Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would y'all recommend for my G34? Getting a ported barrel allowingWhich would work better to reduce the flip? Gas to escape through the 34's cutout to reduce muzzle flip? Or, a threaded barrel with a muzzle break on it to reduce the muzzle flip? I guess just buying a ported barrel would be cheaper than having to buy a threaded barrel AND a muzzle break as well. But, aside from that, which would work better? I have to add that I have a Tritium front sight. And a red-dot rear. I heard somewhere that the muzzle blast dirty's the front sight on ported barrels. I'm not sure if the same happens with a muzzle break, does it? Please help me if you can. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
A well-tested add-on muzzle break compensator from a known company will be most effective, I believe, but will also add more weight and bulk (the added weight is one of the reasons it will be more effective, in most cases).

I think one of the aftermarket barrel companies also makes a 4-port ported barrel for the G34, with two ports that vent up through the slide cut, and two more out in front of the slide, on an extended muzzle portion of the barrel. Not sure how that would compare.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Compensators and porting are most commonly done for competition. Tritium sights are not typical for competition. So I'm curious what your goal for the gun/comp/port is? Home defense or range (or both)?

The Glock "C" models do dirty the front sight. With fiber optic sights this can get annoying because it's hard to clean the fiber rod. I now use a solid black front sight on my C models - mainly because I like it but also because it eliminates the dirty fiber rod. I can't speak to how it would affect a tritium tube. I would think the tube would wipe off fairly easily but that is an assumption on my part.

While I love shooting my C models, I found that changing my range ammo from 115gr to 147gr made a greater difference in recoil than the compensation did when comparing 115gr in both types of guns. If you haven't tried heavier ammo, I'd suggest testing it out before spending the money for compensated. It may be all you want/need.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ported barrels don't do much to control muzzle rise but do have a VERY small effect to reduce rearward recoil felt in the hand.

A good comp has more effect on reducing muzzle rise. LWD comps are junk. Carver has the most effective comp going right now for Glocks.

You also need to fiddle with recoil springs as the comp robs energy from cycling the slide.

You also need to hand load to get the most benefit from a comp as you need slower powder combined with lighter bullets to gain the most benefit from a comp.

You can also combine popple holes with a comp but that's another deep discussion on tuning.

Be forewarned that comps are simply not plug n play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts