Glock 33 Round Capacity Magazine Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by oISHUTupNrocKIo, Mar 4, 2010.

1. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 33 Rd Capacity Magazine from MidwayUSA, and theres a "rattling" problem with it. As I got up in the range of 20 rounds in the magazine, it rattles when I lightly shake it, and gets very loud when violently shaken. This was about $40 and is very annoying because it is a Glock Factory mag, and I paid a good price on it. When I have is with me or in my gun when someone breaks in the house, I DON'T want it rattling, period. I actually made a video on it, answers would be greatly appreciated, and I doubt this is normal, but if it is, let me know. Thanks...

Glock 33 Round Capacity Magazine Problem Video

:wavey:

2. oISHUTupNrocKIo

3. Adionik

Adionik

Both my 9mm 33rd magazines work perfectly.

Can't say the same for my G21 mags...rattle like crazy. I stripped them, but didn't fix the issue.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. E-Money

E-Money

Sounds normal to me. Some of my Glock factory mags do that when fully loaded and stop as soon as I insert it in the gun as the top round is pressed down to hold all rounds tight.

What you can do as you load the mag is slap the back of it against your plam every so often to make sure all rounds are seating properly. Give that a try.

Actually, take the mag as is is (28 rounds full) and give it a few good wacks and see if it seats them and stops the rattling.

I don't know how common this is with the G18 mags as I've never loaded one up. I have one but just never got around to playing with it.

Good luck.

5. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

all my mags rattle a little, but not "violently"

6. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Thanks man, I did actually everything you said in your post before I posted this and still couldn't put my finger on the problem. When I hold the bottom of the mag the sound comes from the place where the 5th round would sit (theres not a witness whole there) so maybe its that round.

If you watch the end of my video, you see how bad it is.

7. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Normal.

The bullets do tend to move around a tad as you load that looooong double stacked magazine and they sit at an angle.

You can most likely find where the "rattle" is comming from by varying where you squeeze the sides of the magazine as you shake it. You'll then notice the "rattle" is in a different spot (or disappears altogether) each time you load the magazine - it is usually between half way up and the top tho.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

Have you used it, as in actually put it in a Glock and shot it? It might just rattle, almost all of my Glocks rattle and a magazine or two does as well but they work.

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Glock mags rattle.
    Especially since the change to metal lined.
    US market wanted drop free.
    :supergrin:

10. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

If you don't get any shooting malfunctions, then what's the problem?

Zombies don't care if your mags rattle.

11. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

12. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

That mag rattle happens with some frequency with Glock mags. It is a function of changing cartridge orientation within the mag.

In a loaded Glock mag, the rounds in the lower "double-stacked" part of the mag lie with the cartridge base flush against the back of the mag. When the mag is in the gun, those rounds therefore lie in a nose-down position. The round at the top of the mag, however, is in a nose-UP orientation. Therefore, the cartridge must change orientation as it rises in the mag from the body up to the feedlips. This shift happens in the area where the mag contracts from double-stack to single-stack. Sometimes, a cartridge in the mag is riding right on that transition point, and the round is free to flop up and down a bit between the nose-down and nose-up positions; therefore, the rattle when the mag is shaken. This may happen on any double-stack Glock mags, not just the 33-rounders.

It is like the firing pin rattle you can sometimes hear on a Glock; a normal part of the Glock experience.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. knattyman

knattyman Big Daddy

Definitely true, I ordered my Glock 18 mags from Midway as well, although they were only $32.00, they dont rattle when fully loaded, but I have that problem with all 6 of my Glock 30 magazines including the 2 that came with the weapon, they are all Glock Factory Mags, but whenI load them with that infamous 10th round, they all rattle just like your 33 rounder, they shoot fine and have had no problems or malfunctions. Hope this eases your mind a little.

14. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

The rattle you speak of was actually designed into the magazine. It was put there as a tell-tale indicator of imminent failure. If you would like you can ship any 'failing' equipment to me for proper disposal.:whistling:

This goes for the for the striker/firing pin rattle too. If you don't watch out you will have a KB real soon.

15. oISHUTupNrocKIo

It does help thanks, I just didn't like the fact that it rattled because if your in a situation where you don't wanna be heard, it could be a problem, I'm just weird like that, but not problems with my G17 mag.

16. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

I have extra 9rd mags for my G30 that do this. The 10rd ones I have do not. They stop rattling once loaded into the gun. I own eight 33rd Glock G18 mags and none of them rattle either.

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Normal, load & shoot & be happy.

18. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Usually if you gave the bottom of a regular glock mag a good wack slap with the palm of you hand the rattle will disappear or at least lessen. The problem with the 33rd mags is that is a lot of bullet to smack straight and you might break you hand :supergrin:

I have 6 33rd mags (I own a Kel Tec Sub), most don't rattle and if they do its not loud enough for me to notice.

I do have a G19 mag that does rattle a good bit though and I usually smack it a few times to keep it quiet.

1000 Zombies are wandering aimless and oISHUTupNrocKIo is trying to sneak over to a defensive position when suddenly...

RATTLE, RATTLE

BRAINS!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  19. oISHUTupNrocKIo

See thats why I want it to stop rattling... those damn zombies are tricky :rofl:.

20. James Dean

James Dean

I like your video. If someone is in your house in the middle of the night you can also beat them over the head with that 33 round mag. LOL That was funny