Glock 34 Glock 34 Gen 5 versus Sig Legion X%

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cladd, Jul 13, 2020.

1. cladd

cladd

I am looking at purchasing a Glock 34 Gen 5 or a Sig Legion X5. I will be using the pistol for range work, home defense and plinking. I know there is a significant difference in weight - 26 ounces for the Glock 34 and 43 ounces for the Legion X5. Is the difference in recoil noticeable between these 2 pistols? I currently have a CZ Shadow 2 that I will be trading in on one of these pistols. The Shadow is a great gun with terrific trigger however I have found it too heavy for extended range time (I'm 72 and the weight does make a bit of a difference). I like the fact the Gen 5 34 does not have a slide cut out - never was a fan of that. Is the Sig trigger similar to the 34? All thoughts and opinions appreciated.

2. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

IMHO - Glock 34 gen 5 MOS!

The weight difference alone convinces me.

Glock 34's shoot great without bothersome recoil - IMO.

I wouldn't think twice. ;)

shooterMcGee likes this.

3. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I can only say that the difference in weight will make the Legion have less recoil. It's over a pound difference and with 9mm, that's huge. The 34, however (I'm going off my Gen 4's), has a mild recoil that is completely controllable out of the box. IMO, the OEM 34 is one of the best rapid fire handguns I've shot.

Willard likes this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Maybe we see things differently, but all else roughly equal, if you're looking for a gun that's easy to shoot, I'd be leaning toward the heaviest one that fits the application.

I have a fair amount of time on the Shadow, and a lot of time on the 34. The Shadow's added mass is a significant advantage.

-JCN- likes this.
  5. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

If the CZ is too heavy for you, so is the Legion.

The triggers are better in the CZ and Sig, but the stock Gen 5 triggers are fine.

Have you considered a G17 with Comp? This combo can be set up slightly lighter and softer shooting than the stock 34.

Willard and -JCN- like this.
  6. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Glock has caused me to be the un-trigger snob. It's amazing what you can get used to. To me, the Glock trigger feels like my hot, tap water instant coffee, every morning...........just like home. ;)

OdinIII likes this.
  7. -JCN-

-JCN-

This. I would keep the Shadow 2 and invest in some arm weights and grip strengtheners at home to make it easier at the range! Better fitness and an easier shooting gun!

Cambo likes this.
  8. JBP55

JBP55

Many in his age group have physical disabilities and are not able to use weights and grip devices to increase strength. I am in my mid seventies with many disabilities and unable to use either things you mentioned.

9. -JCN-

-JCN-

That may or may not be true, I run cardiac rehab for people in your age group and using therapy bands and cables you’d be surprised at how much range of motion and strength you can pick up!

I was making assumptions though based on him wanting to shoot 9mm out of a Legion weighing 43 oz, though.

If therapy wasn’t an option I would be expecting him to shoot a braced pistol, SBR or a 22LR pistol to compensate.

Willard and harold63 like this.
  10. Mrfixit2016

Mrfixit2016

Please don’t trade the shadow lol I have a CZ 75 SA that is the most accurate gun I’ve ever owned. Ill buy other guns but I’ll never give up my CZ lol I have one of their 22 rifles as well

shooterMcGee and Cambo like this.
  11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

For USPSA/IDPA competition, it's no contest. The heavier gun is always the easiest to manage recoil. The SIGX5 is the gun for USPSA Carry Optics Division.

Nick B likes this.
  12. cladd

cladd

Thanks for the responses - by the way I do own a CZ75B high polish that I shoot as well as the Shadow 2. It is at least 10 ounces lighter than the Shadow.

Cambo likes this.
  13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I agree with you. I run a half inch, air wrench all day. Has to weight 7 or 8 lbs plus the force of the air. Gun balance and all that doesn't mean much to me, but to a person with limitations, it can be a lot. At the same time, if a person can shoot a gun, they can do something to make it easier to shoot, no matter how little the amount is (amount of training muscles).

I hate to hear someone can shoot a gun but cannot train, any, to make shooting more pleasurable or God forbid...necessary.

