Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have the 26. I am thinking of getting into a more powerful cartridge and I like 357 SIG. How does the 33 shoot compared to the 26? How snappy is it?

Reactions: Railsplitter

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
5,748 Posts
The round has a very flat trajectory. I don't notice it unless I'm shooting at a distance. Also, at a distance I notice that compared to most other rounds the 357sig bullet hits the target faster. With most rounds I hear the report from the pistol and then I hear the bullet strike the target. With the 357sig I only hear the report from firing the round because the bullet hits the target before the sound from the pistol subsides. As I've posted before, the 357sig isn't a round for the unwashed masses. It's more expensive to shoot 357sig and some shooters experience more recoil than with other more diminutive offerings.
My other favorite handgun cartridge is 45acp. One is big and slow and the other is small and fast. Makes no sense to me why those two calibers are the two I enjoy shooting the most.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Not horrible at all. It’s more than a 26, obviously, can’t ignore physics, but it’s controllable. Have owned both, and both are very fine little pistols. I got rid of my 33 because it was superfluous and I didn’t like feeding it post retirement.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have a G27 with a .357 Sig barrel (KKM) and carry it daily. Also have the .40 barrel and thinking about getting a 9mm conversion barrel. Use the 9mm for practice, carry the .357 Sig. To me at least, it’s the best carry gun on the market. Simply nothing out there that packs a punch like a G33 for its size. Easy to shoot if you have a good grip. Now, if you don’t plan on carrying it, skip over it and go for a G31 or a G35 with a .357 Sig barrel.

Another one to consider if you like the G26 and want something more powerful is the G39. That one is an absolute pleasure to shoot and GAP ammo is out there and available at the same price or less than the .357 Sig. Underwood has a fantastic 45 GAP round with its Xtreme Defender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
187 Posts
No recoil worth mentioning. Imo, Glock 27 has more recoil than 33. .357 sig is the real deal. When you fire a first mag, you fell in love with it.
You then realize what fun have you been missing up until now.
And you attract attention on a shooting range with this round. Flash and bang, plus most of the shooters know those who practice with .357 sig, .357 mag, .40 and 10mm are usually more experienced shooters. Unlike "wonder" nine fangirls who come into the store and when the seller ask them what they want, they reply with "i want a wonder nine".
Go for it, you wont regret.
State troopers carry this round for a reason.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
8,430 Posts
Recoil differences between 9mm, 357 SIG and 40 are often way overblown, yeah it will recoil more but not a lot more. Problem is ammo price, get used to paying $35-40+ a box of 50 FMJ.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You would be better off getting a 32 or even the 31 to make better use of the ballistics
Yeah i will never understand the need to go for a subcompact, instead of a compact or full size. Why limit yourself and loosing 30-50% of MV and accuracy.
The only use i can see for a subcompact is as a second backup gun in the ankle holster. As a primary handgun? Never. Even my small wife thinks Glock 27 and 33 are too small.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Yeah i will never understand the need to go for a subcompact, instead of a compact or full size. Why limit yourself and loosing 30-50% of MV and accuracy.
The only use i can see for a subcompact is as a second backup gun in the ankle holster. As a primary handgun? Never. Even my small wife thinks Glock 27 and 33 are too small.
I do, and so did several of my fellow LEOs. The 26,27,or 33 allows the use of the same full size mags and make for the almost perfect BUG. The realistic MV lost is around 10-15% and their are several articles and users that praise the Baby Glocks for their accuracy. I carry the 26.5 and about to get a 27.5 after shooting one. For me, it’s worth the extra money for a new holster. I don’t let me wife choose my EDC, so I’m good there. LOL But it’s a Baby Glock. Why carry bigger when just a change of mags and you have capability from 10-33?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
setting aside the expense of the 357 Sig and taking into account that your 26 is basically the same, from the dimensional aspect, as the 33, the question then becomes "how well do you shoot +P ammo in your 26?"

looking at "Ballistics by the Inch" web site and compare the Cor Bon 125 JHP +P 9 mm load in a 4 inch barrel to the Cor Bon 125 JHP 357 Sig loading in a 4 inch barrel you get the following.

