPoint red dot with 8MOA reticle is the biggest single improvement for my G34. It enables me to shoot with both eyes open even though I shoot righty and am left-eye dominant.
    The sight is tiny and simple. It mounts on the slide and replaces the factory rear sight. It uses a mount that can be purchased for $229 with the sight included.
    Google JPoint and you will come up with the eabrown.com website for more info.
    Ilove the JPoint and will be putting them on more of my pistols.

8. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Post a pic of that bad boy :)

9. izzyandal

izzyandal

G34 with JPoint
    Notice that there are no bulky mounts that would interfere with the functioning of the pistol. The sight is low on the gun.
    Unlike some of the fancy mounts the JPoint requires no drilling nor lowering of the ejection port.

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

The Jpoint is neat but I'd still recommend initially finding the traditional sights that fit your eye/needs. Not sure about other than GSSF, but I think a dot takes you out of the stock categories should you want to begin shooting competitively (which your 34 was born to do). Just a thought; good luck.
    :)

11. izzyandal

izzyandal

In a GSSF match on Dec 17, I and several others used red dot sights.
    This was an official Glock match.

12. gary newport

gary newport

If so, you shot those red dot equipped Glocks in Master Unlimited--the ONLY division in GSSF that allows optical sights--and NOT in stock divisions, which is what Wig said!

13. izzyandal

izzyandal