-JCN- likes this.
  14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The gun itself is enough. Grip strength can come from the isometric aspect of gripping the gun. It's also possible to add weight to the gun for dry practice. That is a more holistic approach, IMO.

Back to the issue of mass in the gun as it applies to shooting. We are concerned with Hit Placement and also possibly Hit Factor. Former is simply the ability to make shots go where you want them, latter is doing that with a meaningful time parameter.

To place an accurate hit, you need to be able to establish an appropriate relationship between the sights and scoring surface, and maintain that relationship throughout the firing process. Obviously a heavier gun and lighter trigger works best there.

If we're talking about Hit Factor, there are 3 conditions from which the shooting can occur: draw, split and transition. Draw means bringing the gun from a non-firing to firing condition. Split means recovering the sights for an additional shot on one target. Transition means moving the gun from one target to another.

In the draw and transition modes, the most important attribute of the gun's mass is its ability to slow down and stop at a precise point. In the split mode, the most important attribute is the gun's ability to maintain level and minimize sight recovery time to the next shot.

Within reason, additional mass is a desirable characteristic in all of these situations. The only thing that's more important is the shooter's ability to grip the gun effectively, and that is primarily a factor on splits.

In slow fire, grip is much less important, because the gun can be repositioned for each shot. But for max precision, high mass/low trigger is still a substantial advantage.

I can get a higher HF with the 34 than the Shadow, because I can grip the Glock much better. And I can get a higher HF than either one with the Stock 2, because I can grip it almost as well as the 34 (in modified form) and it has way more mass and a better trigger (with a good trigger job) than the 34.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  15. -JCN-

-JCN-

I was thinking that at his age that the gun itself was TOO MUCH weight and he might be better served by lighter weights with more reps with stretching and ROM exercises that would also translate over to eventual range improvement.

Also by using bands and non-gun weights he can strengthen both sides at the same time and in ways that counter gravity (which comes in handy for resisting recoil and stabilizing muzzle rise). Just using a gun in dry fire misses the “upward” part of the muscles.

That’s what was going through my head. Like when I was working on weak hand, instead of using my competition gun with 9mm I started with 22LR and a Kadet kit on my competition frame. It was a lightweight workout until my strength and coordination improved.

Just got a 93% on “For That Day” classifier on the strength of my weak hand improvement!

harold63 likes this.
  16. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Good job. :)

So take the mag out or even take the slide off for dry fire. Of course you know much more about the medical side than I do, but I have a lot of experience with resistance training.

This is more like a kinesthetic enhancement, and less like getting your power total to 9 times body weight. And isometric strength is different from contractile strength.

Going way O/T, but this is in the direction of climbing 5.14 with a #5 plate tied on. Less than 5% of body weight, but your contact with the cliff is maybe 2 square inches total, and most of the interaction is dynamic.

We're talking 95% movement and 5% resistance, tops. Or... -10% resistance to get movement up to speed.

17. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

It's been joked about, here, a few times about duct taping the cut out, but I've actually tried it for giggles sake. The cheap duct tape does not work but the Gorilla tape, if the slide is clean when you put it on, stays put. I had a hard time getting the stuff off, too. I'd venture to say you'd only need it in SHTF.
    Ydropyourgen4inthesandwithducttapeontheslideandkeepshootingMMV

The Glock trigger is prolly in a class by itself. I don't knw of anything to really compare it to, but it is easy to get used to and enjoyable, IMO, if the action is smooth.

-JCN- likes this.
  18. cladd

cladd

Well I made the decision and just purchased the Glock 34 Gen 5 at my LGS. They happened to have both a Legion P320 X5 and Glock 34 Gen 5 in stock so I could handle them both. The immediate difference in weight made my mind up for me. The Legion X5 felt as heavy as my CZ Shadow 2 that I traded in which is fine if you want that weight (which I did not). I ended up trading even - the Glock 34 with tax was $760 and I was hoping for more of a trade in for my CZ Shadow 2 however at least I didn't have to pay anything. Thanks for all the advice! I just watched a utube video where someone installed a Dawson magwell on their 34 - looked really good and may have to have one.

boilergonzo likes this.
  19. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

:)

The weight! ;)

Great purchase.....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020