CB 125 JHP +P 9 mm 4" = 1226 fps

CB 125 JHP 357 Sig 4"= 1468 fps

the 357 Sig load get 242 more FPS, roughly a 20% increase over the 9 mm +P

calculate for muzzle energy and you get 598 ft/lbs. for the 357 Sig and 417 ft/lbs. for the 9 mm +P.

the 357 Sig load get 181 more ft/lbs., a 43% increase over the 9 mm +P.

now all this is subjective, how a shooter reacts/controls recoil differs form one person to the next, so back to the question, "how well do you shoot +P ammo in your 26?"

if you don't shoot +P ammo in your 26 well and I mean a steady diet of it, moving up to a more powerful round will show all your inconsistencies in handling your weapon and make it worse, and if your not willing to put the time, effort and expense into correcting those issue, don't get a 33.

·
Registered
536 Posts
.357 Sig is hotter that 9mm +p+ in a G33

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
A little off topic but concerning my g23 and g32, the g32 is much more accurate, easier to shoot. Yes the recoil it slightly more than the g23 but it is different. The g32 hits me and the g23 snaps me. Hit me is going back in to my hand and snap me is up. Maybe this comparison will help you.

That's my take. I carry the g32 almost consistently.

After shooting both, the g19 feels like a 22lr.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice thing about a subcompact in the case of say the Steyr S40 and the G33/27 is you can put a longer 4” barrel in it to retain any velocity loss over going to the 3.7” or 3.4” barrel. The barrel “snorkel” IMO is doable, especially if it’s threaded with a thread protector or on a Steyr. Leaving you now with a more easy to conceal firearm. That’s even with a +2 base plate extension for the 33.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked BBTI (Ballistics by the Inch) and 357 SIG out of a 3" barrel has about 300 FPS more velocity than 9mm. That's significant. Now to start cruising gunbroker...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I EDC‘d a 27 for several years and shot it a LOT. In about ’16 I got a 33 for EDC. I shot it less than the 27 but often, and carried it for 3 years until taking wife’s hand me down 43. Observations..the 27 has more recoil torque, slower back on target for 2nd shot. The recoil of the 33 better. Push back, raised muzzle, energy dissipated back into my arm. Not hard to hold on to w/ or w/o extended base. Supposed to be an awesome muzzle blast but i never shot it w/o ear protection. From inside a car, is it much worse on your ears than a 9 from a G26? I don’t know. One box of 50 for either was enough (but shooting often extended past 50). Not pleasant to spend long practice sessions with. Yes, 357 flatter, faster than many pistol rds. Still, if you want the .357 max magnum performance the rd was created to duplicate, you want a longer barrel. at SD distances is the 357 3” barrel advantage over a +p or std pressure 9mm rd pronounced? The rd is costly. In best times a bargain was 2x the cost of 9. I like the cartridge and still carry 33 ocassionaly, but when i feel the need for speed, i shoot my sig 229 ,357. That’s a pleasure as is shooting 40 w/ the drop in 40 barrel. But the 229 is bulky and heavier to carry, and i think the 26/27/33 guns are light, conceal very nicely IWB and carry comfortably. Can you rent one to give it a try out?

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I EDC‘d a 27 for several years and shot it a LOT. In about ’16 I got a 33 for EDC. I shot it less than the 27 but often, and carried it for 3 years until taking wife’s hand me down 43. Observations..the 27 has more recoil torque, slower back on target for 2nd shot. The recoil of the 33 better. Push back, raised muzzle, energy dissipated back into my arm. Not hard to hold on to w/ or w/o extended base. Supposed to be an awesome muzzle blast but i never shot it w/o ear protection. From inside a car, is it much worse on your ears than a 9 from a G26? I don’t know. One box of 50 for either was enough (but shooting often extended past 50). Not pleasant to spend long practice sessions with. Yes, 357 flatter, faster than many pistol rds. Still, if you want the .357 max magnum performance the rd was created to duplicate, you want a longer barrel. at SD distances is the 357 3” barrel advantage over a +p or std pressure 9mm rd pronounced? The rd is costly. In best times a bargain was 2x the cost of 9. I like the cartridge and still carry 33 ocassionaly, but when i feel the need for speed, i shoot my sig 229 ,357. That’s a pleasure as is shooting 40 w/ the drop in 40 barrel. But the 229 is bulky and heavier to carry, and i think the 26/27/33 guns are light, conceal very nicely IWB and carry comfortably. Can you rent one to give it a try out?

Load your G33 with Underwood ammo and you will have all the gun you will ever need. I don't even think of the G33 as being a subcompact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts