Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating my next pistol purchase for forever. I'm looking for something more target or competition oriented. I have my SD stuff covered with various glocks. Thought of a 1911/2011 in 45 or 9mm. Great triggers, heavy which I like, but may require work to keep them running right. Also thinking of an SP01 accu shadow. 8-10 week wait time though but a possibility.

So I might build up a 34 with a trigger kit, heavy magwell, sights, striker, and heavy guide rod. What's the best trigger kit out there with over travel adjustment? Better to go with a Ghost connector where there's a tab or better to go with an over travel screw?

I'm going to go to a range tomorrow that has kimber 45s and 9s to rent and an sp01. Might help me narrow it down. My biggest issue with glocks when shooting groups is my front sight wobble because of how light the slide is. With something heavy the front sight stays way more stable and planted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you decide what platform to to build up yet? Brian Enos forum will answer all your questions and some. Read through the CZ and Glock subforum threads for opinions and reviews

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For an action game pistol, save yourself a bunch of money and go with a 34. If you want target accuracy, spend the money for the Accu Shadow. Not many of us can wring the accuracy potential out of either platform. Just up to you how much accuracy you want to pay for.
s45

·
Just sayin'
4,640 Posts
I installed a Zev Technologies Fulcrum Ultimate trigger kit in my Glock 34. It is a very nice setup with an adjustable (pre-travel and over-travel) trigger. Also installed a Heinie Straight Eight two dot sight. My old Glock 19 gen 3 received the Zev Tech trigger kit implant a few months ago and it has been running like a sewing machine. I've put at least 1000 rounds through the Glock 19 without any issues. I plan to run a few hundred rounds though the Glock 34 with the new Zev Tech trigger kit ASAP this weekend and I hope all goes well including the accuracy aspect of the pistol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you do decide to stick with the 34...
Taran tactical connector kit if you don't want full trigger group.
If you want full kit, Johnny Glocks.
Those are my picks based on my experience.

·
I'm not retired
7,250 Posts
Thought of a 1911/2011 in 45 or 9mm. Great triggers, heavy which I like, but may require work to keep them running right.
Personally, I'd use the Glock since all your other pistols are Glocks, but if you don't choose a 1911, don't let reliability be the reason. If you undo something the builder did, then you may have problems. Also, no one right now is building a 1911 that sucks, so choose your favorite roll mark.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Personally, I'd use the Glock since all your other pistols are Glocks, but if you don't choose a 1911, don't let reliability be the reason. If you undo something the builder did, then you may have problems. Also, no one right now is building a 1911 that sucks, so choose your favorite roll mark.
This ^^^^^^^^^
Right out of the box a $400 1911 platform gun is going to run. Anyone with a different experience is extremely unlucky. And--------------------no BTTF !!!!!!!!
s45

·
Registered
867 Posts
My Gen 3 34 is set up for IDPA ESP class. Dawson fixed sights, DK Custom Trigger, ZEV magwell, and Talon grips. It shoots better than I can and the DK trigger is outstanding!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My 35 is my almost everything game gun. It has my trigger job that breaks at 3.6#, avg of 10 pulls with a trigger gauge, negligible over travel, nice crisp break--------for a Glock trigger. (Running a 6# striker spring) SS captured guide rod, currently running a 14# spring. Someone's plastic magwell. Dawson .115 W FO front sight, Heine Slant Pro plain black rear. I can run my 140mm mags and major power ammo in Limited, take the magwell off and use standard mags with minor loads-------bam, it's production class. Same setup it's an SSP gun. Add the magwell, and it's an ESP gun. If I want a real change up, I break out a CZ or 1911. Life is good!
s45

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 35 is my almost everything game gun. It has my trigger job that breaks at 3.6#, avg of 10 pulls with a trigger gauge, negligible over travel, nice crisp break--------for a Glock trigger. (Running a 6# striker spring) SS captured guide rod, currently running a 14# spring. Someone's plastic magwell. Dawson .115 W FO front sight, Heine Slant Pro plain black rear. I can run my 140mm mags and major power ammo in Limited, take the magwell off and use standard mags with minor loads-------bam, it's production class. Same setup it's an SSP gun. Add the magwell, and it's an ESP gun. If I want a real change up, I break out a CZ or 1911. Life is good!
s45
You don't have any problems with slide failing to go into battery with 6lb striker spring and 14lb recoil spring?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You don't have any problems with slide failing to go into battery with 6lb striker spring and 14lb recoil spring?
Not at all. It passes safety check. Nice firm movement into battery, muzzle elevated as trigger resets.
s45

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I had a Glock 34 for USPSA and realized I would need to put a bunch of money into it to get it how I like it. I shot it worse then some of my other stock handguns. I decided to go a different route and bought a CZ Tactical Sport. Its all stock and its dramatically increase my scores. Works for me, may be worth looking into. You can buy one online with no waiting for $1100-$1250. It has an amazing trigger out of the box (around 2 pounds) and has hi cap mags. Lots of weight to manage recoil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Love Glocks but for pure fun with a gamer gun get a STI Trojan in 9mm. Buy from Dawson Percesion and get their CRP package and enjoy...

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
If you're considering something for competition first thing I'd do is open up a rule book and figure out what game I wanted to play. You'll really hate shooting a 34 in USPSA Limited for example.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot my 34 in limited, but I don't care about scoring. I will also say the cz tactical sports is an incredible out of the box pistol. I have one in 9mm and it is scary accurate, incredible trigger, and 20 round mags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts