Glock 34 or 35 for competition?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JasonR, Feb 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JasonR

JasonR Guest

I'm looking to get into competition...and was wondering if I should look at the Glock 34 or 35? I have had a 17 before...but wasn't a HUGE fan. Glock seems like a good entry in the competition world...

2. mmc45414

mmc45414

You can get a conversion barrel for the 34 but not the 35.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about, I'm not sure he is either.

If you didn't like the 17, the 34 won't be much different, and the 35 is like the 34 but with more recoil.

4. Ruffshot

Ruffshot

It depends on what type of competition and if power factor is an issue or not. I went with the G35 and don't regret it. You can load the .40 down for lower power factors.

5. mmc45414

mmc45414

Oops... 35/34, 34/35, tomAto, tomOto...

you can convert the 40 to 9mm, but not the opposite.

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

You can't use a conversion in IDPA without going into enhanced service pistol. Its best to buy the gun in the caliber you want instead of swapping back and forth. This is comming from someone who used to have a lot of guns set up as 40, 357 sig and 9mm's. Its a waste of time.
    Pat

7. mmc45414

mmc45414

Good point, he did say he specifically wanted this for competition.

Sounds like we are about to step back on a familiar slippery slope: “Should I buy a 40 or a 9mm?” :rofl:

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

IF you want to shoot USPSA limited only, get the .40 because you can shoot major power factor with factory ammo (i.e., WWB from Wal Mart). If you want to shoot more than that, get the 9mm G34. The Glock 34 and the 9mm caliber generally are the very popular and competitive in IDPA (SSP and ESP divisions), GSSF and IPSC/USPSA Production (if you are shooting outside the US I don't know about G34 in IPSC production, but it is OK in USPSA production). In short - for self defense they say "shoot the biggest caliber you can control" but for competition it's "shoot the smallest caliber that doesn't give you a scoring disadvantage under the rules." If there was no caliber requirement, everybody would shoot .22.

9. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Here's the determining question. Do you reload or plan to? If the answer is yes go with the G35. If you plan on shooting very much you WILL reload. The G35 is the most versatile gun. It can be competitive in Limited, Lim. 10, Production, SSP and ESP.
    The G35, when downloaded, is softer than a G34. BTDT many times. My G34 has more flip at a 128 PF than my G35 at a 140 PF.
    Another thing to consider is 9mm RN holes are very difficult to see in a target that has been pasted a good bit.
    If you want a cheap practice setup get a LWD 9mm conversion barrel.

10. JasonR

JasonR Guest

I was going to go with the .40 because of the power factor...

My dad has a TON of reloading equipment...but it's probably at least 10-15 years old but it's still brand new. Is there any reason I'd have to update it?

11. glock_556

glock_556

How can a G35 at 140 PF have less "flip" than a G34 at 128PF?

Aren't they essentially the same gun?

12. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The G35 is heavier for one thing. My load for my wife's G34 goes 876 fps for a 10 shot average. That is with a 147 gr bullet. I use a 180 gr bullet in my G35 at 778 fps. The recoil pulse/cycle of the G35 is softer. Both guns have a 12# recoil spring.

13. glock_556

glock_556

Joe D,

The G35 is 1.6 oz. heavier per Glocks specs.

GLOCK 35 .40
    SYSTEM
    Safe Action
    WEIGHT
    695 g / 24.52 oz.

GLOCK 34 9x19
    SYSTEM
    Safe Action
    WEIGHT
    650 g / 22.92 oz.

24.52 - 22.92 = 1.6 oz.

Does 1.6 oz really make that much difference?

14. JasonR

JasonR Guest

So the 34 or 35? Still don't know!

15. BerKim

BerKim

Jason.. what type of competition?

I have both, and use them interchangibly, but the G34 has an advantage (for me) in 3Gun matches that don't score major/minor, I can hold 23+1, and it weighs less doing it.

90% of the time, it doesn't matter.. use what feels better to you.

Like people metioned before.. a lot of people like the way the G35 feels when loaded minor.

The whole load your own thing is a whole different discussion, based on how much you shoot.

16. Joe D

Joe D Guest

556, bottom line is the G35 shoots softer than the G34. I have put more than enough rounds through each to know the difference.

17. glock_556

glock_556

Joe D,

I wasn't picking on you, I was just curious as to how the 35 could shoot softer than the 34. I'm sure that loaded the weight difference would be more substantial.

18. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I think the issue is the heavier bullet. I am going to try some 160 gr 9mm bullets just for grins. My only concern is if they will stabilize.

19. joseywales

joseywales

All this talk about which Glock to get...G34 or G35...9mm or .40S&W...hmmmm...
    C'mon everyone, we ALL know what the right answer is...Get both!!!:banana:

But if you just HAVE to pick one right now, here's another 2-cents.
    The G34 is cheaper to shoot than the G35, whether you shoot factory ammo or your own reloads (about 1/2 cost).
    That translates into more practice rounds, and a faster competitive improvement pace (worthy considerations).
    I have both, love both, but shoot G34 in USPSA/Production (147gr bullet, 3.2g Titegroup).

FWIW, check out .40 S&W Minor v. 9mm Minor in USPSA Production division (look at Post #13 for the article)

And welcome to the world of competitive shooting. Be forewarned, it's terribly addicting!

20. glock_556

glock_556

joseywales

Very interesting article. I now see what Joe D was saying.

Thanks for the knowledge, but I think I'll stick with my 147gr 9mm